Is Princess ripping off canadians?

I've been told the credit card charges a fee for doing the conversion. I have no idea what this actually is, because I don't know what the exact exchange rate was the day my future cruise was charged to my card. But the difference in what my ship account was converted at on Saturday by Princess, to what my future cruise was converted at on Sunday by my Mastercard was less than a half a percent on the exchange rate.

I'm with you ASixth....it is crazy to let them do the exchange rate. My understanding is it the exchange rate PLUS a 3% service charge...now I may be wrong...........just what I've heard....

Thanks to your review when you returned we checked that line as soon as our tickets arrived:) SO thank you for the heads up......and your were right about room location as well.....we had C419 and was perfect!

the4ofusandallourfriends, I agree it is stupid but there are ways around it . . . write me at j_carlyl@telusplanet.net and I will give you the name of a great TA that will be able to help you.

Also for those that do future bookings make sure that you check off the US box if you use a US TA on a regular basis. We have friends that did not do this and now they can't use the credits to book with any one but a CDN agent - Princess won't change it.

A Sixth

Princess Tricks get even better :!!!!!!!!!!!

We always tick the box on our Onboard credit authorisation slip plus write in very large letters CHARGE IN US Dollars ........yet Princess still convert the onboard account to Sterling ...thats the last thing we want because our credit card is frim a Dollar account

Theres something totally cockeyed in their system ......as you say Future cruise Deposits, cruise deposits and final payments are always charged direct in dollars

Yet the onboard account they play silly buggers

Thiis has now generated a major row because we were on Feb 5th Hawaii cruise and even wrote a letter to Cheif Purser requesting that they ensure the onboard account is charged in US Dollars ............they PROMISED it would be

What happens ,,,,,final account says Credit card charged in US Dollars

but what hit the bank was a sterling charge with 4% mark up (done by some cyber space company that Princess use for transactions )........which of course was then converted back to a much higher dollar debit on our dollar account

Well the whole issue is now in the hands of Visa who will be rattling Princess Cage for us .........Princess have no excuse whatever because we have ticked the box , written on the slip and written a letter

A Sixth

Princess Tricks get even better :!!!!!!!!!!!

We always tick the box on our On-board credit authorisation slip plus write in very large letters CHARGE IN US Dollars ........yet Princess still convert the on-board account to Sterling ...that's the last thing we want because our credit card is frim a Dollar account

Theres something totally cockeyed in their system ......as you say Future cruise Deposits, cruise deposits and final payments are always charged direct in dollars

Yet the onboard account they play silly buggers

Thiis has now generated a major row because we were on Feb 5th Hawaii cruise and even wrote a letter to Cheif Purser requesting that they ensure the onboard account is charged in US Dollars ............they PROMISED it would be

What happens ,,,,,final account says Credit card charged in US Dollars

but what hit the bank was a sterling charge with 4% mark up (done by some cyber space company that Princess use for transactions )........which of course was then converted back to a much higher dollar debit on our dollar account

Well the whole issue is now in the hands of Visa who will be rattling Princess Cage for us .........Princess have no excuse whatever because we have ticked the box , written on the slip and written a letter

So they aren't just cheating Canadians, they are an "equal foreigner ripper-off'r". :D

To my knowledge, Princess is the ONLY cruise company doing this crap. Even the others within the Carnival family don't screw around with their clients billing.

I rang Princess in 2005 and asked them what rate they would be charging Canadians in 2006....they answered 1.25....at that time that would have been a good deal.......their rates and pricing are set by the year. In 2007 they have told you it will be 1.15....If the USA dollar goes up then you will be the big winner.This did happen to Princess a few years ago and they DID LOOSE OUT.

I have a USA TA and my trip is in USA dollars.:)

I'm with you ASixth....it is crazy to let them do the exchange rate. My understanding is it the exchange rate PLUS a 3% service charge...now I may be wrong...........just what I've heard....

I still don't see that fee in my numbers. The dollar was at 85 cents US the week we came back, which translates to $1.176 CDN per US dollar. My onboard account was converted at $1.182 by Princess and my future USD booking was $1.179 by the Bank Of Montreal. I wouldn't have been able to touch those numbers walking into the bank to buy US money. We got our money for $1.17 through a friend at the bank 3 days before we left, and the posted rate at the currency exchange next door to the bank in the mall was $1.19. I think we did okay all around.

I still don't see that fee in my numbers. The dollar was at 85 cents US the week we came back, which translates to $1.176 CDN per US dollar. My onboard account was converted at $1.182 by Princess and my future USD booking was $1.179 by the Bank Of Montreal. I wouldn't have been able to touch those numbers walking into the bank to buy US money. We got our money for $1.17 through a friend at the bank 3 days before we left, and the posted rate at the currency exchange next door to the bank in the mall was $1.19. I think we did okay all around.

