Is there any hope MSC will relax European testing protocols?

Native Floridian 26

10 minutes ago, defbref said:

What timing ! I just checked on Travel Requirements Mediterranean | MSC Cruises and they are relaxing requirements from 1st October,

No longer require full vaccination, but recommended

Vaccinated no longer require testing, but recommended.

Good for UK residents, but no change yet on US to Med.

• Like 2

The UK page doesn't specify UK residents only in the language so I can't imagine that they'll mandate US residents test and UK residents don't. That seems like an embarkation nightmare, honestly, as your passport doesn't always indicate your residence (I have both Canadian and US passports for example).

Hopeful they update the US website soon.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, defbref said:

What timing ! I just checked on Travel Requirements Mediterranean | MSC Cruises and they are relaxing requirements from 1st October,

Spain has the updates.  I didn't check that this morning, so I'm not sure if that was there all day or not.  Hopefully, it's just a matter of doing each country's websites.

16 hours ago, defbref said:

I just saw this on the Virtuosa FB page.

I almost booked tests for my 8 Nov sailing and rang MSC yesterday with the cruise details to be 100% sure a home test was ok.... And was told yes provided you had a certificate. What she should have said was they e changed the rules, you no longer need one, but it's recommend you do.

My fears with this news is that people will now travel knowing or suspecting they have COVID. 

2 hours ago, les37b said:

I almost booked tests for my 8 Nov sailing and rang MSC yesterday with the cruise details to be 100% sure a home test was ok....

I am on the same cruise and refuse to think about the test before 1 Nov. I was told that there are unlimited test options in Hamburg where you get a certificate after 15 minutes. It is either free, costs 3 Euro or maximum 15 Euro.

4 hours ago, perakcruiser said:

I am on the same cruise and refuse to think about the test before 1 Nov. I was told that there are unlimited test options in Hamburg where you get a certificate after 15 minutes. It is either free, costs 3 Euro or maximum 15 Euro.

Why are you looking to test in Hamburg?

I've counted 26 countries' websites that have been updated for the new 10/1 protocols.  There may be more as I haven't looked at all of them.  No updates on the US site for European cruises which is really disturbing.  I called and the rep said there were no changes to the US protocols.  Hoping he's just clueless. 

Does anyone have any better news?

Edited by Native Floridian 26

16 hours ago, les37b said:

My apologies.... Not sure why I mentioned the 8th. Our start is Southampton on the 4th.

Ah, I see, that is the one with Cherbourg. Also was thinking about that one (because of Mont-Saint-Michel) and booking on MSC UK because of the free water and hot drinks. Still don´t really understand why you Brits get this and the other Europeans not😄

But in the end Hamburg was the easier starting point for us. 

19 hours ago, Native Floridian 26 said:

No updates on the US site for European cruises which is really disturbing.  I called and the rep said there were no changes to the US protocols.  Hoping he's just clueless. 

I seriously doubts MSC will enforce different rules based on how you purchased your cruise. This would require top-notch communication between headquarters, shoreside, port and ship. Strangely I can't image this happening.