LIVE from Royal Princess sailing Sept 24 - (3 day Coastal) followed by Sept 27- (12 Day Mexico)

mrsskyhook

Hello everyone!  I am Linda , from Parksville on Vancouver Island, BC  Canada.   I am fortunate to be married to the lovely and talented Lyle , and  we are mere hours away from boarding Royal Princess for our b2b cruises.  

We are not novice travellers by any means, having sailed ~30 cruises and far more trips to Mexico than I care to count.   We don't get too wound up about little things that sometimes go wrong (or if not wrong, maybe "below expectations" might be a better phrase?).    As a former travel agent, I know full well that stuff happens.  

All that being said, I  am going to do this "Live from" review in the hopes that it is helpful to someone along the way.  If you have questions that I can get the answers for your onboard, please ask away.  I will try to post lots of pictures too.  And of course you will most likely hear from Lyle as well.  Onboard the ship you can recognize him by his extensive collection of hawaiian type shirts.

We were aboard Royal Princess in May of this year to Alaska, so are already familiar with a lot of the ship.   

Anyway, we have our negative covid tests and ArriveCan reciepts tucked into our passports, but I still need to finish packing and then we head to the ferry to Vancouver and board the ship. Time to get off the computer and get 'er done!  Talk to you soon.

received_737457247542584.thumb.jpg.67edca578412d5941cfdddd402f9cfd6.jpg

Edited by mrsskyhook
correct spelling
  • Like 13
  • Thanks 2

Looking forward to your "LIVE FROM" posts.  If possible, can you post pics of the MDR dinner menus, especially from the 12 day sailing?   ceilidh1 posted some but not all from her 7 day cruise since she also did specialty dining.

Edited by sfpd3000

Following along, thank you for doing this! Yes please post menus and food pics if possible. Also I am interested in what Dolphin deck looks like, particularly the aft cabins back by the rear elevators, and if that deck is still being used for Covid quarantine or not? They are showing as available to book for the Christmas cruise but I am wondering if they will be "normal" cabins or not. 

Edited by rocklinmom
typo

We are onboard and sitting at lunch. It took us 40 mins from luggage drop to standing in our cabin. The customs and immigration accounted for about 30 mins of that time. There are 3 large ships in Port, so lots of people. The aforementioned line ups were for both Princess and the Holland America ships. As soon as we passed immigration it became clear that at that point of the day, only a very few people were boarding Royal Princess. We checked in, got our medallions and walked straight on board.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Wink87 said:

I just booked my first Princess cruise on the Royal for Alaska next June. Looking forward to your review of the ship, food, etc. Ty for doing this!

Check out the last week's sailing posts from @ceilidh1She posts extensively. Gives out tons of information. I was also on that sailing to Ak for 7 days. Short, but also, sweet!

Good morning @mrsskyhook I hope you are enjoying the ship so far! I just got off yesterday and am so wishing I was still on board with you.

I have a favour to ask. If possible, can you take a photo of the officer board? Please and thank you. 

I am looking for one individual who appears to have changed since ceilidh1 took the photo last week. I am looking for the name and photo of the Food and Beverage director. I chatted with him extensively on the last day, but didn't get a last name. Varjun, I think.

My friendly bartender from Crooners - moved to Good Spirits last night. Another fellow from earlier in the season, has moved to Vines. So fun to re-visit those crew members who we get to know and who are always so attentive and fun.

Enjoy! I should have stayed on board for those next two sailings! It's such wishful thinking from CruzeQueen2 here in Vancouver. I will look at future sailings in November now, instead.

50 minutes ago, CruzeQueen2 said:

Good morning @mrsskyhook I hope you are enjoying the ship so far! I just got off yesterday and am so wishing I was still on board with you.

I have a favour to ask. If possible, can you take a photo of the officer board? Please and thank you. 

I am looking for one individual who appears to have changed since ceilidh1 took the photo last week. I am looking for the name and photo of the Food and Beverage director. I chatted with him extensively on the last day, but didn't get a last name. Varjun, I think.

My friendly bartender from Crooners - moved to Good Spirits last night. Another fellow from earlier in the season, has moved to Vines. So fun to re-visit those crew members who we get to know and who are always so attentive and fun.

Enjoy! I should have stayed on board for those next two sailings! It's such wishful thinking from CruzeQueen2 here in Vancouver. I will look at future sailings in November now, instead.

16641256554264742270976491210259.thumb.jpg.a89116c5cc40111b25660d41a9a12712.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mrsskyhook said:

Lito moved from Crooners to Good Spirits. I will check Vines later

Yes. He sent me a pic of the new team .I have another good buddy there already. They all work so hard on deck 5...and everywhere! Rizzy is now in Vines. In May he was sometimes at Crooners. He's in his element now.

Here is the new team at Good Spirits. I know Lito and Kris, both together on this team on deck 5. They are two of the best guys. Even though there are many more on board!  I have three more fabulous friends at Vines.

FYI Amel ar Vines, and Csaba, from CG, have gone home. Alexandria from Vines previously, went to Bellinis. Went home yesterday as well. Thank goodness there are still so many wonderful crew members for you. Enjoy. @mrsskyhook

Screenshot_2022-09-25-12-52-37.png

Edited by CruzeQueen2

33 minutes ago, mrsskyhook said:

We are told it's 1200 on this cruise and 1500 on the Sept 27 cruise to Mexico. Ship feels very deserted service is therefore amazing

Wow - I'm surprised there are so few on the Mexico portion. I really wanted to do that one but couldn't get the time off work. I love the "empty" ships but also miss the atmosphere on ful ships....

1 hour ago, ceilidh1 said:

Wow - I'm surprised there are so few on the Mexico portion. I really wanted to do that one but couldn't get the time off work. I love the "empty" ships but also miss the atmosphere on ful ships....

Hi @ceilidh1sorry we didn't get to meet. I'm sure I saw your blonde 11 yr old in the elevator going to the disembarkation lounge. I asked one woman if she was Tracey! She answered no! Was that you? LOL

MRSSKYHOOK  is on the first leg, only 3 days. Perhaps that is why there are so few passengers? I think mrsskyhook is staying on for the 10 day Mexico that follows. More passengers will embark on Sept 27, for sure!

Again, I really wanted to meet you and thank you for all the times you have shared info here. Maybe next time. I wish I was at Vines right now. @mrsskyhookhope you have time to chat with Lito and Kris at GS. They are great guys. Real people with real lives beyond the ship...enjoy your next two weeks. I'm so envious.

Edited by CruzeQueen2