Apple Watch

Marlene43

Yes it will.  Although, when I was on the Allure in May sometimes when I was walking on the jogging deck my watch would record me walking further in a short amount of time.  For a rough example, say I circled the ship deck once at it would say I walked a mile.  Not all the times, though.  I wondered if it had anything to do with the forward movement of the ship while I was walking.  The rest of the features worked fine.  Just as an afterthought, I did also have the internet plan.

22 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

If it is mirroring your iPhone and connected to the ship’s wi-fi yes the health app will work.

There will be limitations without an internet connection and a phone nearby but it will do workouts and activity without an internet connection. It uses the accelerameter for those. It will measure heart rate. If the phone has an internet connection and it is nearby it will do everything except international roaming. International roaming is coming though. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Marlene43 said:

will my Apple Watch health app work on the ship

Yes, but you will need to make sure it's connected to your iPhone via Bluetooth.  You definitely don't want to try connecting to via Cellular at Sea.  Besides being crazy expensive, I don't think watches are able to "roam" cellular network anyhow.  You probably won't be able to connect it to the ship's wifi since you have to use a web page to login, and the watch would not support that.

2 hours ago, NeepierRoad said:

Yes it will.  Although, when I was on the Allure in May sometimes when I was walking on the jogging deck my watch would record me walking further in a short amount of time.  For a rough example, say I circled the ship deck once at it would say I walked a mile.  Not all the times, though.  I wondered if it had anything to do with the forward movement of the ship while I was walking.  The rest of the features worked fine.  Just as an afterthought, I did also have the internet plan.

Seems like not too long ago, someone reported that their fitness app showing them walking some crazy distance on the treadmill, and they figured out it was counting the forward motion of the ship via GPS.  

2 hours ago, rudeney said:

Yes, but you will need to make sure it's connected to your iPhone via Bluetooth.  You definitely don't want to try connecting to via Cellular at Sea.  Besides being crazy expensive, I don't think watches are able to "roam" cellular network anyhow.  You probably won't be able to connect it to the ship's wifi since you have to use a web page to login, and the watch would not support that.

The watch does not have to be synced to the phone over Bluetooth for the fitness and workouts to work. You can also download muscic and podcasts and listen unconnected to the phone. Apple Pay works without bluetooth or internet. The watch can't connect to Cellular at Sea. They are adding International Roaming but I suspect that will be through your phone. Or maybe only on the new Series 8 watches shipping  this Friday. I just installed Watch OS9 and they did not add it to my current watch Series 5. 

Edited by Charles4515
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, NeepierRoad said:

It’s the gps in the phone or watch and ships movement. 

7 hours ago, NeepierRoad said:

I second this. Depending on the movement of the ship, the GPS didn’t quite know what to do when I recorded a walk. One time it said I walked way farther than I knew from the measurements on the track and another it recorded way less.  But other than that, it connected with my phone without any issues. (My watch is WiFi only)