Cash for Turkish ports

I might not have a chance to get Turkish Lira before my port calls. What has been the experience of using dollars or euros? I will of course have credit cards but i thought a little folding money would be handy. Thanks for your insights. 

There are many ATMs where you can withdraw Lira.  When I was there, I found one within 500 feet of leaving the port gate (I was walking).  Since then, they have built a new cruise terminal building, so I would think they may have put in an ATM in the terminal.

Notify your bank of your travel plans in advance.

As the above poster says, using an ATM is a good option.

Depending on which ports you're visiting and what you are buying, you'll find varying levels of acceptance for other currencies.  I would not suggest trying to use dollars (although some merchants may be happy to take them for purchases, you are likely to be getting a miserable exchange rate).  Euros are sometimes readily quoted and taken, but again I would double-check what kind of exchange you're being offered.

In a touristy place like the shops near the port in Ephesus, they will "wheel and deal".  In a mom and pop restaurant in a less touristy area, maybe not so much.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

We didn't get any lira for our 5 days in Istanbul, Kusadasi and Bozcaada in May.  Mostly I used credit cards.  But I'm not much of a shopper, so maybe that's why I don't usually worry too much about such things. And I do things on my own, so seldom need money for tips.  If I need it, I'll use U.S. notes.