Fiona - Atlantic - Sep 15

PelicanBill

26 minutes ago, wolft927 said:

Has anyone gotten any news regarding Itinerary changes due to Hurricane Fiona? Can't believe that the Cruise Lines have not made decisions for the ships that left yesterday or leaving today?

Haven't heard a thing!  We have friends that are on the Getaway right now (in Bermuda today and tomorrow) and they said they had some large swells yesterday coming up to Bermuda from the Bahamas.  They have not heard anything about leaving early tomorrow to head back to NYC either.

Cruise lines often do not announce itinerary changes publicly. If the start or end is not affected, they only announce on board.  I have been in that situation 3 times!

Ad you may know, Puerto Rico is hard hit with power and water systems out all over.  Hurricane warnings are up for Dominican Republic and Turks and Caicos.. no ships there until at least Thursday. But Bahamas are faring better, however seas will be rough there and in the Atlantic up and down the coast. 

forecast to reach category 3 and worried for Bermuda as well. The stronger right side could hit and the forecast path is very close. Thursday night and Friday morning.

Edited by PelicanBill
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, PelicanBill said:

Cruise lines often do not announce itinerary changes publicly. If the start or end is not affected, they only announce on board.  I have been in that situation 3 times!

Ad you may know, Puerto Rico is hard hit with power and water systems out all over.  Hurricane warnings are up for Dominican Republic and Turks and Caicos.. no ships there until at least Thursday. But Bahamas are faring better, however seas will be rough there and in the Atlantic up and down the coast. 

forecast to reach category 3 and worried for Bermuda as well. The stronger right side could hit and the forecast path is very close. Thursday night and Friday morning.

We are leaving from Port Canaveral on September 29th, ports of call include Great Stirup Cay, St Thomas, St John, San Juan, Saint Maarteen, and Dominican Republic. Not at all worried if we miss or reroute, just hoping the islands make it through ok

• Like 3

Looking at live WebCams from Puerto Plata in the Dominican Republic, looks like not much major damage they where very lucky. Puerto Rico on the other hand looks like they got hit hard. I am assuming Puerto Rico will not be a port of call for at least a week or two at the minimum. We are scheduled Wednesday October 5th.....maybe we make it maybe we dont...either way pray for everyone affected by the storms

• Like 3

Looks like another Storm coming through late this week into next, Heading towards the Western Caribbean. Looks like it will go right over Jamaica. I am sailing out Next Thursday to the Eastern, doesn't really matter where we go, just sunshine and drinks is all i request. lol

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, wolft927 said:

Looks like another Storm coming through late this week into next, Heading towards the Western Caribbean. Looks like it will go right over Jamaica. I am sailing out Next Thursday to the Eastern, doesn't really matter where we go, just sunshine and drinks is all i request. lol

You are right. Still early to say how strong or if the Gulf will be affected. But watching carefully.

18 hours ago, madeph said:

Alright, all of this talk is making me nervous for my cruise on Sunday. It’s on the smallest ship of the NCL AND it’ll probably hit the scheduled ports! 😭

hoping itll move past Cozumel and Harvest Caye without a scratch!

You will probably make it south of the storm before it gets there. But it is heading toward the Gulf more than the western ports so far.

But this is NOT about Fiona it is about the other storm. Just to be clear! This is the Fiona Thread

• Like 1

For all the hype about Fiona and Bermuda, the path will most likely bring only Tropical Storm strength wind to Bermuda. Maybe Cat 1 winds. It should not be devastating, and cruises will have to avoid Bermuda the next few days but should return quickly!

I am more concerned about how the Turks & Caicos fared from this storm.

• Like 1

Tried to find reports or pictures from the Turks & Caicos but all coverage seems to be about Puerto Rico.  The only thing I can see for T&C:  165 in shelters, 2 died in shelters possibly natural causes, power out all over, Telecom services all down.

I suspect it will be weeks of recovery if not months.  Likely that cruises cannot call for a while. Mine is scheduled for November 10.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, PelicanBill said:

Tried to find reports or pictures from the Turks & Caicos but all coverage seems to be about Puerto Rico.  The only thing I can see for T&C:  165 in shelters, 2 died in shelters possibly natural causes, power out all over, Telecom services all down.

I suspect it will be weeks of recovery if not months.  Likely that cruises cannot call for a while. Mine is scheduled for November 10.

I am sailing to Puerto Rico on my 9 night September 29th cruise...Wondering if it will be cancelled and switched to another port. We  all on September 5th so pretty sure the island will not be ready..Praying for everyone involved. 

5 hours ago, wolft927 said:

I am sailing to Puerto Rico on my 9 night September 29th cruise...Wondering if it will be cancelled and switched to another port. We  all on September 5th so pretty sure the island will not be ready..Praying for everyone involved. 

Also still looking for reports on San Juan. Infrastructure is better there and often repaired sooner. The storm's main winds were to the south and west end of the island.  Hoping they are operating by next week but certainly a concern.

I'm a Canadian watching the National News. Lots of destruction over 4 provinces. They say 95% of Prince Edward Island is without power. At least 300,000 homes in Nova Scotia without power. Century old trees uprooted. Homes swept out to sea because of the storm surges. One woman in one of those homes still not found. 😔

Edited by Dreamer68
Grammar

Bad news for people with Grand Turk in their upcoming itineraries… heard the pier was cut in half.  My cruise in November likely to change!

edit: i saw the footage. People are mis-interpreting what they see. The pier is intact. But the buildings ashore: looks 50% destroyed. l would guess 6 months minimum until they are ready for cruises.

Edited by PelicanBill
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/24/2022 at 10:22 PM, Dreamer68 said:

I'm a Canadian watching the National News. Lots of destruction over 4 provinces. They say 95% of Prince Edward Island is without power. At least 300,000 homes in Nova Scotia without power. Century old trees uprooted. Homes swept out to sea because of the storm surges. One woman in one of those homes still not found. 😔

Very sorry to hear of this.  Wishing you and your country well and a fast recovery.  I pray that no more life will be lost.

Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.