Are the ports (Norse Legends) within walking distance?

sofienummer

Hello everyone 🙂 

I just booked a last minute cruise to Norway (leaving on the 25th of September!).

The four ports we will visit are: Eidfjord, Alesund, Geiranger and Bergen.

Since I booked this last minute, there are very limited choices of excursions to book. And I personally prefer to just walk around to see a place and more so to walk and view nature! 

Does someone know how easy it is per port to just walk around? How close are the ports from the 'cities'/places?

Thank you in advance 🙂 And if someone has any recommendation for a great tour excursion or something to do at those destinations, I'm very interested to know because I've never been to Norway!  

Bergen and Alesund are right where you dock. Just get off and walk around. Bergen has a furnicular (spelling) that you can ride up to the top of the mountain overlooking the city. However if it's a rainy day, you may not see anything below due to fog. But there is a nice visitor center up to where you can eat or drink, so not a total waste. We didn't go to Eidfjord or Geiranger, so I can't help you with those. Lovely cities with friendly people! Just do some research ahead of time and do your own walking tour.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nansi said:

Bergen and Alesund are right where you dock. Just get off and walk around. Bergen has a furnicular (spelling) that you can ride up to the top of the mountain overlooking the city. However if it's a rainy day, you may not see anything below due to fog. But there is a nice visitor center up to where you can eat or drink, so not a total waste. We didn't go to Eidfjord or Geiranger, so I can't help you with those. Lovely cities with friendly people! Just do some research ahead of time and do your own walking tour.

Thank you for your tips, great to here they dock right there! I love the idea of overlooking the city from the top of the mountain. And yes, I'm doing research right now and probably will decide on the day itself depending on the weather🙂

1 hour ago, hallasm said:

Might also be late for many activities.
Ålesund and Bergen easy walkable and many sights
Geiranger has a Ho Ho bus to the view points. 
Eidfjord  is a very tiny city. Try also Norway Excursions

You mean late as in booked late or because it's near the end of the 'tourist season'? 

Thank you for your information and tips 🙂 

I will definitely try Norway Excursions, thank you!

2 hours ago, sofienummer said:

Hello everyone 🙂 

I just booked a last minute cruise to Norway (leaving on the 25th of September!).

The four ports we will visit are: Eidfjord, Alesund, Geiranger and Bergen.

Since I booked this last minute, there are very limited choices of excursions to book. And I personally prefer to just walk around to see a place and more so to walk and view nature! 

Does someone know how easy it is per port to just walk around? How close are the ports from the 'cities'/places?

Thank you in advance 🙂 And if someone has any recommendation for a great tour excursion or something to do at those destinations, I'm very interested to know because I've never been to Norway!  

Seeing the date and ports, it must be the ms Rotterdam of HAL. We did that twice.

EIdfjord: walking (almost crawling) distance. If no excursion can be booked maybe you are interested in the troll train tour of an hour (nothing amiss with a troll train for adults). tickets at the tourist office next to the ship.  They also have brochures with different routes to walk through the little "town"  and surroundings.

Alesund walking distance, because you walk right into the center. If no excursion: HoHo bus or troll train or just walk in this very nice town

Geiranger book a local tour to at least Dalsnibba (or HoHo as Halasm suggests) and enjoy the views. 

Bergen  The Rotterdam will most probably dock at Jekteviken, 15-20 minutes walk to the center-fishmarket. If the weather is good: Floibanen (station 5 minutes from the fishmarket) trip for a nice trip and view over the city, walk, look and maybe eat something at the fishmarket and absolutely visit Bryggen and please do not forget to enter the alleys behind the quayside shops at Bryggen. (bring a raincoat....). If you would like to hve a Norwegian sweater: much choice in Bergen and do not forget the Global Blue taxfree and collect the tax on board the ship or via Guest Service (they will take care of it if everything properly filled out and in time handen to them in an enveloppe....).   Enjoy your cruise in the most beatifull fjords of Norway and nice ports.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MAVIP said:

Seeing the date and ports, it must be the ms Rotterdam of HAL. We did that twice.

EIdfjord: walking (almost crawling) distance. If no excursion can be booked maybe you are interested in the troll train tour of an hour (nothing amiss with a troll train for adults). tickets at the tourist office next to the ship.  They also have brochures with different routes to walk through the little "town"  and surroundings.

Alesund walking distance, because you walk right into the center. If no excursion: HoHo bus or troll train or just walk in this very nice town

Geiranger book a local tour to at least Dalsnibba (or HoHo as Halasm suggests) and enjoy the views. 

