Planning for Cancellation (by the cruise line) or how close to sailing date can cruises be cancelled (by the cruise line)?

KasperGutman

Hi folks,

I am contemplating taking my first cruise (second booking, first one was cancelled) and am trying to figure what to do about the very real possibility the cruise won't happen. A couple of options occur to me:

1. Book refundable plane tickets - could be pricey.

2. Develop an a plan B. I could probably make this work (the cruise I am looking at sails from Athens, but actually spends very little time in Greece, so it would be easy to create an alternate itinerary. Of course, the closer I get to cruise date, the harder this becomes.

How are the cruises going of late, are a lot still getting cancelled?

For what it is worth, the cruise I looking at is with NCL and leaves Athens March 3rd, 2023.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Glen

That looks like an interesting itinerary.  If you include Athens, you have three Greek ports.  Hard to say what the travel climate will be 5-6 months from now.  The latest cruise cancellations were due to the cruise lines being unable to acquire enough staff to operate the ships.  The best thing you could do would be to hedge your bets:

fly in 2-3 days early, tour Athens and surrounding area.  You would have a buffer if flights were delayed, etc.

Prepare your expectations, in case some ports are rearranged or cancelled.  Ports in Israel have often been cancelled due to unrest in the area.

My best advice for your first cruise would be to find one you don’t have to fly to.  Now, I realize that isn’t realistic from Vancouver in March, so maybe one with a shorter flight.  
If you are determined to do that area, develop a plan for independent travel in the area.

Cruises are not usually cancelled at the last minute.  Covid has been a big speed bump.

EM

5 hours ago, KasperGutman said:

Hi folks,

I am contemplating taking my first cruise (second booking, first one was cancelled) and am trying to figure what to do about the very real possibility the cruise won't happen. A couple of options occur to me:

1. Book refundable plane tickets - could be pricey.

2. Develop an a plan B. I could probably make this work (the cruise I am looking at sails from Athens, but actually spends very little time in Greece, so it would be easy to create an alternate itinerary. Of course, the closer I get to cruise date, the harder this becomes.

How are the cruises going of late, are a lot still getting cancelled?

For what it is worth, the cruise I looking at is with NCL and leaves Athens March 3rd, 2023.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Glen

As far as the flights go: Check ITA Matrix website for the widest variety of air routes (no tix sold). If United has reasonable routings (with any necessary connections provided by its Star Alliance partners), call United and verify that, if you need to cancel a flight with non-refundable tickets (far less expensive), you will be issued an FFC (Future Flight Credit) or ETC (Electronic Travel Certificate). Of course, there are restrictions like “use within a year.” But, if you’re going to replace your cancelled cruise within the time limits, you’re good to go.

BTW Kasper: I doubt that you’ll find “the bird” in Greece. Last time I checked, my reliable sources suggest that it rests in a hidden corner of  the Church of San Nicolò in Savoca, Sicily.👀 🤔😉🍕👍

7B1D2428-622C-48EC-83D8-FBD72E434782.jpeg

Edited by Flatbush Flyer
  • Haha 1

Thanks for the feedback folks. I decided to book it and if things fall through, I will have an alternate plan in place for the time (Greek mainland and maybe a few days in Dubrovnik is my current thinking).

Flatbush, I have been chasing that bird for 80 years, one day it will be mine. 🙂

Glen

• Haha 1

The cost of air tickets and cruise fares seem to go in opposite directions as time progresses.  Cruise lines tend to reduce their fares late as the likelihood of selling off the remaining cabins looks more and more dubious.  Whereas airlines tend to hike up the air fares late on as the last few remaining seats become sought after.  My plan would be book air fare early on a refundable basis, although seemingly more expensive this is not the  case if you need a refund due to not sailing.   Also book cheap pre-cruise hotel refundable close to port. Then late on, 60 or so days from sail date book a cabin.  You need to monitor what's available and prices/deals as you get closer to sail date and then take a decision.

A cruise line can cancel a cruise as late as the day before sailing due to complete mechanical failure etc.  If they cancel because of Covid-19 they often refund 100% cash or 125% on a replacement cruise of your choice.  Losses on air fare and hotels I suspect are your risk and you could possibly claim on insurance and if you book refundable apply for a refund.

Regards John

• Haha 2