Accesible rooms and mobility scooters

Opstrat

hello all. there are 11 of us going on symphony next july from barcelona.

both my mum and dad will be needing to take mobility scooters with them. 

question is do they need an accessble room if they are bringing scooters. the site states they must be kept in the room which is fine. 

the scooters are wide enough to fit through standard room doors so they are fine there but there are some other cruise companies that require the accesible room even for scooters.

thanks.

1 hour ago, Opstrat said:

hello all. there are 11 of us going on symphony next july from barcelona.

both my mum and dad will be needing to take mobility scooters with them. 

question is do they need an accessble room if they are bringing scooters. the site states they must be kept in the room which is fine. 

the scooters are wide enough to fit through standard room doors so they are fine there but there are some other cruise companies that require the accesible room even for scooters.

thanks.

We rent a scooter from Special Needs at Sea.  They only ask what your cabin number is. I don't think they really care.  Royal has never asked.  It would be more comfortable for you if you could get an accessible cabin but it's not a deal breaker.  Call Royal or your TA to put yourself on a wait list for the accessible cabin.   If you are in a regular cabin where the bed is not by the window, balcony or whatever, it will be snug. Better if the bed IS by the balcony door or a window.  What you can do is have your cabin steward pick it up at night and they will charge it and bring it back in the AM or when you want it. You don't have to but you can.  A Junior Suite is a good cabin size for a scooter.  There's a top on CC for handicapped cruising and they have a lot of info.  You can also ask Royal for a shower chair which is helpful.  You can bring those removable handles for the shower also.  We also bring a bath mat so the shower is not slippery.

Edited by torpeedo
  • Like 2

27 minutes ago, GJustice said:

ONE scooter should work, but I'm not sure ANY room smaller than a suite will have room for two. 

Absolutely!!!  Never get two in a "regular" cabin!!  I didn't catch that it was both Mom and Dad!!

Edited by torpeedo

Can your parents stand up in the shower? Keep in mind that their standard room showers are very small. The chair may not fit inside the shower. Also , there are no grab bars in the bathroom by the toilet or in the shower. And it's either a step up or down into the bathroom. Can they handle that? I don't know their situation, but my wife is a stroke survivor and these are the things I need to consider.

If you decide to book a junior suite, if it's not accessible it would have a bath tub and not a shower cubicle, which might be difficult for Mum & Dad to use.     I didn't realise this when we booked a Junior suite a few years ago, although the room was large enough for my scooter, the bath tub caused me issues with my mobility.   A normal sized cabin would be too small to keep 2 mobility scooters in, unless as someone else has mentioned, that the cabin steward takes them away overnight, and returns them next day.  

An accessible balcony room will have space to park 2 scooters, a small ramp into the bathroom (so no need to step up over the threshold, a fold down seat in the shower and an adjustable shower head (on a pole and removable). I haven't been inside an accessible interior room but would imagine it to be similar.