Connection Time and Checked Luggage (or not)

CDNPolar

There are a number of threads on here in various forums that people are discussing the challenges with airports, staffing, luggage, connection times, etc.

From our experience in the past year with multiple flights - all connecting - we don't book any connection now that is not at least 2.5 hours. 

We have flights coming up to Spain where we transfer through Amsterdam in 23 days and there was a 1 hour 45 minute connection time available and we opted instead for a 6.5 hour connection time.

Because we are coming out of Toronto, we are most often connecting in Europe somewhere, and most often in the Schengen region.  This means that we have to do a passport control before moving on to our next flight.

We have had nightmare close calls with 2 hour connections where our initial flight out of Toronto Pearson is delayed, and of course that means delay in arriving in Europe, then massively long lines at passport control, and then on top of that having to change terminals... and if anyone has had to go from B to A in Frankfurt, you know what I am talking about.

To us, air travel is "hurry up and wait" and even though we are extremely seasoned air travellers, we just don't see the need for the anxiety of short connections.  Yeah, we would rather not have to endure an extra four hours in an airport, but the comfort of knowing that we don't have to be stressed and we can take our time comes with benefits.  We have RUN to gates and barely made it before aircraft doors have closed.  We have been the ones saying excuse me, I have a short connection, can I step in front of you.  There is no need to get your blood pressure up.

We "buy" credit cards that we have no intention of using to charge anything JUST for the airport lounge benefits.  The one year annual fee is nothing compared to the value that you get from the airport lounges when you have a longer connection.  With a 6 hour connection time, you cannot spend the whole time in the lounge as some only allow you to enter within 3 or 4 hours of your flight time, but you can shop the airport, find a quiet place and listen to an audio book or play a game and then move into the lounge and have a bite to eat and a drink before your flight.  Even if you pay per lounge visit, if you look at what you would spend in an airport restaurant for a meal and alcohol, it is often more than the lounge visit costs.

We spend a lot of time choosing our airline, our connection airports, our flight times, the aircraft type, and the seating configuration.  One key detail that is always there for us now is the connection time.  We also often - especially for cruises or a tour type package - arrive the day before and pay the one night hotel.  This is also a key consideration when we head into Canadian winter as there can be weather delays.

Don't create stress in your travels.  There is nothing worse in the world than being late for your cruise or tour.  Choose your connection times wisely.

Happy flying!

• Like 7

Thanks for the tips. These are all things we have learned since retiring and travelling a lot more. Re the lounges: so much more relaxing, and worth it. There is no way I would book a flight the same day as  cruise, but many people do. Be sure to have good travel insurance- this has saved us thousands in hospital fees.

1 hour ago, CDNPolar said:

There are a number of threads on here in various forums that people are discussing the challenges with airports, staffing, luggage, connection times, etc.

From our experience in the past year with multiple flights - all connecting - we don't book any connection now that is not at least 2.5 hours. 

We have flights coming up to Spain where we transfer through Amsterdam in 23 days and there was a 1 hour 45 minute connection time available and we opted instead for a 6.5 hour connection time.

Because we are coming out of Toronto, we are most often connecting in Europe somewhere, and most often in the Schengen region.  This means that we have to do a passport control before moving on to our next flight.

We have had nightmare close calls with 2 hour connections where our initial flight out of Toronto Pearson is delayed, and of course that means delay in arriving in Europe, then massively long lines at passport control, and then on top of that having to change terminals... and if anyone has had to go from B to A in Frankfurt, you know what I am talking about.

To us, air travel is "hurry up and wait" and even though we are extremely seasoned air travellers, we just don't see the need for the anxiety of short connections.  Yeah, we would rather not have to endure an extra four hours in an airport, but the comfort of knowing that we don't have to be stressed and we can take our time comes with benefits.  We have RUN to gates and barely made it before aircraft doors have closed.  We have been the ones saying excuse me, I have a short connection, can I step in front of you.  There is no need to get your blood pressure up.

We "buy" credit cards that we have no intention of using to charge anything JUST for the airport lounge benefits.  The one year annual fee is nothing compared to the value that you get from the airport lounges when you have a longer connection.  With a 6 hour connection time, you cannot spend the whole time in the lounge as some only allow you to enter within 3 or 4 hours of your flight time, but you can shop the airport, find a quiet place and listen to an audio book or play a game and then move into the lounge and have a bite to eat and a drink before your flight.  Even if you pay per lounge visit, if you look at what you would spend in an airport restaurant for a meal and alcohol, it is often more than the lounge visit costs.

We spend a lot of time choosing our airline, our connection airports, our flight times, the aircraft type, and the seating configuration.  One key detail that is always there for us now is the connection time.  We also often - especially for cruises or a tour type package - arrive the day before and pay the one night hotel.  This is also a key consideration when we head into Canadian winter as there can be weather delays.

Don't create stress in your travels.  There is nothing worse in the world than being late for your cruise or tour.  Choose your connection times wisely.

Happy flying!

