Two cruise lines pull Bermuda stops over covid testing rules

Charles4515

The cancellations:

• The Celebrity Beyond, scheduled for October 22;

• The Celebrity Silhouette, for October 30-31;

• The Celebrity Edge, for November 4;

• Norwegian Cruise Line Sun, for November 5;

• The Celebrity Reflection, for November 10.

https://www.royalgazette.com/tourism/news/article/20220913/two-cruise-lines-pull-bermuda-stops-over-covid-testing-rules/

Edited by Charles4515
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Charles4515 said:
The cancellations:

• The Celebrity Beyond, scheduled for October 22;

• The Celebrity Silhouette, for October 30-31;

• The Celebrity Edge, for November 4;

• Norwegian Cruise Line Sun, for November 5;

• The Celebrity Reflection, for November 10.

https://www.royalgazette.com/tourism/news/article/20220913/two-cruise-lines-pull-bermuda-stops-over-covid-testing-rules/

good for them.  

• Like 2

As I’ve said elsewhere, it made no sense for the transatlantics to keep their port calls to Bermuda. Guests would have had to test prior to boarding, perhaps two weeks before arriving in Bermuda, and then the cruise lines would have had to test everyone on board within two days of the Bermuda stop. No way the cruise lines wanted to do that and maybe discover lots of Covid-positive people on board and have to deal with that so close to the end of the cruise. 

It’s interesting reading the comments on the Royal Gazette article. Thanks @Charles4515 for sharing it with us. 

• Like 1

Two more cruise stops cancelled. 

"The two one-day stops understood to have been struck off are the Norwegian Escape, scheduled to call on Dockyard on November 15, and the Gem, also booked for King’s Wharf on December 20."

https://www.royalgazette.com/tourism/news/article/20220915/more-cruise-ship-cancellations-as-businesses-slam-ta-form-requirements/

Good !! I was booked on an NCL calling at Bermuda for 6.5 hours in Dec. Its still showing on the itinerary, so I changed my cruise to a Canary Islands 11 nighter instead and can look forward to my cruise rather than fretting about tests etc and cruise being abandoned and making contingency plans. 

• Like 6

55 minutes ago, DensolandMouthy said:

Good !! I was booked on an NCL calling at Bermuda for 6.5 hours in Dec. Its still showing on the itinerary, so I changed my cruise to a Canary Islands 11 nighter instead and can look forward to my cruise rather than fretting about tests etc and cruise being abandoned and making contingency plans. 

Wish I could do the same, but our 30 September cruise to Bermuda is the only destination. Unbelievable stress over testing, TA, (had to do it in May), and then my next on the B2B includes Canada. So I have to do more testing on the ship - really a buzzkill.

• Like 3

On 9/15/2022 at 9:16 AM, Charles4515 said:

Two more cruise stops cancelled. 

"The two one-day stops understood to have been struck off are the Norwegian Escape, scheduled to call on Dockyard on November 15, and the Gem, also booked for King’s Wharf on December 20."

https://www.royalgazette.com/tourism/news/article/20220915/more-cruise-ship-cancellations-as-businesses-slam-ta-form-requirements/

The Escape has more than 5,000 passengers.  That's a lot of tourism $$ Bermuda won't see.

• Like 3

On 9/19/2022 at 3:49 PM, moposh said:

“It’s a challenging decision from every angle and the Government has stated that the Travel Authorisation will remain in place until March 2023.”

Government defends cruise ship Covid policy in wake of cancellations - The Royal Gazette | Bermuda News, Business, Sports, Events, & Community |

Any idea what date in March 2023?