Infinite veranda on Viking!

rmalbers

Ok, I've always thought that there would be no way I would sail X in a cabin with a infinite veranda but after sailing in a cabin with one in the Great Lakes last week on a Viking Expedition ship I'm changing my mind.  I really liked it for the weather conditions we had that time of the year.  It was also nice standing right in front of it without the wind (and rain, sometimes).   Not saying I would do it in the carib (I'm not in Jan 2023) but for some locations I think it works perfect.  I'm converted. 

Edited by rmalbers

17 minutes ago, rmalbers said:

Ok, I've always thought that there would be no way I would sail X in a cabin with a infinite veranda but after sailing in a cabin with one in the Great Lakes last week on a Viking Expedition ship I'm changing my mind.  I really liked it for the weather conditions we had that time of the year.  It was also nice standing right in front of it without the wind (and rain, sometimes).   Not saying I would do it in the carib (I'm not in Jan 2023) but for some locations I think it works perfect.  I'm converted. 

There are lots of river cruise ships in the EU that have IVs.    We opted for a regular balcony on the large AmaMagna and were glad we did.   I've only done IV once on Edge and won't again.   IMO it doesn't work well on the ocean.   Glad you enjoyed your experience.   

16 hours ago, rmalbers said:

I was ok with it for the same reasons on a cooler weather cruise. DH didn’t like it, but I’m the balcony sitter and he’s the napper. I think it would be awful for the Caribbean, personally.

My understanding is that it improves fuel efficiency, so don’t look for them to go away.

7 hours ago, tugboat said:

All new ships on Celebrity and Royal will have infinite verandas, they aren’t going anywhere 

You will only know that when the Edge class is replaced. X commited to the IV's long before they knew if they would be popular i. e. they ordered 3/4 of the E class simultaneously. They made a similar  decision when they fitted the M class with jet engines a choice X lived to regret and quickly reversed with the S class.

Interestingly when I booked my May cruise on Silhouette I told agent I wanted to try Aqua but with a balcony. He said the IV are like marmite - you either love them or hate them. Not really a great selling point.

However if you want to sail E class unless you can afford a suite or are quick off the mark to bag a SV then IV is your only choice. 

And I’d never book a PH on E class. For that money I want a proper balcony!