Unvaxxed Testing to Bermuda

dmlum

We are booked this February onboard Norwegian Getaway sailing from NY and going only to Bermuda. I realize requirements will likely change between now and then but I’m at least wondering what the requirements are now. I’ve checked NCLs page as well as Bermudas and they seem to have conflicting information as to what is required if sailing unvaccinated.

NCL says you must show a negative test taken no longer than 2 days prior to embarkation and also that Bermuda requires a negative test within two days of arriving unless the first port of call is Bermuda and it takes less than four days to get there. So is it two days or four? Do we need to get tested the day before embarkation to get onboard, then again at embarkation or on the ship en route to Bermuda?

ive spoken with a couple people at ncl who both provide conflicting information and I’m hoping someone unvaccinated who has sailed recently from ny to Bermuda can fill me in as to what actually happened.

1 hour ago, dmlum said:

NCL says you must show a negative test taken no longer than 2 days prior to embarkation and also that Bermuda requires a negative test within two days of arriving unless the first port of call is Bermuda and it takes less than four days to get there. So is it two days or four? Do we need to get tested the day before embarkation to get onboard, then again at embarkation or on the ship en route to Bermuda?

For unvaccinated passengers it's 2 days-- in order to disembark you'll need to be 2 days or less so that will require a negative test the day of embarkation (usually what happens if you are a day at sea and then arriving) or while onboard-- depending on how long you'll be sailing down. You'll also need to show proof of additional travel health insurance in order to disembark.  

1 hour ago, princeton123211 said:

For unvaccinated passengers it's 2 days-- in order to disembark you'll need to be 2 days or less so that will require a negative test the day of embarkation (usually what happens if you are a day at sea and then arriving) or while onboard-- depending on how long you'll be sailing down. You'll also need to show proof of additional travel health insurance in order to disembark.  

So unless you test on the day of embarkation you’ll be required to test again while onboard if you want to get off in Bermuda? Is onboard testing paid for by NCL? I was told by one source it was and by another that it wasn’t. I was also told that they are testing all unvaccinated passengers at embarkation but I can’t find anything to support that.

if testing the day of (but prior to) embarkation is the only way to avoid testing again while onboard what are the options available in NYC? Is waiting until that day a smart idea in case the results don’t come back before it’s time to board? What happens if you try to board without the test results?

1 hour ago, moposh said:

Not true.  Didn't have to show anything to disembark.

Not to disembark, but unvaccinated passengers have to upload proof of insurance with their travel authorization application . If you don't then Bermuda will not approve your application (assuming they're following their rules).

35 minutes ago, dmlum said:

So unless you test on the day of embarkation you’ll be required to test again while onboard if you want to get off in Bermuda? Is onboard testing paid for by NCL? I was told by one source it was and by another that it wasn’t. I was also told that they are testing all unvaccinated passengers at embarkation but I can’t find anything to support that.

NCL's own website states that any testing for the unvaccinated is completely at the passenger's own cost and ranges from $95 for an antigen and $199 per person for a PCR test. 

37 minutes ago, dmlum said:

Is waiting until that day a smart idea in case the results don’t come back before it’s time to board? What happens if you try to board without the test results?

Most proctored online testing the results are fairly quick. In theory if you went to the pier without any testing you wouldn't be allowed to board. 

5 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

Not to disembark, but unvaccinated passengers have to upload proof of insurance with their travel authorization application . If you don't then Bermuda will not approve your application (assuming they're following their rules).

Thank you-- thats what I meant (but didn't articulate well).