Venice and Ravenna hotel recommendations

2catsand2kids

Myself, my husband and two children (12 and 10) will be cruising (1st time ever) from Ravenna next May. We are planning on spending two nights in Venice before the cruise then getting the train to Ravenna and spending one night there before we cruise on the Sunday. Does anyone have any recommendations for pleasant hotels in Venice and/or Ravenna that would be suitable for a family of four and aren’t eye wateringly expensive. Thank you. 

On 10/2/2022 at 1:32 AM, 2catsand2kids said:

Myself, my husband and two children (12 and 10) will be cruising (1st time ever) from Ravenna next May. We are planning on spending two nights in Venice before the cruise then getting the train to Ravenna and spending one night there before we cruise on the Sunday. Does anyone have any recommendations for pleasant hotels in Venice and/or Ravenna that would be suitable for a family of four and aren’t eye wateringly expensive. Thank you. 

We stayed at Hotel Arlecchino for 3 nights and it was a nice hotel.  Clean & great staff, with breakfast included.  We did the prepay 14 days in advance for a better price.  There's an airport bus that's a non stop to Piazzale Roma & the hotel is a short walk from that stop.  I bought our tickets (2) online prior to leaving the US and it was 20 EUR for 2.  You can find the bus info for tickets on ATVO.it  Also I'd advise you buy the Valparetto water taxi prior to leaving.  You can buy 1, 2, 3 day unlimited passes and it's the best way to see the city & lots cheaper than paying for each time you ride.  Your time doesn't start until you activate the pass at a machine the first time you ride.  Have fun!!

• Thanks 1

If you can easily manage your luggage you can stay anywhere in Venice.  If you can't, it might be easier to stay near the Piazzale Roma area which is the last point of land travel in Venice; where buses, taxis and cars drop off their pax.  There are 4 or 5 hotels right on the Square, and 4 or 5 more within a couple of blocks and over a small bridge.  You pay for the convenience though.

Venice Hotel Directions: Piazzale Roma | Venice for Visitors (europeforvisitors.com)

If you stay 3 nights in Venice, you can get an apt, which will be more reasonably priced. And it's nice to have a small kitchen for snacks, drinks, etc when you've got kids. The owners of the Pensione Guerrato, which is near the Rialto Market, also own 3 apts.  I've stayed at each, depending on how many family I'm travelling with. The smallest one sleeps 4 and is around 200E per night.  The Piccolo is about halfway between the Rialto Bridge and St Marks so very convenient for sightseeing  .Piccolo Guerrato ~ Pensione Guerrato (hotelguerrato.com)

If you really want to economize, you can stay in Mestre, which is the last city on the mainland before crossing the bridge into Venice.  There are a few large hotels with all the amenities right across from the Mestre train station, Best Western Bologna, Plaza, Tritone. You can take the train or bus into Venice in about 15 minutes.  And with a day pass, the train or bus into Venice are included in the pass. It's not as convenient as staying IN Venice, esp if you want to return to your room for any reason during the day, but the hotels are half the price!   And very convenient for catching the train to Ravenna ( I stayed in Mestre last week before heading to Trieste for our cruise. ) 

Hotels near Venezia Mestre Railroad Station | Venice for Visitors (europeforvisitors.com)

Good luck !

Edited by mapleleaves
  • Thanks 1

On 10/2/2022 at 11:32 AM, 2catsand2kids said:

Does anyone have any recommendations for pleasant hotels in Venice

We stayed at the Fontana hotel, excellent location, and easily accessed via the Alilaguna Blu line from the Marco Polo airport. No stairs or bridges involved, a mere 3 mins from San Zaccaria stop. Highly recommended.

https://www.hotelfontana.it/en/

https://www.alilaguna.it/en/lines/linea-blu

• Thanks 1