HAL vaccination and testing changes again…

Djb4CC

2 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

Country requirements for entry can differ for cruise ships versus for other types of entry (just look at Canada, for example.)  Same is true here. Greece is apparently requiring all cruise passengers who will be visiting a port in Greece (regardless of embarkation point or length of cruise) to present a positive test result (from a monitored test) prior to boarding. 

The cruise lines vary slightly in how they are presenting this info, but so far I am seeing that Princess and Celebrity also have the same requirement in addition to HAL.  It is not an error on HAL's part.

I don’t see any cruises embarking or visiting Greece on the latest Enhanced Health Protocol list. If your cruise is not on the list you are to follow the Standard Protocol which requires no test if fully vaccinated or a at home test within 3 days if partially or not vaccinated.

Can you point us to where HAL states this testing is required?

My cruise is 26 days (Oct. 10-Nov 5) and the first segment - Civitavecchia to Trieste - is Greek intensive and yet is not on the Enhanced Protocol list - which if Greece is requiring negative tests prior to boarding, one would assume our voyage would be included.  The next two segments from Trieste to Barcelona and on are on the list but have only one stop in Greece  That's why I'm confused - my first segment should be on the list but isn't. Per the Enhanced Protocols pdf, "If your cruise falls under any part of an Enhanced Protocol itinerary, including back-to-back cruises or Collectors’ Voyages, the Enhanced Protocols apply."   This would indicate that we will need to test prior to boarding in Civitavecchia.  

I'm not intimating that this is an error - and I'm not arguing with the requirements - they are, after all, what  they are - but I'm trying to find out what why.  Of course the cruise industry must comply with local requirements and perhaps that is ultimately the answer, but inquiring minds just want to know.

24 minutes ago, indybelle said:

My cruise is 26 days (Oct. 10-Nov 5) and the first segment - Civitavecchia to Trieste - is Greek intensive and yet is not on the Enhanced Protocol list - which if Greece is requiring negative tests prior to boarding, one would assume our voyage would be included.  The next two segments from Trieste to Barcelona and on are on the list but have only one stop in Greece  That's why I'm confused - my first segment should be on the list but isn't. Per the Enhanced Protocols pdf, "If your cruise falls under any part of an Enhanced Protocol itinerary, including back-to-back cruises or Collectors’ Voyages, the Enhanced Protocols apply."   This would indicate that we will need to test prior to boarding in Civitavecchia.  

I'm not intimating that this is an error - and I'm not arguing with the requirements - they are, after all, what  they are - but I'm trying to find out what why.  Of course the cruise industry must comply with local requirements and perhaps that is ultimately the answer, but inquiring minds just want to know.

It’s confusing for sure.  I am also on the Greek Odyssey departing Oct 10th and that itinerary is not on the enhanced protocols list.  This means no test is required.  

However, every protocol on HAL’s website states that the new protocols do not apply to cruises embarking in Greece and presumably, by extension, any cruise which touches Greece.  This means that a test is required as it comes under enhanced protocols.

I’m just going to take my home test kits and book OnPoint until they get their ducks in a row.  

On 9/9/2022 at 9:55 PM, likeadisguise said:

"Fully vaccinated" means you've completed your primary series of COVID vaccinations (two shots Moderna or Pfizer, one shot J&J) at least 14 days before cruise embarkation.

"Up-to-date" means you're fully vaccinated AND, if eligible for a booster, have received at least one booster dose. This is required for what they're calling the "Enhanced Voyages"

Actually "Up-To-Date" depends upon when you sail and which ship you are on as to which protocols they are requiring.  Find your ship and sailing date on the latest PDF and look at the far right column to see which protocol you will sail under.  The last 2 pages of the PDF are the explanations of the various protocols listed for the ships.  Here is an example of Nieuw Statendam sailing out of Quebec City on Oct 8.  That particular sailing is under "ALASKA AND CANADA PROTOCOLS".  That particular protocol does not require any booster (although having them is fine).  Those passengers must be vaccinated and provide a negative covid test.  Notice the protocol above and below it both specify that boosters are required.  This particular one does not.  Each person needs to check carefully for the appropriate protocol for their specific cruise.  It is not one-size fits all.  

PickAShip.jpg

Protocols.png

• Like 1

Certain posters here apparently don’t realize one size doesn’t fit all. Example: VOLENDAM’s Nov. Transatlantic from Italy requires a Neg. test result for those who’ve been in Rome for a while pre-cruise. Cruiser’s schlepping around Rome looking for a pharmacy?? Unless the rules change, probably.  IMHO, dumb. 

• Like 1

To Miss G - you are right - and that would make sense except that our Oct. 10 voyage - which is pretty Greek intensive - isn't on the list so people who are just on the Civitavecchia to Trieste leg don't have to test?  Just seems odd.    I agree with you, though - we apparently come under the enhanced protocols since the voyages after us are on the list.  I just don't get why the Oct. 10 voyage is not listed.  At any rate, for us, we recovered from Covid in August so are within the 90 day window to show a positive test result and/or certificate of recovery (once again, the instructions are unclear on that) - see you aboard.

• Like 1

We are on the Volendam in November FFL to Manaus.   It is on the  Extended list so

testing is require.   I dont mind testing  ( no way would I fly to the US or anywhere else

without taking a test before we leave home  ) but recently  many lines have changed their

protocols to self testing without medical observation. Our last cruise was 16 days

on Island Princess  and we just tested ourselves.  They said confirmation was not required

but we took Pics of the tests in case they changed their minds.

