Vigo Tuesday 1st November Is a National Holiday (All Saints Day)

Amelia Noylam

Our only Vigo visit was on a Sunday.  Apart from the shopping centre by the quay and the seafood restaurants everything else was closed.

We managed a walk to the castle.

Being a national holiday you may actually find events, parades etc taking place.

• Like 1

November 1st is 'All Saints' Day' and families visit the graves of their deceased loved ones.   You will find a few bars and cafes open but most things will be closed.  You may find a local shopping centre open, but many of the stores inside will be closed and probably only the 'anchor tenant' i.e. supermarket, open.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Amelia Noylam said:

Due to being a National Holiday, and looking on the internet most things are closed right across Europe for All Saints Day, will P & O be still doing trips on this day.

Is all saints day celebrated in the UK ?. I have not heard of it. Most things closed right across Europe may be exaggerating a tad. Your other post that got moved was not so all encompassing. We will be in Santiago in a couple of weeks. We will ask them😉

12 minutes ago, zap99 said:

Is all saints day celebrated in the UK ?. I have not heard of it. Most things closed right across Europe may be exaggerating a tad. Your other post that got moved was not so all encompassing. We will be in Santiago in a couple of weeks. We will ask them😉

All Saints Day here was known as All Hallows day which is where we get Halloween from All Hallows Eve.

I remember being taken to Church on 1st November every year but I don't  know whether a mass is still held on All Saints Day.

A (la) Coruna and Vigo are the two most commonly used ports for shorex to Santiago de Compostela, with Vigo being slightly further away.

Not having visited either on a public holiday, I do not know if shorex will operate or not, but should they do so, that shorex might be your best option as Santiago de Compostelo is in interesting visit, but you could check online info for Vigo and surrounds in case something else appeals more.

Edited by edinburgher
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Josy1953 said:

All Saints Day here was known as All Hallows day which is where we get Halloween from All Hallows Eve.

I remember being taken to Church on 1st November every year but I don't  know whether a mass is still held on All Saints Day.

I must admit it is something that has passed me by. I can't recall most things being closed on 1 November. 

I have now found out but thank you for answering.

Yes Josy 1953, it's still called that in Spain, Portugal, France etc also called "Day of the Dead"

England, America, Canada and a few others don't celebrate, but most countries do.

When we are in Vigo on the 1st of November, which now I have been told all shops will be closed part from a couple of supermarkets and a few cafes and pubs might be open.

They sometime have parades etc which will be nice to see.

2nd of November a normal working day.