Odyssey of the Seas - Holy Land - what I know now

CRUIS4ME

On 9/16/2022 at 8:51 PM, CRUIS4ME said:

Just got home after staying in Rome for three days.   I’ll continue with my observations in hopes it helps others.

getting off ship…disembarking.   This was no problem, no wait, quick, easy.   We asked our driver to be there at 0900 and it only took 10 mins from time we departed the cabin until we were in front of terminal with bags.

Israel, continued.    We did not get the “paper” in our room about the tickets.  We also were not use to reading the Compass on the app.   The last thing I wanted to do….but had to learn to do to survive the ships new way….is to carry my iPhone!

Personally thought it was sad to see everyone carrying their phones and noses stuck to a screen while on vacation…but  that’s what it is now a days.  So we just missed the ticket distribution and ended up with Number 36.   By the time we were called, stood in line, and processed it was 4 o’clock.   I agree with the comment to be careful about booking a private tour too early on DAY 1 in Israel because of the time it took to clear.   Our sailing was only in Israel for 2 1/2 days where’s I know others are scheduled for the full three days which gives more time.   Regarding the pace, absolutely we were if “full go mode” from the time we got to Israel for the full days.   We were up at 6 or 6:30 am.  Windjammer was open for breakfast.   We were on tour for 10 hrs per day, walking almost the entire time, in 104 degree heat.   Talk about hot, sweaty, wet, and tired.   But we did it!   So much to absorb. I am also glad I had several pairs of walking shoes to switch into and out of from day to day.

Acre/Akko.   We caught a taxi after we got through immigration and went to Akko.  Went directly to the tourist office and bought a ticket to see crusader archaeological sites.   We were able to complete in two hours and return to ship via taxi.  (Albeit not inexpensive taxi cost).  

Cypress.   We booked a private tour.  Once again, up early to do breakfast and catch the tour.  Pace was a bit better with several stops to include a winery and small village in mountains.   However, the turmoil getting back through immigration/passport control back to the ship was like a herd of soccer hooligans let out after a game.  The ship could not control the mass confusion…Cypress process could not handle the hoards of people pushing and shoving, shouting, and fussing.   No lines….totally crowded butt to nose people all wanting to go through security.  It was a mess.   

Ephesus.   Yep…up early for a full day.   Took private tour which we were grateful for the small group.   Even though we have been there before, it’s been about ten years.  Tour guide had a most interesting day planned…in one entrance of Ephesus and departed through a different entrance so we saw things we had never seen before to include the terrace houses. 

Bodrum.   This resort type town we did on our own….walking from ship to castle,    Beach front followed where the ship was docked and encompassed the edge of the bay.  Beach front was only 10-15 feet deep, rocky, beach chairs were available but areas were full.   Restaurants and shops were on other side of the beach path/road.  I really have no idea why we were there…original port was Rhodes.

Santorini.    Of all the ports, this was the one I was looking forward to revisiting.  And it was the most disappointment of the cruise.   Six ships in port.  That’s a huge amount of people to wander through streets only capable to have two people side by side stroll.  Line for cable car to go back down took us 1 1/2 hrs.   We booked the Oia Tour on Your Own which got us off the ship without a tender ticket, transport to a bus, ride to Oia, bus back to Fira and cable car ticket back down to ship.    Was worth it to us.  

Crete.    We passed on to recuperate for two days to be able to do four days I. Rome after the cruise.   We enjoyed the balcony, being out of the sun, taking advantage of a nap, and actually staying up for one of the shows.    

If we had to do over again…..we would go later in the fall (good for y’all who are going in

October) and we would consider delving into an overnight in Jerusalem city to perhaps ease the one day hiking.    However, it was an absolute adventurous itinerary.  We worked hard to plan and get it all in.     I will go to the ports section of CC to leave port and tour info on private tours we used.   

Hi, We are doing the Jerusalem/Bethlehem tour with Guided Israel Tours which is a 10 hour tour. My question is regarding bathroom facilities at the various tourists sights and stop. Were there plenty available and easily accessible?  Does one have to pay anything to use the facilities?  Many Thanks.

