FCC or refund for covid while onboard?

don731

We recently completed a cruise on the Riviera, disembarking in Malta.  We caught covid two days before the end of the cruise, and had to isolate onboard, then another week in Malta.  My understanding is that Oceania will provide us with a future cruise credit, or perhaps a refund, for the two days we were quarantined onboard.  How do we go about making a claim for this?  Should we pass the task off to our TA?  Do we need to call Oceania?  I don't see any guidance on the website.  Thanks!

1 hour ago, don731 said:

We recently completed a cruise on the Riviera, disembarking in Malta.  We caught covid two days before the end of the cruise, and had to isolate onboard, then another week in Malta.  My understanding is that Oceania will provide us with a future cruise credit, or perhaps a refund, for the two days we were quarantined onboard.  How do we go about making a claim for this?  Should we pass the task off to our TA?  Do we need to call Oceania?  I don't see any guidance on the website.  Thanks!

Thought there was no longer any reimbursement after September 3

• Like 1

My husband and I contracted COVID while sailing on the Nautica in April/May this year.  We were isolated on board for 6 days.  When we returned home my travel agent contacted Oceania Guest Services and asked for a refund for the days we were quarantined on board.  Within two weeks we had the full amount for each day we were quarantined credited back to our credit card.

They did ask for proof of negative tests prior to boarding and also positive tests while on board.

Hope this helps.

Terri

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, khuselid said:

Pretty sure this isn't a thing anymore since testing is not required before boarding. My husband missed 6 days of the cruise we just returned from last night. Great care while onboard but no reimbursement.

kh

maybe  ask anyway  you never know 😉

Will your insurance  refund you for the time spent in quarantine?

9 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

maybe  ask anyway  you never know 😉

Will your insurance  refund you for the time spent in quarantine?

Don't know. Haven't started the claim process yet. Going to get reimbursed for the Paxlovid, which was 800 on the ship! Although there were no other medical charges even though he had 2 visits a day and a variety of other meds. He was very well care for by medical and the rest of the crew and so was I!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, khuselid said:

Don't know. Haven't started the claim process yet. Going to get reimbursed for the Paxlovid, which was 800 on the ship! Although there were no other medical charges even though he had 2 visits a day and a variety of other meds. He was very well care for by medical and the rest of the crew and so was I!

What ship were you on

9 hours ago, khuselid said:

Pretty sure this isn't a thing anymore since testing is not required before boarding. My husband missed 6 days of the cruise we just returned from last night. Great care while onboard but no reimbursement.

kh

You are not automatically going to get the reimbursement.  You have to ask for it. It is still in effect.  If you go to the Oceania website and under the FAQ look under Onboard and then Health Considerations. The first question deals with getting Covid on board the ship and that you will get a pro rated reimbursement for the days you were quarantined on the ship.  

Here is the quote:

Terri

IF I TEST POSITIVE FOR COVID-19 DURING A CRUISE AND HAVE TO QUARANTINE, WILL I RECEIVE A FULL REFUND? 

Updated July 25, 2022

Guests who test positive for COVID-19 during their cruise and are required to quarantine will receive a pro-rated cash refund or a pro-rated Future
Cruise Credit. If a guest followed all of the cruise line’s health and safety protocols, the Cruise Line will coordinate necessary onboard COVID-19
related medical treatment, required land-based quarantine and travel arrangements to get the guest safely back to their home. Complimentary onboard
medical consultations and treatments are provided for COVID-19 related illnesses as well as dedicated isolation accommodations should the need arise.
The cruise line will cover all costs incurred for shoreside treatment, quarantine, and transportation that are not covered by the guests’ travel insurance or
should a claim be denied. We will also cover the same costs, that are not covered by the guests’ travel insurance or should a claim be denied, for identified
close contacts if they are required to quarantine on board or are removed or denied re-boarding due to being in close contact to a guest who tests positive.
All refund requests must be made within 90 days of the date they canceled their voyage or the scheduled embarkation date, whichever is earlier, or they
will be entitled to a Future Cruise Credit for the amount specified. To apply for a refund guests should contact Guest Relations.

Terri

I think  the new update  has changed some of the terms for funds/FCC

Sept 3 2022

https://www.oceaniacruises.com/sites/default/files/2022-08/Sail-Safe-new-program.pdf

If I test positive for COVID-19 during a cruise and have to quarantine, will I receive a credit or refund?
Guests should travel with adequate insurance coverage for costs incurred for COVID-19 relates illness and treatment.

