Transfers requiring we stay at O selected hotel?

Sujormik

We are staying with friends in London June 23. We are willing to pay the cost of the transfer from the O-selected hotel (Bailey’s Millenium I believe) to the port in Southampton. I was told we could not add that and can only purchase the transfer if we STAY at the Bailey hotel. This just seems really weird to me.  I could stay at the Bailey for less than the O price and use the service, but can’t walk across the street from another location for that same service?

Anyone have experience with this? Seems ridiculous to me. Thanks.

11 minutes ago, Sujormik said:

We are staying with friends in London June 23. We are willing to pay the cost of the transfer from the O-selected hotel (Bailey’s Millenium I believe) to the port in Southampton. I was told we could not add that and can only purchase the transfer if we STAY at the Bailey hotel. This just seems really weird to me.  I could stay at the Bailey for less than the O price and use the service, but can’t walk across the street from another location for that same service?

Anyone have experience with this? Seems ridiculous to me. Thanks.

Hardly weird. The O transfer is an incentive for booking the “expensive” (per person charge) O hotel via O’s “package” - not the other way around. Booking that hotel on your own (at a far less expensive price) still wouldn’t get you the O transfer

Stay where you want and find a good transfer company for London to Southampton. We use Silver Fleet.

Edited by Flatbush Flyer
  • Like 1

O selected hotels, in our experience, are way overpriced. Going on the hotel website is even cheaper than what O is charging and, there are many hotels in the area much cheaper.

There are many ways to get to Southampton, from private limo (expensive, up to $400) to bus

rome2rio dot com has 4 options has options from $6 to $80 and 1.5 to 2.5 hours travel times.

Edited by pete_coach
  • Like 1

There are busses that take you from London (from Victoria coach station, I believe) to Southampton.  We have used it before and it’s not too expensive.   If you are concerned about not getting to the port on time because of road delays, etc., you can choose to get to Southampton the night before.  We did that and had some time to explore Southampton.

Edited by Psoque
  • Like 1

You can get to Portsmouth either with a train from Waterloo or a bus from Victoria.  Bus is crazy cheap, and might be easier with a lot of luggage since Victoria Coach Station is much smaller than Waterloo Train Station.  But this is also dependent on where you are coming from.  If you are staying near Waterloo, I would consider taking the train, for example.

3 hours ago, oskidunker said:

Oceania leaves from Portsmouth.  

And sometimes Southampton - less often than Portsmouth but it never hurts to check 🙂

Who me, browsing all those brochures? There was one longer cruise I noticed recently (putting together several segments) that was London-London but 2 different ports!