Transportation from San Diego airport to hotels by sea port

ronmar22

First time sailing from San Diego.  I’ve read where the airport is not far from the port.  What will be the best means of transportation for us (2 adults) to get from the airport to our hotel which is the Springhill suites across from the cruise port?  I did a check on what Uber would cost and was surprised at how much it would be.  Taxi?  Airport shuttle?

3 minutes ago, DaveOKC said:

And IMO Springhill Suites (assuming its the Bayfront one) is a great choice.  Newer, modern hotel right across from pier (100 yards or so) and an easy walk even with luggage.

After reading plenty of comments such as yours we reserved a room at the Springhill a few months ago.  Never been to San Diego and are looking forward it, although a short visit.  Cruising on 30th and arriving early on 29th.  We'll only have 1 full day to find something fun to do.  The Midway Museum and/or the Zoo both sound interesting along with several other things.

30 minutes ago, ronmar22 said:

After reading plenty of comments such as yours we reserved a room at the Springhill a few months ago.  Never been to San Diego and are looking forward it, although a short visit.  Cruising on 30th and arriving early on 29th.  We'll only have 1 full day to find something fun to do.  The Midway Museum and/or the Zoo both sound interesting along with several other things.

Both are great choices but I would go for the Midway Museum as its about a 2 block walk away from your hotel.  Can add a visit to the nearby Maritime Musuem and then a few blocks walk to Little Italy for a meal!

22 minutes ago, DaveOKC said:

Both are great choices but I would go for the Midway Museum as its about a 2 block walk away from your hotel.  Can add a visit to the nearby Maritime Musuem and then a few blocks walk to Little Italy for a meal!

Actually the Midway was what we were leaning to and the Maritime Museum sounds interesting also.  As far as dining, we have not decided where to go on that yet.  We do heavily favor Italian food so Little Italy might just happen.  Thanks again for input.

14 minutes ago, ronmar22 said:

Actually the Midway was what we were leaning to and the Maritime Museum sounds interesting also.  As far as dining, we have not decided where to go on that yet.  We do heavily favor Italian food so Little Italy might just happen.  Thanks again for input.

See the map below to review how close everything is.  Springhill Suites is JUST north of the Intercontinental shown on map and Little Italy is on the top right (look for Filippis, our personal favorite.

image.thumb.png.1a48ec59e619d509de5e13e38e3fa150.png

Edited by DaveOKC

1 hour ago, scottca075 said:

Sorry, pet peeve....it is the USS Midway Museum, not a museum of carnival games and amusement rides.

Aww…. As a retired military guy, I really had an idea that the “USS MIDWAY MUSEUM” would be void of carnival games and amusement rides.  However, thank you for the heads up. 

Agree with the above, just grab a taxi as you exit the airport there will be plenty.  Shouldn't cost more than $20 with tip.  Since you only have a short amount of time I would stick with USS Midway, it can take you hours.  There's a couple of good places to eat in The Headquarters shopping area.  We like Eddie V's for dinner.  San Diego Burger Co. just at the north end of Seaport Village for lunch is good and then just walk around Seaport Village.    

34 minutes ago, OneSixtyToOne said:

For lunch check out the best BBQ in town. It's where they filmed the bar scene in Top Gun.

https://kcbbq.net/

Yuck.

IMHO it is FAR from the best BBQ in San Diego. I'd be inclined to call Kansas City BBQ the biggest tourist trap in SD. It is fun to visit, just not if you want outstanding BBQ.

Not far away is Bowlegged BBQ which could stake a legitimate claim to "Best BBQ in San Diego".

PS "Best BBQ in San Diego" is also not Phil's "BBQ" which isn't BBQ at all since they don't cook their meats 'low & slow', but grill them. I do like Phil's food, I just know it isn't BBQ.

• Like 1

On 9/26/2022 at 11:21 AM, DaveOKC said:

Just wanted to thank you again.  We are sitting at the Springhill awaiting our boarding time right now and just had to say we did walk up to Fillippis Grotto and absolutely loved it.  Great pasta and we really like that kind of ambiance.  We will join you in recommending that restaurant.  

• Like 1