Bergen  The Rotterdam will most probably dock at Jekteviken, 15-20 minutes walk to the center-fishmarket. If the weather is good: Floibanen (station 5 minutes from the fishmarket) trip for a nice trip and view over the city, walk, look and maybe eat something at the fishmarket and absolutely visit Bryggen and please do not forget to enter the alleys behind the quayside shops at Bryggen. (bring a raincoat....). If you would like to hve a Norwegian sweater: much choice in Bergen and do not forget the Global Blue taxfree and collect the tax on board the ship or via Guest Service (they will take care of it if everything properly filled out and in time handen to them in an enveloppe....).   Enjoy your cruise in the most beatifull fjords of Norway and nice ports.

Ah yes, I forgot to mention that, but thank you so much for your lovely and informative response!

I am thinking of booking this tour in Geiranger: https://www.geirangerfjord.no/panorama-exclusive-bus

The tour start at 9:00 (or 13:00 but I don't like to risk not being back on time for departure), but this port is a tender port, right?

The HAL will prioritize guests who booked an excursion through the cruise line, so is there a realistic chance of me not being able to make this tour? 

1 hour ago, sofienummer said:

Ah yes, I forgot to mention that, but thank you so much for your lovely and informative response!

I am thinking of booking this tour in Geiranger: https://www.geirangerfjord.no/panorama-exclusive-bus

The tour start at 9:00 (or 13:00 but I don't like to risk not being back on time for departure), but this port is a tender port, right?

The HAL will prioritize guests who booked an excursion through the cruise line, so is there a realistic chance of me not being able to make this tour? 

My experience in Geiranger: 1st: HAL tour to both sides of Geiranger, 2nd time: Geirangerfjord.no tour to both sides in small bus (12? seats), but they do not use that anymore, This year in May: the Panorama- exclusive bus. Good trustworthy company situated very close to the pier. and: the port is not a tender port for the 1st cruise ship of the day that pays for the Seawalk. The Seawalk is a perfect way to walk ashore from the ship to the pier. This is the situation that day for m.s. Rotterdam:

M/S ROTTERDAM 29.09.2022 07:00 29.09.2022 17:00 Pos. 4B/SW      

and SW stands for Sea Walk.  So, you will walk from the ship via the SeaWalk to the pier and drive from the pier to the SkyWalk with the Panoramic-exclusive bus.   😉IMG_0405.thumb.JPG.3a7d496aec177d1779fcde9ae38b5db4.JPG

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MAVIP said:

the port is not a tender port for the 1st cruise ship of the day that pays for the Seawalk.

Thanks for this information!  We'll be in Geiranger next July (also on the HAL Rotterdam).  We are scheduled to arrive at 7am; the Cunard Queen Victoria will be there as well, arriving "in the morning" according to cruisetimetables.com.  Our booking invoice shows this as a tender port, but perhaps we we will luck out with the Seawalk.  (I will keep checking the official Geiranger port site as we get closer; right now, it does not go out into 2023.) 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, MAVIP said:

My experience in Geiranger: 1st: HAL tour to both sides of Geiranger, 2nd time: Geirangerfjord.no tour to both sides in small bus (12? seats), but they do not use that anymore, This year in May: the Panorama- exclusive bus. Good trustworthy company situated very close to the pier. and: the port is not a tender port for the 1st cruise ship of the day that pays for the Seawalk. The Seawalk is a perfect way to walk ashore from the ship to the pier. This is the situation that day for m.s. Rotterdam:

M/S ROTTERDAM 29.09.2022 07:00 29.09.2022 17:00 Pos. 4B/SW      

and SW stands for Sea Walk.  So, you will walk from the ship via the SeaWalk to the pier and drive from the pier to the SkyWalk with the Panoramic-exclusive bus.   😉IMG_0405.thumb.JPG.3a7d496aec177d1779fcde9ae38b5db4.JPG

Ah thank you so much!! That makes it much easier 😉 

I just booked my tour to Mount Dalsnibba & Eagle Road! Can't wait 🙂 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, sofienummer said:

Ah thank you so much!! That makes it much easier 😉 

I just booked my tour to Mount Dalsnibba & Eagle Road! Can't wait 🙂 

Do you see on the photo in the middle the white hotel (Hotel from the movie "The Wave")? If you like chocolates etc you could enjoy a nice hot chocolate and buy delicious homemade "bonbons" in a little shop/café. Just walk from the pier to the exit between the 2 grey buildings and walk into a small street in the direction of that hotel. The chocolaterie is at your right hand site. 😋 

• Like 1