10 hours ago, LHT28 said:

Terri

I think  the new update  has changed some of the terms for funds/FCC

Sept 3 2022

https://www.oceaniacruises.com/sites/default/files/2022-08/Sail-Safe-new-program.pdf

If I test positive for COVID-19 during a cruise and have to quarantine, will I receive a credit or refund?
Guests should travel with adequate insurance coverage for costs incurred for COVID-19 relates illness and treatment.

If there is an update, then they had better update this section as well,.  I copied this last night from the O website, so it is there. The section you quote does not in any way say that they will not reimburse for the days you are quarantined.

i would still try for the refund or FCC.  Let them say no.  The insurance will not pay because they will say that you were allowed to stay on board and had a place to sleep and had your meals.  They will only reimburse for private tours not reimbursed.

Terri

Edited by Cruzin Terri

1 hour ago, Cruzin Terri said:

If there is an update, then they had better update this section as well,.  I copied this last night from the O website, so it is there. The section you quote does not in any way say that they will not reimburse for the days you are quarantined.

i would still try for the refund or FCC.  Let them say no.  The insurance will not pay because they will say that you were allowed to stay on board and had a place to sleep and had your meals.  They will only reimburse for private tours not reimbursed.

Terri

Yes  if I was quarantined I would still ask for the FCC/Refund   as you say  they can say no

The website is not known for keeping things updated  & in different sections  it can have different policies

no wonder people get confused 😁

My DW and I both contracted Covid on the Insignia in August.  We were isolated for six days each before being freed from covid jail after testing negative two days in a row.  Treated well, no complaints.  We have had worst head colds. Fortunately, we had a veranda.  Anyway, both of us received FCC for our stay in quarantine before we even left the ship on Sept. 10.  We had our TA apply the FCC to a future Oceania cruise that we booked onboard earlier.  I think if you had a negative covid PCR test prior to boarding then your claim for FCC will be easier to make.  That is, you did not bring covid with you but contracted it from someone else onboard.  We tested negative, as did everyone else who boarded in New York.  Our theory is that someone who boarded in Reykjavik, where testing was not required, brought the virus onboard.  Just a theory.

I hope you get, and you should get, at least FCC for your stay in covid jail.

Bill

39 minutes ago, ssawjo said:

Our theory is that someone who boarded in Reykjavik, where testing was not required, brought the virus onboard.  Just a theory.

Did you stop in any port  prior to Reykjavik?

5 hours ago, LHT28 said:

Did you stop in any port  prior to Reykjavik?

Yes, Boston, Bar Harbor, Halifax, St. Johns, Newfoundland, and Qaqortoq in Greenland (the others were fogged in).   There was an NCL ship in Bar Harbor also.

Ok folks do make sure you contact customer relations for the FCC if you were quarantined. I wasn't hopeful but contacted them and they did give us a hefty FCC for my husbands recent 5 day quarantine.

Surely didn't hurt to ask. Make sure you give them your booking number.

kh

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, khuselid said:

Ok folks do make sure you contact customer relations for the FCC if you were quarantined. I wasn't hopeful but contacted them and they did give us a hefty FCC for my husbands recent 5 day quarantine.

Surely didn't hurt to ask. Make sure you give them your booking number.

kh

Did you have a negative test for Covid shortly (72/24 hours) before you boarded?  If so, which type?

34 minutes ago, ShopperfiendTO said:

Did you have a negative test for Covid shortly (72/24 hours) before you boarded?  If so, which type?

No we didn't test before the cruise as it wasn't required. He got sick 26 days into the cruise though. I don't know what their criteria are.

Edited by khuselid
forgot a thought

3 hours ago, khuselid said:

No we didn't test before the cruise as it wasn't required. He got sick 26 days into the cruise though. I don't know what their criteria are.

Oh, that's a long cruise.  I guess the question should have also been what date did you board. 

Since you said 26 days into the cruise, then you must have sailed before September 3, 2022, when the new policy came into effect.

I wonder if passengers on sailings after September 2, 2022 will still be able to get FCCs if they get Covid and have to quarantine given the new policy. 

21 minutes ago, ShopperfiendTO said:

Oh, that's a long cruise.  I guess the question should have also been what date did you board. 

Since you said 26 days into the cruise, then you must have sailed before September 3, 2022, when the new policy came into effect.

I wonder if passengers on sailings after September 2, 2022 will still be able to get FCCs if they get Covid and have to quarantine given the new policy. 

I don't know but everyone on our cruise had to be vaxed. I wasn't going to ask about FCC"S but then someone here mentioned it so I did and it proved to be an awesome ask!

I do wonder what O will do when unvaxed people get really sick. They seemed to have their hand full with the number of folks on board who were just regular sick.