We had no problem with toilet stops.  Our guide did know where to “go”.  However, I did carry a potty stop pouch which included two seat covers per day, a wad of toilet paper neatly folded, a couple wet ones, and a travel pack of cottonele wipes.  Even though restrooms we stopped at were “clean”, I was glad to have a mini supply of various products (and used them).  I replenished every night for the next day.   

• Like 2

On 9/20/2022 at 1:14 PM, erby2283 said:

So if I enjoy hot weather, you don't think September would be too cool for me to do a Turkey/Greece trip? I keep checking the temps now and it's like high 70's low 80's during the days depending on the county (Haifa, Santorini, Crete). 

When we were in Israel and Santorini in early September, temps were 90-104 degree F. If you want hot weather, July and August would be optimum.   

On 9/16/2022 at 5:54 PM, CRUIS4ME said:

Tickets are not needed for Israel ports once the passport has been processed.  Instead of a passport stamp, a paper validation ticket from the Israeli customs folks is given with your passport.   That paper stamp ticket is how one enters into the other ports. One can scan the ticket and come and go.   No paper ticket from passports….no getting in.   

If I understand correctly, this is on the 1st Israel port.  Once you have the validation ticket attached to your passport, you're find for that port and for the 2nd Israel port.

On the 1st port, how long did it take until you were out and able to leave?  I am planning on using an independent tour guide.

We were in Haifa at noon…ship cleared and started calling numbers about 1:00/1:30.  They called in group of three…1-3, 4-6…etc.   with number 36, we got called about 3/3:30.  We exited the ship and stood in line, which formed outside the terminal.  It then took about 45 minutes to get to the passport processing desk and get through.

Hi the info here has been very informative. I've been trying to fill out the Israeli Entry Form but ran into 2 problems. 1 the "cruise number" which I now see from photos of the RCCL info booklet which was posted is the Cabin number. I called RCCL twice and they had no idea. The other concern is when trying to input the departure date the form only allows you to choose from 3 dates (10/2,3,or4) can't input Oct 7 probably until the 5th. Is there a work around or If I put Oct 4 as departure and 10/10 as arrival would it be acceptable. 

Thanks 

3 hours ago, Nonnigberg said:

You can only complete the entry form 10 days prior, so 10/13/2022 will be when you can complete the form (13/10/2022 on their site). 

By October 13th, we will have been and gone. We arrive in Haifa on October 10th. The cruise leaves on Friday.

Corinna

48 minutes ago, dolphingirl47 said:

By October 13th, we will have been and gone. We arrive in Haifa on October 10th. The cruise leaves on Friday.

Corinna

Sorry, I was making a reference to the October 19 cruise which docks in Ashdod on 10/23.  You should be able to go online now for your 10.10.2022 arrival in Haifa.

• Like 1

Regarding MTD.   In my opinion, main dining room was fine to good.   I definitely booked dining times ahead.  I would look at the port, where we were, and what time all aboard was.   I then set dinner according to what we were doing at each port.   I allowed about an hour to get showered, etc if sail time was about 6 ….so dinner would be about 7.

hope that helps.

Israeli entry form.  Form is available ten days before entry into Israel.   The reservation/booking number of your cruise is the number to use for their form.   Once you get the paper ticket form from passport entry, that covers both ports in Israel.   

Edited by CRUIS4ME

Looks like we will NOT have to complete an Israel Entry Form after all!  From their site:

Entry to Israel

Latest Updates

• As of Sunday, October 9, 2022, it is no longer required to fill out the Israel Entry Form
  • Anyone (of any age) who feels sick within 10 days after arriving in Israel are requested to take a PCR test. PCR tests, as opposed to antigen tests, can detect newly imported variants to Israel.
    The test is also available in Ben Gurion Airport, free of charge, between 8:00 a.m. and 10:00 p.m. in the reception hall following luggage collection and customs clearing (Complex G, counters 20-21).
    Who can take the test?
    Those who present one of the following documents: Flight ticket, cruise ticket or confirmation of Departing Passage Fee payment for crossing a land border within the past 20 days.

On 9/12/2022 at 1:55 PM, karebare22 said:

Process was very fast. We left the ship around 8:20, found our luggage easily, no customs inspection, and just walked out. Found our driver to take us to the airport around 8:30. We had to wait for a couple more people sharing the ride, and arrived at the airport around 9:45am.

Hi, What is the cost for sharing the ride to airport and what company were you using? Thanks