Dan I'm glad you are happy with your situation.

My point is that Princess is using a negative option billing method that would be illegal here in Canada (remember when the Cable companies tried to add services to their customers unless they opted out by "checking a box" on their bills)

How about next time you rent a car in Florida, does Avis charge you in Can$$ or US$$? Why in a million years would you expect them to exchange the currency?

Does Princess try to rip off Canadians? In some cases I believe the answer is YES. Case in point, on my last cruise I went for that $100.00 down on a future cruise. Fine, until I went to book on the Coral, a week after I had booked, I chanced to get into my 'Personalizer', only to be informed that my cruise was 'Terminated'. I called my T.A. and I was told that since I was Canadian, and had paid in U.S. funds, I would have to fly out of Seattle, instead of Vancouver, would not have a 'free' overnight in Ft L, and my cabin had been re-sold. My response was simple. Cancel any booking on Coral, AND on the Star Princess, for which I was already booked! To cut a long story short things were straightened out in twenty-four hours! john

Well, since I checked the negative billing option box so paid in US$ I am not sure what the exchange would have been. I can't imagine why you choose Princess to handle the exchange rate rather than your credit card company or bank, but negative billing options are often employed by under handed corporations of questionable character. I am surprised that Princess would stoop so low.

When you pay at a restaurant in Florida with your Canadian Credit Card, do you double check the bill to make sure that Charlies Crab isn't converting the currancy for you?

You are so right! That is the one beef I have with Princess. They are the only ones who do this. They work hard to put out a good product and then frustrate us with this admin problem to the point that so many non-US residents may consider not being bothered with Princess again. I have gone thru this hassle with them twice over onboard charges already. I have a US Mastercard so I don't want them to convert my charges to CAD. That's the whole reason most of us get a US credit card. If I still have this problem after my April cruise, I may not cruise Princess again. It would be sad as DH and I love cruising on Princess.

That must be frustrating. You want to take advantage of using US goods and services due to your proximity, yet you are not American and are subject to what amounts to be a foreign premium. The same foreign premuim we get when we go to, say Banff. Locals do get better rates, it happens all over the world.

That must be frustrating. You want to take advantage of using US goods and services due to your proximity, yet you are not American and are subject to what amounts to be a foreign premium. The same foreign premuim we get when we go to, say Banff. Locals do get better rates, it happens all over the world.

What? You're kidding right? So by your assessment Princess is playing by 'standard' American business practises because foreigners 'owe" a premium for some reason? :eek: Please explain this theory of yours in more detail, I'm fascinated.:rolleyes:

BTW, Banff is an equal opportunity clip destination. God help you if the residents find out you're from Quebec.:D

Well thankyou everyone for all the prompt replies.:D

Re: Princess cruiseline charging 1.25 rate. The girl on the phone told me that they average the last 3 years to come up with the next year. NCL never did this. We were allowed to pay with our credit card and have the credit card do the current exchange and I actually paid in U.S cash in person at the TA, many times.

With the cruiseline constantly fluctuating prices and I as a thrifty consumer, why should I have to pay for the past 3 years customers? This has nothing to do with supply and demand. It's just a simple thing they could change every few months. I don't know, doesn't make sense. I guess they figure most people don't look that close at their bill.

I have given this over to my TA to see what she can do.

If not I shall go with the online TA, since it doesn't seem to be a problem with the posters here. As another poster acknowledge it does ask for the nearest city (not gateway but I think other sites term it this way). We never fly out of Toronto because of the prices and have booked with confidence on the online TA (there are 2 huge ones I'm not to afraid to deal with). I guess it makes me nervous to do the cruise though. So, do your documents just come in the mail? And do they provide satisfactory customer service if a problem should happen?

I'm nervous:eek: but always ready to try new things:).

Also, as a side point, I always put a deposit on my account in cash and pay the account off at the end. I've never left a credit card so I guess that would solve the whole end of the cruise exchange rate issue...Should I recommend to others in my group to pay off their accounts in us cash instead of using the credit card?

Thankyou all so much again!

Why should it matter to them where you are flying from. What if you were driving to Florida, which we have done in the past from Ontario. I totally disagree with Princess on this disgusting practice. Seems like this is just another way of slapping us Canadians in the face. Well hope this doesn't ruin your trip. Can we come with you?

It appears to me that Princess has made on adjustment with regards to their online prices. Price in USD is listed $999.00..... @ rate of 1.15 = $1148.85CAD... which is exactly what their online prices are showing. However this wasn't the case 2-6weeks ago when the rate was @ 1.25!

We booked through a TA and will pay in CDN funds but that doesn't mean I'll stop checking for price changes!

