NCL pricing confusion

moesyk4

We would love to book another cruise with NCL for the spring but have been having issues with the pricing…whether I check online booking online or directly through NCL, the price for 5 in a family ocean view is listed somewhere between $275 and $312 a person. When I get to the page to actual book, the price jumps a total of $500 or more depending on the site. It still shows 3rd and 4th guest free, but the price for the 1st, 2nd, and 5th guest have jumped. I reached out to NCL and they kept saying it was taxes, but I can clearly see taxes and fees in a separate category in addition to this base fare subtotal (in addition to gratuities for the “perks”. Am I missing something? I thought maybe they auto added gratuities but since it isn’t listed

for the 3rd and 4th guests that doesn’t make sense. I will try to add screenshots.

9BB9EA6B-2E7E-49E0-88ED-C1127EF4A04E.png

C357C46E-7716-44DE-8612-195F50D10E84.png

15 minutes ago, moesyk4 said:

We would love to book another cruise with NCL for the spring but have been having issues with the pricing…whether I check online booking online or directly through NCL, the price for 5 in a family ocean view is listed somewhere between $275 and $312 a person. When I get to the page to actual book, the price jumps a total of $500 or more depending on the site. It still shows 3rd and 4th guest free, but the price for the 1st, 2nd, and 5th guest have jumped. I reached out to NCL and they kept saying it was taxes, but I can clearly see taxes and fees in a separate category in addition to this base fare subtotal (in addition to gratuities for the “perks”. Am I missing something? I thought maybe they auto added gratuities but since it isn’t listed

for the 3rd and 4th guests that doesn’t make sense. I will try to add screenshots.

First of all, nothing is free.  Essentially, what NCL is adjusting the price for the first, second, and third passenger to pay for the 'free' fourth and fifth passenger.  Look at it this way.  Assuming an average of the prices you're seeing is $300 PP ie, ($275 and $312) .  Five passengers would be $1500 which is the same as three passengers for $500 each, $1500.  (all cruise lines do it too).

It's one of the oldest tricks in the marketing book of salesmanship, the quickest way to a sale is to convince the customer that they're getting something for free.  The whole Free At Sea is just a marketing gimmic.  You're still paying for those perks, they're not 'free', they're included in the price.

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

The whole Free At Sea is just a marketing gimmic.  You're still paying for those perks, they're not 'free', they're included in the price.

Which is a solid concept, until you find this, the room WITH perks is a little over half the price of the room without!

Screen Shot 2022-09-25 at 3.55.56 PM.png

• Haha 2

One of the cruises I had wanted (specific dates) was lumped in with other dates and they all had the banner of 3rd & 4th guest free, plus all the other free at sea too.  But when you click through and choose the ONE specific date to reserve, the “3rd/4th free” part of the sale goes away… while the other free-at-sea perks remain. 

I understand NCL using the “free” gimmick, but…. In the example I’m talking about, it’s coming closer to actual fraud.  Or at least bait & switch.

NCL mostly covers themselves within their Terms & Conditions.

Generally speaking, the "bottom line" of the Terms & Conditions IS (actually at, or near) the last sentence!  And boy, aren't those T&C's wordy and numerous!!!

Edited by ggTexasGal
added
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Jed12345 said:
  • It says "on select dates"

Icon-Offers-KidsFree_0.svg

FREE 3RD & 4TH GUESTS

Save big with free cruise fares for Guests 3rd and 4th on your reservation. Available on select dates.3rd & 4th Guests pay taxes only

I knew there would be legal jargon that would excuse them for suckering people into starting a reservation thinking they’d get 4 pax for price of 2.  Unfortunately, that fine print isn’t anywhere near the groupings of cruise dates surrounded by the banner implying all the cruise dates in that grouping have the same perks.

3 minutes ago, styxfire said:

I knew there would be legal jargon that would excuse them for suckering people into starting a reservation thinking they’d get 4 pax for price of 2.  Unfortunately, that fine print isn’t anywhere near the groupings of cruise dates surrounded by the banner implying all the cruise dates in that grouping have the same perks.

Sometimes there are reasonable deals!  Unfortunately, it seems that your situation did not fit in that particular case.  Good luck to you!

10 minutes ago, ggTexasGal said:

Sometimes there are reasonable deals!  Unfortunately, it seems that your situation did not fit in that particular case.  Good luck to you!

I would support some type of congressional action that would require cruiselines to provide more clarity in their price offerings.  It seems less-than-reputable to lump a non-perk cruise-date in the same chart as 7 other cruise-dates that do have it.  The current advertising strategies are essentially a “buyer use caution” type of situation.

