The 'Dry' Red Sea !

machotspur

IIRC it was last year when Mr Silver was reporting on the cruise he was on, incorporating the Red Sea.  I believe that the itinerary included two ports in Saudi Arabia, with a sea day in between. As a result Mr Silver reported that the ship was dry for at least 3 days I believe, with some quite dramatic locking up of alcohol, tipping away of open bottles etc.  

Mrs machotspur and I would like to go through 'Pirate Alley, the Red Sea, a stop in Saudi, and of course Suez, but are horrified by enduring 3 or more dry days (I know how bad that sounds !).

An itinerary we are looking at includes just one stop in Saudi - Jeddah - so I was hoping to get away with 1 dry day.  Silversea are being next to useless in answering the question so I was wondering if anybody out there has completed an itinerary with just one stop in Saudi, and if so how many 'dry days' they endured.

Edited by machotspur
Incorrectly saved

Once did a one stop visit to Jeddah ... all booze etc was put under seal before arriving and this was then checked by the authorities. Armed guards on the gangway ... just in case.

Having said that we were banned from going ashore as there was a high profile public execution that day.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, MBP&O2/O said:

Once did a one stop visit to Jeddah ... all booze etc was put under seal before arriving and this was then checked by the authorities. Armed guards on the gangway ... just in case.

Having said that we were banned from going ashore as there was a high profile public execution that day.

Thank you for the response. Noting that Jeddah was your only stop in Saudi was it just that one day that the booze was sealed up ? 

That sure is a very different reason to miss a port - makes a change  from the weather 😉