We have always received favorable exchange rates on our Mastercard in the past with a previous cruise line so thanks for the heads up on Princess's policy. We will be sure to keep an eye out for it!

Also, as a side point, I always put a deposit on my account in cash and pay the account off at the end. I've never left a credit card so I guess that would solve the whole end of the cruise exchange rate issue...Should I recommend to others in my group to pay off their accounts in us cash instead of using the credit card?quote]

It seems to be a hit and miss with Princess. Some people have reported having no problems once they check off that they do not want the conversion and some still have the problem. The last time we were on Princess, my folio was not converted but my husband's was, so go figure.

If your friends are more comfortable using their credit card (might not want to carry a lot of cash around ), I would suggest they try using their credit card and see what happens. I am going to go to the purser's desk on the last night of the cruise and verify that they see my checkmark and see if that helps. Perhaps your friends can do the same. Good luck to all of us!

I agree its only Princess pulling this scam to anyone who is not a USA citizen

The only way to beat them over the onboard charges crap is to go down to the pursers desk the evening before departure and get them to do a MANUAL US Dollar charge to your credit card

Its crazy I know and I see no reason why we should but if thats the only way to beat them so be it ........maybe one day they will learn to treat non USA folk correctly

Carnival Corporation and Carnival plc (formerly known

as P&O Princess Cruises plc or "P&O Princess") completed a dual listed company ("DLC") transaction (April 17, 2003), which implemented Carnival Corporation & plc's DLC structure. Carnival Corporation and Carnival plc are both public companies, with separate stock exchange listings and their own shareholders. For more information you can read the Carnival 10-K filed with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission.

Carnival Corporation is incorporated in the Republic of Panama and Carnival plc is incorporated in England and Wales.

So, I guess that the bottom line is, these two non-US companies (one in Panama and one in England and Wales), are having difficulties in transacting business in different currencies and/or different credit cards.

It appears to me that Princess has made on adjustment with regards to their online prices. Price in USD is listed $999.00..... @ rate of 1.15 = $1148.85CAD... which is exactly what their online prices are showing. However this wasn't the case 2-6weeks ago when the rate was @ 1.25!

We booked through a TA and will pay in CDN funds but that doesn't mean I'll stop checking for price changes!

We have always received favorable exchange rates on our Mastercard in the past with a previous cruise line so thanks for the heads up on Princess's policy. We will be sure to keep an eye out for it!

cdncruzer, can I ask where you saw that? was it directly on princess.com site? I'll check today...but the cabin I want was listed at 1782 US (about 2030 ish with current rate) and 2228 Cad.

Maybe cdncruzer was looking at a 2007 cruise? That's what they've posted the 2007 exchange at?

I booked my upcoming trip with an online TA. We're flying out of DC, so we're paying in US Dollars. If we weren't flying out of the States, I would have booked my own air and done the cruise only in US Dollars. We will definitely be checking the little box!

Just so you know, we're heading off on an RCI cruise next week and on the SetSail Pass it has the following:

For Non-US issued MasterCard or Visa Card Holders. If you use a MasterCard or Visa Card issued outside of the United States and one which is billed to any of the following currencies: AUD, CAD, CHF, DKK, EUR, GBP, HKD, JPY, MXP, NOK, SEK, the full amount of the charge will be converted to the currency of the card by our conversion agent at the exchange rate in effect at the time the amounts are charged to your account and a currency conversion charge will be billed to your account. If you opt out of using our conversion agent, the issuer of your card may still charge you a service fee for currency conversion. Choice of currency is final. If you do not wish Royal Caribbean International to convert your charges to the currency of your card's billing as described above, please check here ______.

Good luck getting this sorted out. It's very frustrating, especially as we've been so used to getting beat up on the exchange for so many years, and finally it's so much better and we want to reap the benefits.

So, I guess that the bottom line is, these two non-US companies (one in Panama and one in England and Wales), are having difficulties in transacting business in different currencies and/or different credit cards.

As far as I know, Carnival does not have this conversion to country of residency. I was last on a Carnival cruise January 2005 and did not have this problem. It was only on my 2 Princess cruises in May ( first time on Princess ) and September that I realized that Princess uses a different policy than other cruiselines. Even though Princess is under the Carnival Corp., to my knowledge Carnival has not adopted the same policy as Princess. I think Princess was doing this before they came under Carnival Corp.

Why should it matter to them where you are flying from. What if you were driving to Florida, which we have done in the past from Ontario. I totally disagree with Princess on this disgusting practice. Seems like this is just another way of slapping us Canadians in the face. Well hope this doesn't ruin your trip. Can we come with you?

Groovymom, I can feel the sting....of course youandallyourfriends can join the 4ofusandallourfriends. By the way, I hear your sister is a great gal!

Archived