Choosing air carrier to Rio

Petoonya

Hello,

I am trying to build air deviation flights to Rio.

I am leaving out of Seattle and can build a connection into these cities:

American Airlines from Miami...

Continental from Houston...

Delta from Atlanta...

or Varig from LA.

I'm leaning towards Continental or American. Any experiences to comment on from these carriers or connections in these cities? (I know that Delta should prob be my last choice with all their probs but still want to include as a possible.)

Thanks!

I fly American Airlines regularly and I have flown them between the US and Santiago, Chile and the US and Buenos Aires, Argentina. They fly regularly to South America and Miami is one of the major hubs for this travel. You might want to also see if they fly to Rio from Dallas Fort Worth Airport and if they do what the connection from Seattle thru Dallas Fort Worth (DFW) would run.

Keith

Keith,

Thanks very much. Have two questions.

If I fly AA via Miami from Seattle would have to connect in Chicago Dallas LAX Newark or at JFK. I would have 2-3 hour connection time in all cities. Which connection city would you choose- I am already thinking no for Chicago because I'm from there originally- and weather in springtime can even be a hangup.

I hate having any connections before doing the international piece prior to a cruise. But we're flying in day prior so have some time for problems I guess.

The other piece is- on any of these connections we have less than two hours prior to departure from Miami for Rio. I've never left the US when I was not leaving from Seattle and assuming they would not do the passport collection, international check-in until we arrive in Miami. If our flight is late, again we run the risk of missing the flight due to a longer checkin process in Miami. Am I correct in assuming the international checkin doesn't happen til we leave from Miami? Or does it happen at the point of departure?

Thanks for your help!

I would go with Dallas (DFW). What time of year will you be flying? Obviously, you always run the risk of delays at all airports but I think Dallas seems the more logical of the airport to select.

Another suggestion. I see that if you plug in Seattle to Rio it gives you the various flights including the one to DFW. And that one leaves Seattle 9 somthing and gets to DFW at 3 something leaving you a couple hour layover.

Call American and ask them if you can take an earlier flight from Seattle to DFW. I see there is one that leaves Seattle around 7:00 in the morning and gets to Dallas at 12:50 Noon. There is even one that leaves an hour earlier than that getting you to DFW at around Noon. With either flight you would have more time a DFW should you have a delay in the flight.

Now let's say you decide to leave on one of the earlier flights there are then earlier flights from DFW to Miami such as one that leaves DFW at 3:24 pm and one that leaves at 4:24 pm. If you took the very early flight out of Seattle you would now have atleast a three hour layover at DFW. Then if you took the 3:24 flight out of DFW to Miami then you would have a 4 and 1/2 hour layover at Miami. I'm not sure if this would change the fare or not but if it was me I would consider that so I have more time in Miami just in case I encountered any delays along the way.

Keith

Double check with American Airlines but I am sure that you will do you international check in at the Seattle airport since that is where you are beginning your flight and you would be flying solely with American Airlines even though you have multiple connections. So, when you get to Miami you would already have been checked in from your starting point in Seattle.

Regardless, luggage is booked direct to final overseas destination. Passport is checked at initial departure point. If the International "departure gate" at Miami is all within the secured area, then Passport check, hand luggage check, and personal screening will not be required at Miami. For example, Seattle Departure Gates are all within secured area of the domestic arrivals. So in flying SFO to overseas via Seattle, neither passport check nor personal security check was required at Seattle airport. The problem is that it is hard to find out because even the Airline agents do not know! /Sultan

Keith,

.... I've never left the US when I was not leaving from Seattle and assuming they would not do the passport collection, international check-in until we arrive in Miami. If our flight is late, again we run the risk of missing the flight due to a longer checkin process in Miami. Am I correct in assuming the international checkin doesn't happen til we leave from Miami? Or does it happen at the point of departure?

Thanks for your help!

We have just returned from 7 weeks in South America. We flew American Airlines from L.A. to Miami and then Miami to Rio. We also flew Quito to Miami and Miami to L.A. with them. They were just alright. The planes are old and do not have any of the modern amenities that we are used to when flying down here.

We also used Varig between Rio and Iguazu and return. Their aircraft was a lot younger.

We also flew with Lan Chile four times and they were the best of all the aircraft we flew with other than Cathay Pacific and Qantas. Nothing can beat those two airlines in the U.S.

I have flow Varig from LA to both Rio and Sao Paulo. Both times it was actually a code-sharing flight and the plane and crew were United. Got a better price than I could have through United for the same flight.

Guest slrman

I concur on flying TAM or Varig, Brazilian airlines. The flights are generally cheaper, the seats further apart and the food much better. If you like soft drinks, be sure to ask for a Guaraná, regular or diet. It has become my soft drink or refrigerante of choice here in Brazil.

Having said all that, I will add that I have flown both United and Continental to Brazil from Miami and Newark, NJ and was very happy with their price and service.

Nancy,

I have searched on TAM's website and can't find their flights. Do I have to call to get availability?

Thanks....and appreciate the info from everyone about Varig as well. I know they've been teetering financially but hopefully they'll be better off by the time we need to fly.

Guest slrman

A Guaraná is a local drink made from a fruit that grows in Northeast Brazil. It is very popular here and is also available in some areas of the USA. I prefer it to Coca-Cola (called Coca here) or Pepsi.

I looked on Travelocity to find the TAM flight schedule, then booked the tickets thru http://www.airlineconsolidtors.com. The tickets were much cheaper thru them and we had no problem. They sent us the tickets right away and then I called TAM to reserve our seats.

Sirman - thanks for the info on the drink. I am anxious to try it.

Nancy

Guest slrman
Slrman - thanks for the info on the drink. I am anxious to try it.

You will also like the Brazilian national drink, the caipirinha. Be careful though. After about two, you'll think you can Samba. And who knows? Maybe you can? I cannot, my wife says so.

I love Guaraná and now have a source in the USA near me (Antartica is the best brand) to purchase it but be careful. It is a soda or soft drink. The berry that is made from is a strong stimulant...similar to but not the same as caffeine. You can get palpitations, etc. if you have a heart problem. It does perk you up though (so of like drinking a Mountain Dew).

Archived