Good summary.   In regards to credit cards, I have a card from a major bank based in Nova Scotia that has a visa card that gives free access to six lounge visits.  If you keep $5K in the account they also waive the annual fee for the card.  With it you also get a free safety deposit box and some other perks.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tert333 said:

Good summary.   In regards to credit cards, I have a card from a major bank based in Nova Scotia that has a visa card that gives free access to six lounge visits.  If you keep $5K in the account they also waive the annual fee for the card.  With it you also get a free safety deposit box and some other perks.

That card also offers no foreign transaction fees.

2 hours ago, CDNPolar said:

I am the same.  Particularly if checking luggage. 
A group of friends are planning a trip on March break.  When looking at flights, the cheapest one had a 1 hour and 10 minute connection through YUL.  I never considered it because the time is just too short.  Pre-covid mess the recommended shortest connection time through YUL to the US according to AC is 50 minutes.  

We contacted a few travel agents to see if we could get group travel rates on flights.  Every single travel agent we spoke with quoted that flight and not one comment about the short connection time or current state of air travel. 

I also have a credit card that has lounge visits.  I had a 6 hour layover in Toronto in May only to find that none of the lounges that I could access were available. They either weren't open yet or in an area that required me to leave the secure area to access.  

I ended up paying for a lounge visit for the same reason you mentioned.

3 hours ago, tert333 said:

Bank of Nova Scotia is based (headquartered) in Toronto.   Just like Bank of Montreal is based (headquartered) in Toronto.

The Bank of Nova Scotia Passport visa card does not have foreign currency conversion fee (2.5% for most CCs) and provides 6 Priority Pass lounge accesses.  They converted the reward points to Scene points last year and had problems, and lost mover than 35k points in that conversion (which they admit having system glitch, have a case file, but still didn't get those points back to me yet).

CIBC Aventura visa card has FYF (First year free) and 4 lounge visits by Visa Airport Lounges.   BMO Ascend World Elite Master Card also has FYF, and 4 Lounge Key lounge accesses.

Edited by Middleager

3 hours ago, Middleager said:

Bank of Nova Scotia is based (headquartered) in Toronto.   Just like Bank of Montreal is based (headquartered) in Toronto.

The Bank of Nova Scotia Passport visa card does not have foreign currency conversion fee (2.5% for most CCs) and provides 6 Priority Pass lounge accesses.  They converted the reward points to Scene points last year and had problems, and lost mover than 35k points in that conversion (which they admit having system glitch, have a case file, but still didn't get those points back to me yet).

CIBC Aventura visa card has FYF (First year free) and 4 lounge visits by Visa Airport Lounges.   BMO Ascend World Elite Master Card also has FYF, and 4 Lounge Key lounge accesses.

Yes, you are correct.  I was saying that just so that people would be able to guess the bank and I would not be in any violation of any cruisecritic "third-party recommendation" rules. 🙂

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, tert333 said:

Yes, you are correct.  I was saying that just so that people would be able to guess the bank and I would not be in any violation of any cruisecritic "third-party recommendation" rules. 🙂

Third-party recommendation rules apply to travel agencies. Pretty much everything else is open for discussion, so feel free to name your favourite bank, credit card, hotel or suntan lotion.

• Like 1

There are other CCs that don't charge foreign currency conversion fee (usually 2.5%).  Such as Brim (no AF), HSBC World Elite MC (currently has FYF),  BNS has in addition to the Passport visa also the Amex (yes Amex but under BNS branding) gold an platinum cards, but they all charge AF.

2 hours ago, Middleager said:

There are other CCs that don't charge foreign currency conversion fee (usually 2.5%).  Such as Brim (no AF), HSBC World Elite MC (currently has FYF),  BNS has in addition to the Passport visa also the Amex (yes Amex but under BNS branding) gold an platinum cards, but they all charge AF.

There is also Home Trust Visa, no AF, but no additional benefits for purchases made in foreign currencies. (They have a 1% rebate on other purchases.)

I think that one thing we have learned over many years of international travel, is just because an airline or a travel agent says you can make the connection, does not mean you will.  Airlines have minimum standards for connections but this is in ideal and perfect circumstances.  We are not today in ideal or perfect circumstances.  YOU have the ability to have influence on your air experience but choosing carefully.  HOWEVER, even with the best intentions, and choosing all the right connection times, you can still arrive without luggage, or miss a connection because the flight was cancelled or whatever....

• Like 2

On 9/9/2022 at 6:27 AM, 1kaper said:

I am the same.  Particularly if checking luggage. 
A group of friends are planning a trip on March break.  When looking at flights, the cheapest one had a 1 hour and 10 minute connection through YUL.  I never considered it because the time is just too short.  Pre-covid mess the recommended shortest connection time through YUL to the US according to AC is 50 minutes.  

We contacted a few travel agents to see if we could get group travel rates on flights.  Every single travel agent we spoke with quoted that flight and not one comment about the short connection time or current state of air travel. 

You have to allow time for US Customs and Border Protection clearance at YUL.  If you don’t have Nexus you may not make the flight.  

31 minutes ago, Coquitlam Cruiser said:

You have to allow time for US Customs and Border Protection clearance at YUL.  If you don’t have Nexus you may not make the flight.  

exactly. 

none of the group have Nexus. I’m shocked a travel agent would even suggest it.