This saves us £60   so I have asked HAL how is it that other Carnival group lines trust us

to do our own tests and they dont.

Also the suggested reason it might be needed  is for cruises  16 days + is a pointless 

exercise  if you  dont have to test for a 7,8,9,10;12,15 day cruise  what benefit is there

in testing for a 16 day+ one? You can test negative on sailday - 3  and be a carrier/spreader

by sailday+2   let alone 16+ .  The transit to a cruise dock Train Bus Plane Airport Hotel  are

ideal places to pick up Covid .  

On 9/9/2022 at 9:32 PM, retird said:

From their website:

Fully vaccinated means that a guest received all the doses in an authorized or approved primary COVID-19 vaccine series at least 14 days prior to embarkation.

by this definition you are fully vacvinated

Also, if your last shot was more than 270 days ago, you must have a boster to meet the fully vacinated specifications.

I fully understand and appreciate the frustration and bad feelings. Here's the straight stuff on CoVid test requirements for the Oosterdam at Civitavecchia.

1.  All cruise lines with ships touching Greece, even those in one port for one day, require testing -- not just Holland America. That's because of confusing guidance from Greece. And this is for guidance published since Sept 4.

2.  Holland America's published notices are CONFUSING. But a call to Holland America customer support got me this statement:  All passengers boarding in Civitavecchia require testing as described in HAL's documents. Simply put... You wanna sail? You needa test.

3.  What is completely unclear is what happens in Trieste. Do people who boarded in Civitavecchia need to be retested in Trieste? Does it make a difference whether you booked the 26 days from Civitavecchia to Barcelona as one cruise or two?  Nobody knows--not even HAL customer service.  I was told that all would be explained by the medical team on board Oosterdam.  Well...   good luck with that.

Richard

But if everyone embarking in Civitavecchia is required to test, why, then, is the Oosterdam Oct. 10-22 voyage from Civitavecchia to Trieste not on the enhanced protocol list?   That is seriously Greek intensive.   And since it's not currently on the list, and people show up for the 12 day cruise without a test because of that, how will HAL handle that at the dock.  It is confusing and it seems someone somewhere should have the answers.  But as you say, good luck with that.

We're on the 26 day booked as single cruise so it's not going to matter, we will test, but inquiring minds want to know why that cruise is not on the enhanced list.

• Like 1

I’m guessing omission but would really like to know definitively. You could speculate that it’s because the itinerary is less than 16 days but that would be guessing.  Just like we’re guessing that we do have to test or we do not have to test.  It’s a mystery.  🤷‍♀️ 😂

It sure is going to be a mess at boarding time.

My TA told me today that the reason for the testing requirements for the Oct. 22 voyages is that Spain is currently requiring a negative test - so it's not Greece.  Since the Oct. 10 voyage doesn't touch Spain, no test required and hence no Enhanced Protocol.  And as he said, of course this could all change by October.  So, I guess we just keep ourselves up dated on changes.  

My husband and I have recovered from Covid within the 90 day window so we will be presenting a letter of recovery/positive test result.  Anyone heard if there are issues with that?  It should see us through the entire cruise.

On 9/11/2022 at 1:13 PM, indybelle said:

It's confusing.  We are on the Oosterdam Oct. 10-Nov. 5.  The leg Oct. 10-22 is not on the Enhanced Protocol list.  The next two legs from Trieste to Barcelona (and the TransAt) do.  Instructions state that if any part of your voyage is listed in the Enhanced Protocols, you fall under them.  Hence, even though our Oct. 10 voyage is not listed, we apparently are required to present a test prior to boarding on the 10th.  What I don't understand is none of the countries we visit require any covid vaccines or tests to enter, even Greece (gr.usembassy.gov).  So I'm still trying to figure out why the testing.  I'm not against it, but I just can't make sense of the why, and of course it could change.  Anyone have an answer?

however, it requires wearing a piece of close over one's air intake ON the ship when it is in the countries waters - ha-ha!!!  We were by surprise on that "logic" 2 months ago while cruising on the Ponant Bougainville (we were tendered (1-2 miles away from the shore) on 9 ports of call of 12).

2 hours ago, indybelle said:

My TA told me today that the reason for the testing requirements for the Oct. 22 voyages is that Spain is currently requiring a negative test - so it's not Greece.  Since the Oct. 10 voyage doesn't touch Spain, no test required and hence no Enhanced Protocol.  And as he said, of course this could all change by October.  So, I guess we just keep ourselves up dated on changes.  

My husband and I have recovered from Covid within the 90 day window so we will be presenting a letter of recovery/positive test result.  Anyone heard if there are issues with that?  It should see us through the entire cruise.

For us the issue in the same situation was (see my previous post about the Ponant ship) they told us to test no matter what, and even if the test is still positive, they would allow us on the ship as long as we show a proof of the original positive test at least 14 days prior to embarkation and recovery.  I asked what's a point then to be tested now if we will be allowed to cruise in any event, and the answer was it is our requirement/protocol - bureaucracy at its greatest!!!

16 hours ago, indybelle said:

My TA told me today that the reason for the testing requirements for the Oct. 22 voyages is that Spain is currently requiring a negative test - so it's not Greece

There is some very useful information on the official Spain Travel Health site.  https://www.spth.gob.es/faq?tab=2
requirements vary for EU and US citizens.