New ArriveCAN

ByThePond

DW and I had previously registered our NEXUS cards as our travel documents in ArriveCAN. That is no longer acceptable with the latest revision of the app. In order to use the Advance CBSA Declaration, the traveller "Must be using a Passport or Canadian Permanent Resident Card as their travel document".  

A NEXUS member wishing to declare a purchase in excess of the allowable exemption "must do so verbally, to an officer, at a clearly marked area in the customs hall after using the kiosk or eGate." Hopefully, as the CBSA in more Canadian airports comes online with the Advance CBSA Declaration, the ArriveCAN and NEXUS automated systems will be integrated and allow all travellers to use the app to submit their declarations.

I was flying home from Las Vegas last night and I had already filled out the old arriveCAN. Then when we landed in Pearson I opened the app and it prompted me to update it. All my info must have still been saved because all it did was display a code comprised of numbers and letters. No one ever asked to see it however we breezed through customs so I suspect it helps.

1 hour ago, Magicat said:

Do you still need to input your declaration on those machines in the customs hall?  If so and this app does not save any time then I will be deleting it. 

We had to use those machines but all we did was scan our passports and then let it take our photo before it printed out a receipt. It didn’t ask us if we were bringing back commercial goods or if we had visited a farm or any of that stuff because we already answered those questions on the app. 

We found the Advance CBSA Declaration feature easy to use and as mentioned, upon arrival in Canada, we had to scan our passports, take a photo, were asked a few questions at the kiosk e.g., anything changed from your submission and then printed out a receipt. We showed the receipt to CBSA official who looked at it, took it and away we were to the luggage pick-up.  It was easy and streamlined our experience  at YVR and will continue to use via the (optional) ArriveCAN app.

• Like 3