Internet upgrade: Is it worth it?

TampaGambler

57 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

I don't know how iPhones works. I stay away from those things. I know that my Samsung Android phone received text messages when Airplane mode is turned on, but when I do have Wi-Fi on (even when not connected to the ship's Wi-Fi in the middle of the ocean). I suppose iPhones could be different, but I'd be surprised if they are.

iMessage (which is what the person was inquiring about) is an Apple program.  I supposed there could be a version for other phones. 

When you turn on APM on an iPhone, all communications turn off by default.

Thank you for responding without being smug and insulting, like that other guy.  Ugh my ignore pile is getting ENORMOUS.

Airplane mode works just fine with with both wifi and bluetooth turned on.

I'm not sure why there is any dispute over this.

Screen shot of phone in Airplane mode with wifi and bluetooth on.

IMG_0005.thumb.PNG.9ac2af44d99e798abbb2bd46c2f6f036.PNG

Video of turning airplane mode on.  Note wifi and bluetooth remain on and can be turned off and on manually.

Edited by Tree_skier

5 minutes ago, Tree_skier said:

IMG_0005.thumb.PNG.9ac2af44d99e798abbb2bd46c2f6f036.PNG

Video of turning airplane mode on.  Note wifi and bluetooth remain on and can be turned off and on manually.

Welcome to the tech genius club!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Tree_skier said:

What is even the purpose of Airplane Mode, if not to block cellular and wifi data so airline pilots don't have to worry about their communications being disrupted?!

If you want to further explain to the person who asked the question I was answering that:  "you should keep your phone in Airplane Mode to prevent roaming charges but remember to re-engage whatever you need to receive messages" then do that.

But people who can't shut up about this need to stop acting like I invented Airplane Mode, and now it's yawz responsibility to explain to me that it doesn't work.

7 hours ago, MotownVoice said:

What is even the purpose of Airplane Mode, if not to block cellular and wifi data so airline pilots don't have to worry about their communications being disrupted?!

If you want to further explain to the person who asked the question I was answering that:  "you should keep your phone in Airplane Mode to prevent roaming charges but remember to re-engage whatever you need to receive messages" then do that.

But people who can't shut up about this need to stop acting like I invented Airplane Mode, and now it's yawz responsibility to explain to me that it doesn't work.

At the risk of getting bashed . . .

On iPhones, APM used to turn off all radios and you could then selectively turn them back on. However, since its primary use on an airplane is to disable the cellular radio (that's the only concern to a pilot as WiFi and Bluetooth are actively used by passengers and crew alike), at some point Apple changed the default to turning off only the cellular radio. WiFi, Bluetooth, NFC, and GPS radios all stay on by default now.

You need either cellular or wifi for iMessage and other messaging apps to work. You need cellular for SMS.

6 minutes ago, grobma said:

At the risk of getting bashed . . .

On iPhones, APM used to turn off all radios and you could then selectively turn them back on. However, since its primary use on an airplane is to disable the cellular radio (that's the only concern to a pilot as WiFi and Bluetooth are actively used by passengers and crew alike), at some point Apple changed the default to turning off only the cellular radio. WiFi, Bluetooth, NFC, and GPS radios all stay on by default now.

You need either cellular or wifi for iMessage and other messaging apps to work. You need cellular for SMS.

I don’t have a problem with someone just offering a counterpoint!  And you did it without making it personal.  

You did great!   

Just one last point, when I switched my iPhone 13 to APM wifi, bluetooth and cell all turn off.  

Edited by MotownVoice

4 minutes ago, MotownVoice said:

Just one last point, when I switched my iPhone 13 to APM wifi, bluetooth and cell all turn off.  

I believe it may just remember settings. For example - if you turn APM on, then turn WiFi on, then turn APM off - the next time you turn APM on, WiFi will stay on. Same for Bluetooth. I believe NFC and GPS radios can only be turned off in Settings.

If you have never turned on any of the other radios while in APM, then APM will continue to turn them all off.

I should have clarified above that the change Apple made was not necessarily to turn only cellular off, but that it now remembers settings. That's the way it works for me, because when in APM, I only have cellular turned off (WiFi and Bluetooth remain on), and it remembers that setting.

Hope that's helpful and not too confusing.

• Like 1

On 10/2/2022 at 10:11 PM, TampaGambler said:

We are staying in the haven and have the internet package, we don’t need to steam anything but may need to look up something for our business on the computer or receive text messages, will the upgraded interest be fine? Should we upgrade all the way up to premium? 

You should not need to upgrade at all.  Log out completely after you finish using the net each time and you will be good to go.

• Like 1