Testing or not?

slanik

We will be sailing on Oct 2 out of Boston to Maine and Canada on The Voyager of the Seas.  With the recent changes to the Canadian Arrive can policy is testing still needed?  Will we need to test to cruise to Canada on Oct 2nd?  Thank you.

9 minutes ago, slanik said:

We will be sailing on Oct 2 out of Boston to Maine and Canada on The Voyager of the Seas.  With the recent changes to the Canadian Arrive can policy is testing still needed?  Will we need to test to cruise to Canada on Oct 2nd?  Thank you.

It all depends on what RCL decides to do about its current testing protocols for cruises to Canada. Given that Canada has not changed the language for pre-cruise testing on their Covid website yet and the Arrive Canada policy is slated to end on September 30, I doubt that the testing policy will change in time for your cruise. 

My wife and I are the same cruise and while it's possible the requirement might change, I've already scheduled our tests with RapidTestAndTrace.com fro Friday the 30th.  If it does change, I'll just cancel and be out the $40 I had to prepay.  But I suspect nothing will change for cruise ships.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, orville99 said:

It all depends on what RCL decides to do about its current testing protocols for cruises to Canada. Given that Canada has not changed the language for pre-cruise testing on their Covid website yet and the Arrive Canada policy is slated to end on September 30, I doubt that the testing policy will change in time for your cruise. 

Since Canadas covid protocols expire 9/30/22 if they do not extend them and rescind the current ones you may be all set.  Just need to wait and see what Canada officially declares.

29 minutes ago, dancersp119 said:

Since Canadas covid protocols expire 9/30/22 if they do not extend them and rescind the current ones you may be all set.  Just need to wait and see what Canada officially declares.

For a cruise that sails on October 2, testing would have to be done before the protocols expire, and the Arrive Canada application would already be due and processed. That’s a pretty tight window to roll the dice and chance the outcome.

Edited by orville99

23 minutes ago, orville99 said:

For a cruise that sails on October 2, testing would have to be done before the protocols expire, and the Arrive Canada application would already be due and processed. That’s a pretty tight window to roll the dice and chance the outcome.

Testing can be done prior to protocol expiration, but it can also be done on embarkation morning.

1 hour ago, orville99 said:

For a cruise that sails on October 2, testing would have to be done before the protocols expire, and the Arrive Canada application would already be due and processed.

Not following your logic. You can create an ArriveCAN account, install the app, and upload passport and vax records, but you cannot COMPLETE the ArriveCAN process until you are within 72 hours of the cruise sailing time.

Also, as far as I can tell (and I'm less sure of this since I've not completed ArriveCAN yet), the app has nothing to do with COVID testing.

Unless there is some news in the last several hours, no changes in Canada's protocols for non-cruise arrives have been officially promulgated yet (although expected to), and cruise requirements are a different matter. Canada's cruise requirements have been stricter than arrival by all other forms of transportation. It is hoped they will change those too, but that hasn't been stated. 

We could hold off until Oct. 1st for both ArriveCAN and testing to see what happens.  In fact, you can even hold off on doing ArriveCAN until after boarding and sail away.  It just has to be completed before arrival at at the first Canadian port.  I've been hearing of people on current sailings getting called to GS the night before arrival in Canada because they did not fill out ArriveCAN yet.  

Didn't take that long to do the basic info on ArriveCAN at home, plus I will not have internet on the ship to get email confirmation codes, upload fax cards, etc. As to filling the last bit on ship, since  I am doing a B2B, I may have to do it in the port or maybe GS will let me have internet access to do it.