It’s the same as seeing a bin of beach balls in a Walmart aisle, some red, some yellow, blue, orange, green etc. with a huge bold sign saying “2 for 1!”  But on the backside of that bin where people seldom look there’s a 3x5 postcard with Arial size 7 font saying “Red balls full price”.  

Most of us (on cruisecritic) know that the cruiselines pull visual sales tricks to lure customers, and we try to be vigilant when purchasing so we don’t fall victim to tricky advertising.  But we should demand better. The only people who condone those $)&@#€*!  ploys are marketing executives.

I know there are numerous complaints here  regarding FAS so won’t beat the dead horse any longer.  But we really do deserve more clarity in the pricing.  At least, I do.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, moesyk4 said:

Have you tried the booking without selecting the "open bar"?

Normally the drinks gratuities are shown as a line item, like for the "free" meals, strange it's not shown on yours, maybe there is a fare for without open bar (the headline rate) then a higher rate with drinks included.

Also, is there a "sailaway" rate on the cabin selection page? That's the cheapest rate, but adding drinks or meals (like you have) pushes you to the higher "free" at sea rate.

Just like "basic economy" on US flights. A cheap headline rate but no bags included. 

Edited by Rob_H

54 minutes ago, casofilia said:

@hallux

What is the cruise that you have found that "anomaly" for please?

October 23-30, 2022, Canada/New England on the Breakaway from New York.  It's been this way for a while.  Inside and Ocean View cabins are only $50 more to get the FAS perks.  Oh - my pricing is for ONE in the cabin, I sail solo.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Rob_H said:

Have you tried the booking without selecting the "open bar"?

It looks like he declined the free drinks, but still shows taxes on specialty dining and port fees.

I was curious if the $275 - $312 was a sail away rate? 

16 hours ago, styxfire said:

I would support some type of congressional action that would require cruiselines to provide more clarity in their price offerings.  It seems less-than-reputable to lump a non-perk cruise-date in the same chart as 7 other cruise-dates that do have it.  The current advertising strategies are essentially a “buyer use caution” type of situation.

If by 'chart' you mean when you pick an itinerary and click on 'VIEW DATES & PRICES' there are icons indicating which features are available for each room category and sailing date.  The 3rd and 4th guest free is an outline of a person with a plus sign.

• Like 1

This particular cruise rate, however, is listed AFTER I have already chosen both the cruise date (In this case to the PP, January 8th, 2023) and the number of passengers. I have tried both with and without the "perks" and it just removes the gratuities, it doesn't change the price. I will take a screenshot of the breakdown of the price on the final screen as well.

We currently are booked with MSC in two balcony staterooms for 1,000 less than we would pay for sharing a family oceanview on Norwegian. We just really loved the Norwegian experience last time we sailed and I would like to at least consider it.

I see your point, this is confusing.  If you look up this for 2:

image.thumb.png.f3fc7e732dbbeb388f310274321fd5ee.png

or 3:

image.thumb.png.cd68a5209c69c89a98b0649d0075a5f1.png

or 5:

image.thumb.png.9c5d5723ac505131ffc38c9907f5f899.png

It seems to cost average with how many guests, but it still doesn't add up to the $1963.80.

I've never booked that many guests in 1 room. I have no idea how they come up with the amount.

I hope you have a great trip on MSC!

Oh dang. The NCL website is notoriously bad. It seems it's quoting you the double occupancy rate divided by 5 passengers. Obviously that's wrong since only passengers 3 and 4 sail "free". Incredibly frustrating! And misleading to say the least. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Jed12345 said:

I see your point, this is confusing.  If you look up this for 2:

image.thumb.png.f3fc7e732dbbeb388f310274321fd5ee.png

or 3:

image.thumb.png.cd68a5209c69c89a98b0649d0075a5f1.png

or 5:

image.thumb.png.9c5d5723ac505131ffc38c9907f5f899.png

It seems to cost average with how many guests, but it still doesn't add up to the $1963.80.

I've never booked that many guests in 1 room. I have no idea how they come up with the amount.

I hope you have a great trip on MSC!

Thanks! I really think we will keep it our MSC cruise in the end…I am just slightly worried about activities for kids as their last cruise preCovid was Allure and that had so much to do! 

2 minutes ago, moesyk4 said:

activities for kids as their last cruise preCovid was Allure and that had so much to do! 

Sorry to say, I have a feeling that pretty much ANY other ship is going to seem like there's nothing for kids to do in comparison to an Oasis-class ship, if that's your benchmark...

• Like 1