If not Carnival then who?

groundloop

On 9/17/2022 at 12:00 PM, groundloop said:

Since I've retired we've been doing a lot of cruising (might as well spend the IRA before the kids get it 😄 ), almost exclusively on Carnival. 

We did an Alaska cruise this summer on Holland America, and to me there were a few things that I like better about HA and there were a few things I liked better about Carnival.

I'm thinking it's time to look at other cruise lines to see what we think of them. We've always book at least a balcony cabin, I like Carnival's shows (except for the fact that there are only a limited number of different shows across the fleet and I seem to have seen them all at least a couple of times now), in general I don't have any complaints about the food on Carnival, and I prefer a somewhat more casual atmosphere.

For those of you that have cruised other lines as well as Carnival, what are your thoughts?

My wife and I are 56 years old and have cruised Carnival, Celebrity, Virgin Voyages, Disney, Royal Caribbean, NCL, Princess and Holland America. We've yet to have a bad cruise but right now Celebrity and Virgin Voyages is at the top of the list.  Honestly Virgin was going to be a 'one and done' for us because based on the vlogs we saw before we cruised, we thought it was going to be a wild party ship. It was actually much more like a Celebrity cruise except the food was amazing. 

I have both a food review and a Scarlet Lady playlist on our YouTube channel specifically from the standpoint that the cruise was not at all what we expected, it was so much better. And being all adults it was amazeballs. Links at the end of this comment.

I would also strongly suggest Celebrity. Beautiful ships, white glove treatment without the stuffy attitude, good food across the board and those Edge class ships look ridiculous. We've sailed four Solstice Class ships so far and love them all. They have one of my favorite bars at sea with the World Class Bar. All have indoor solarium pools which are our 'go-to' pools on any Celebrity ships.

NCL has excellent speciality dining and really good entertainment. We flat out love Food Republic on the NCL Escape and the Prima has made that restaurant about 3 times bigger. The new NCL Prima looks like it has elevated everything both luxury and fun. I would stay Breakaway class or higher with NCL. 

So if you're looking for something new, my suggestions are Virgin Voyages, Celebrity and NCL. You might also look at the Holland Pinnacle ships if you have not sailed them yet. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MWarren3549 said:

Ive sailed Carnival some and more with NCL.  Food on NCL is HORRIBLE.  Carnival has GREAT food.  I haven't seen a lot of shows on Carnival. I cruise Carnival for the piano bar.  NCL has AMAZING shows.  Just Broadway quality.  Carnival is more affordable for:  Cruise cost, excursions, and drink package.  

And my friends and I think Carnivals food isn't that great.  They think that NCL has better food options, including a 24 hr restaurant.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, MWarren3549 said:

Ive sailed Carnival some and more with NCL.  Food on NCL is HORRIBLE.  Carnival has GREAT food.  I haven't seen a lot of shows on Carnival. I cruise Carnival for the piano bar.  NCL has AMAZING shows.  Just Broadway quality.  Carnival is more affordable for:  Cruise cost, excursions, and drink package.  

I can say from our experiences on NCL Getaway and Escape, the MDR food is meh like Carnival, but their specialty dining is fantastic. Better than Carnival except for Rudi's Seagrill on Mardi Gras. That is in its own orbit it's so good. But Food Republic, Ocean Blue, Cagney's Steakhouse, Teppenyaki, all excellent restaurants on NCL with Food Republic being our favorite.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, WheresWalter said:

I can say from our experiences on NCL Getaway and Escape, the MDR food is meh like Carnival, but their specialty dining is fantastic. Better than Carnival except for Rudi's Seagrill on Mardi Gras. That is in its own orbit it's so good. But Food Republic, Ocean Blue, Cagney's Steakhouse, Teppenyaki, all excellent restaurants on NCL with Food Republic being our favorite.

Of course the included food on NCL and Carnival is “meh” - they are discount cruise lines which attract customers with their low prices;  and then offer alternative dining (for which you pay) to make up the difference.  

You may not always get what you pay for - but you surely will not ever be given anything better than what you are willing to pay for.  

Edited by navybankerteacher

7 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

Of course the included food on NCL and Carnival is “meh” - they are discount cruise lines which attract customers with their low prices;  and then offer alternative dining (for which you pay) to make up the difference.  

You may not always get what you pay for - but you surely will not ever be given anything better than what you are willing to pay for.  

I wouldn't call NCL a 'discount' cruise line, especially in light of their Haven experience, their Breakaway Class ships and the new Prima. That Indulge Food Hall that is included in the price of the cruise on the Prima class looks amazing from all who have been posting from the ship.

Carnival doesn't have anything even remotely close to that Haven experience, nor the Prima or even the Breakaway Class ships. Carnival is an amazing value for what it is. 

• Like 1

Just now, WheresWalter said:

I wouldn't call NCL a 'discount' cruise line, especially in light of their Haven experience, their Breakaway Class ships and the new Prima. That Indulge Food Hall that is included in the price of the cruise on the Prima class looks amazing from all who have been posting from the ship.

Carnival doesn't have anything even remotely close to that Haven experience, nor the Prima or even the Breakaway Class ships. Carnival is an amazing value for what it is. 

Of course if you book Haven you are not booking regular NCL accommodations.

NCL’s business model is to offer very low prices to lure people on board - and then to offer alternatives to people who want more than the bare bones bargain basement experience.  That is why they have such a variety of rather good alternative dining options.  Then, however, thinking people should comparison shop - and see what other lines offer for the price they wind up paying on NCL if they want anything more than the bargain deal.