Any thoughts on this itinerary??

carol luvs cruisin

We've never taken a cruise in Asia and would appreciate       any thoughts/comments

Jan 8, 2023

Singapore

DEPARTS 11:00 PM
LEARN MORE
Jan 9, 2023 - 
Jan 10, 2023

Days At Sea

ARRIVES 12:00 AM
DEPARTS 11:59 PM
LEARN MORE
Jan 11, 2023 - 
Jan 12, 2023

Laem Chabang (Bangkok), Thailand
OVERNIGHT
ARRIVES 08:00 AM
DEPARTS 06:00 PM
LEARN MORE
Jan 13, 2023

Ko Kood, Thailand
TENDER REQUIRED
DEPARTS 05:00 PM
LEARN MORE
Jan 14, 2023

Sihanoukville, Cambodia
VISA REQUIRED
ARRIVES 07:00 AM
DEPARTS 08:00 PM
LEARN MORE
Jan 15, 2023

Days At Sea

LEARN MORE
Jan 16, 2023 - 
Jan 17, 2023

Ho Chi Minh City (Saigon), Vietnam
OVERNIGHT, TIMES SUBJECT TO TIDAL CONDITIONS, VISA REQUIRED FOR SOME
ARRIVES 09:00 AM
DEPARTS 04:00 PM
LEARN MORE
Jan 18, 2023 - 
Jan 19, 2023

Days At Sea

LEARN MORE
Jan 20, 2023

Port Klang (Kuala Lumpur), Malaysia

DEPARTS 11:00 PM
LEARN MORE
Jan 21, 2023

Malacca, Malaysia
TENDER REQUIRED
DEPARTS 05:00 PM
LEARN MORE
Jan 22, 2023

Singapore

LEARN MORE

Edited by carol luvs cruisin

Sound like good stops. We were in Kuala Lumpur just before the pandemic.  I think it was about an hours ride into town from port. Definitely visit the Batu caves. They are amazing.   If you can, spend some extra days in Singapore. So much to see.

We stayed 4 days in Singapore .  Got the train card that lets you have unlimited train rides for $10 a day. Go to the Gardens by the Bay....be outside by the trees at sundown...the music starts to play and the trees light up.

16 hours ago, carlmm said:

Interesting cities, yet note that most of them require a lengthy bus or car ride.

I second the suggestion to stay in Singapoe for a couple of days.

Yes, I know there are some long bus rides involved but since there are overnight stops I thought we’d have more time for sightseeing.  Hopefully the long bus rides won’t put a damper on things.    Does anyone know how difficult it is to get a visa for Vietnam and Cambodia?   

19 hours ago, carol luvs cruisin said:

Yes, I know there are some long bus rides involved but since there are overnight stops I thought we’d have more time for sightseeing.  Hopefully the long bus rides won’t put a damper on things.    Does anyone know how difficult it is to get a visa for Vietnam and Cambodia?   

I arranged for a private tour for 6 of us in Kuala Lumpur. I think it was about an hour ride. But I loved it. The hghiway took us past all these amazing huge apartments.  Our guide gave a running commentary.  I found the hour to be fine. We had also asked our guide to take us somewhere where locals might eat lunch. Loved it!

The fact that you're overnight in those ports is good. We did many of them just before Covid and it wasn't great. For example, Ho Chi Minh was 2.5 hours on a bus to get there.. about 3.5 hours to look around and then 2.5 hours on the bus back to the port. Bangkok was similar from memory as was Kuala Lumpur. All the Aussies onboard were complaining about Sihanoukville (think they must have been expecting a resort like Bali).  it was certainly very much a work in progress port.. very dusty, dirty and construction going on everywhere (although we enjoyed it!). Singapore - allow as much time for there as you can. We had 4 nights prior and 3 nights after and it just flew by. So much to see and do!  

• 1 month later...
On 9/9/2022 at 9:49 AM, carol luvs cruisin said:

Hi David, reading your cruise, done Asia many many times and always used same travel company and wish she did the whole world.  I have done many tours, most in Nam, but others in thailand, Cambodia and Malaysia with ngoan.le@travelauthenticasia.com.  She can help you with all paper work and you do pay up front, tell her you chatted with me on line.  I promise you will be happy if you deal with Ngoan who is the owner.  Rita K.

• 2 weeks later...

I have lived in SE Asia for almost 25 years, and have been to all those ports and cities several times, both on  cruise ships and land vacations. I have lived in Thailand and Singapore.  So here is the breakdown:

Laem Chabang is not Bangkok it is one hour away with zero traffic, and normal time would be 1 1/2 to two hours travel time. It is also a cargo port, from the dock to the main road is a good distance away. The closest major resort area is Pattaya, about 30 minutes to the south. 

Koh Kood is a small Island a few hours away from  Laem Chabang, halfway to your next port call. Nice beaches, diving, natural setting, limited tourist style shopping, and wildlife. Along with some very nice resorts. 

Sihanoukville does not really have a lot to offer, it was the beach/ExPat  area in  Cambodia, about an hour south of the Capital city. Known for its seedy bars and entertainment.  About 5 years ago the Chinese came in and purchased large tracts of land to build gaming and entertainment complexes... but the economy changed and most are half built. 

Ho Chi Minh City (Saigon),  The main cruise port is a cargo port about 90 minutes outside of the city. But your guide talks about tides.... only small cruise ships travel up river to the port closer to the city. So you must be on a smaller ship. HCMC is great, lots of history, people, shopping, so great areas to tour around. 

Port Klang (Kuala Lumpur) It is a small port at least an hour and a half from KL, there always seems to be traffic... Best to hire a car and driver at the port for the day. KL is another great place to tour. The twin towers are very popular, Chinatown, and several observation towers that have good views of the city. 

Malacca, Malaysia  Small city with about a half a million people friendly, you can walk this port if you want. Another stop because KL is really just an overnight away from Singapore.

Your start and end Singapore. Singapore is our favorite weekend getaway spot.  Before Covid we would visit at least 2 times a year with cruises and 4 or more times just staying in the city. Great subway system, taxis are 100% fair... the city is very very safe. You could spend two weeks in Singapore and not get bored.

Hope this information helps you.

• Like 1