Starlink on Beyond, a disappointment.

Dk-cruiser

1 hour ago, HMR74 said:

The question is, why does the beyonds starlink upgraded package work well and Oasis it does not.

is that corporate saying do not allow hi speeds.on certain sips.

Again it is not just the speeds it is the bandwith. Beyond is new so the backend is likely the newest and latest. They probably have not done any upgrade of the backend on Oasis and my experience with Royal/Celebrity is that they have not upgraded the backends. They will still advertise it as Voom or Xcelerate and charge the same prices for lower quality service. 

2 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

I think I missed the edict that stated everyone has to have the same priorities. Could you please point me to it?

Sure I get that grandma is on the hospital.  Or work wants you to fill out that spreadsheet.

It’s just a bit jarring when someone says “snorkeling is great but damn I can’t post my YouTube video”.It’s not the end of the world.

What speed is Starlink SUPPOSED to be?

2 hours ago, HMR74 said:

Remember dial up. Back in the days where graphics was a concept .

i used a ti-745 for corporate banking.

i rechecked to see thati had zoom and surf. I do.

we do have 6500 on board however, whether 4500 or 6500 one should be able to load webpages in a reasonable time. Not get timed out.

went to coco cay today, 2 mps. Sending texts to family on ship are difficult.

Maybe if you people remembered what the telegraph was like, we might all have a sense of perspective.

We have people young and old who can’t even drive without looking at their phones.  I know.  I’ve seen them while I was in my self driving car.

8 minutes ago, zitsky said:

Sure I get that grandma is on the hospital.  Or work wants you to fill out that spreadsheet.

It’s just a bit jarring when someone says “snorkeling is great but damn I can’t post my YouTube video”.It’s not the end of the world.

What speed is Starlink SUPPOSED to be?

Here is a new piece of info-today ois coco cay day, and 6000 of the 6500 on board are there.

I left at 1 PM not wanting to fry further in 93 degree hot sun.

The speed there was  2 MPS: got nothog  -speed on board while "dining" not to be confused with X's "dining", was 9 however and this gives substance to the bandwidth issue which is what the cruiseline purchases per cruise, the speed to load  was unmatched by anything of the entire week.

The apparent solution might have always been more bandwidth purchased by cruise line.

KISS method; I paid up to get faster downloads, as have many others,  and I have not received that all week except when most everybody is off ship. It is still starlink. and it tells me  RCL underestimated what 6500 people need or want or desire to have.

Mine is I have to use internet for a short perios of time whichbecomes a long period of time if its not right. I bet I am not the only one.

Now, is X more generous in buying bandwidth than Royal?

It is fixable and its simple to fix.

9 minutes ago, zitsky said:

Maybe if you people remembered what the telegraph was like, we might all have a sense of perspective.

We have people young and old who can’t even drive without looking at their phones.  I know.  I’ve seen them while I was in my self driving car.

funny guy-I remember telegrams-and I remember party lines, and when my grandparents flew to florida for the winter and called collect asking for a different name  we all knew they arrived and did not have to pay for the call. SOP for the 1950's.

It is mind blowing what we can do now

Good Lord willing we will meet onboard in May. Should be interesting.

Edited by HMR74

4 minutes ago, HMR74 said:

funny guy-I remember telegrams-and I remember party lines, and when my grandparents flew to floriday for thewinter and called collect asking for a different name and we all knew they arrived and did nto have to pay for the call.

It is mind blowing what we can do now

Good Lord willing we will meet onboard in May.

Will that “meeting” involve a leather belt and a woodshed?

Do people understand that there are not 6,000 satellites dedicated to one cruise ship?  That it is a shared resource?  Do you all get angry when you get on the highway and see other cars there?

38 minutes ago, HMR74 said:

Mine is I have to use internet for a short perios of time whichbecomes a long period of time if its not right. I bet I am not the only one.

Now, is X more generous in buying bandwidth than Royal?

I alluded to this in a previous post. Beyond being newer is likely to have greater. bandwidth. Even with upgraded satellites the backend has not been upgraded on older vessels. I always had better internet on Solstace class ships than Millenium Class even after they switched to lower orbit satellites.Backend infrastucture effects bandwidth. The routers may be on an older standard. Does Celebrity buy more bandwidth, maybe. I don't know about currenty but premium internet packages when I used to sail a lot Royal for were about 1/3 the price of Celebrity packages. I would say pay $80 for a week on Royal and $240 a week on Celebrity before my loyalty discounts lowered the price. So maybe you get what you pay for?

Edited by Charles4515
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, zitsky said:

Will that “meeting” involve a leather belt and a woodshed?

Do people understand that there are not 6,000 satellites dedicated to one cruise ship?  That it is a shared resource?  Do you all get angry when you get on the highway and see other cars there?

Did the cruise line realize the whole satellite situation when they told the world how great it would be so they could charge $35 a day? 

2 minutes ago, grandgeezer said:

Did the cruise line realize the whole satellite situation when they told the world how great it would be so they could charge $35 a day? 

What is the price for internet on non Starlink ships?

In my limited experience it seems that X explains what you can expect from basic or upgraded internet.  Does X in their marketing promise a specific bandwidth, always available?

7 minutes ago, grandgeezer said:

Celebrity was charging about $35 a day for premium internet before Starlink. Are they charging more than that for Starlink?

Just now, Charles4515 said:

Celebrity was charging about $35 a day for premium internet before Starlink. Are they charging more than that for Starlink?

Whatever it is, Celebrity has to recoup their investment.  And not everyone wants internet on vacation.  So they can’t charge everyone an internet fee.

47 minutes ago, zitsky said:

Whatever it is, Celebrity has to recoup their investment.  And not everyone wants internet on vacation.  So they can’t charge everyone an internet fee.

Well they try to charge everyone with their all inclusive pricing. I always try to find a way to book without all inclusive pricing  because I don't drink much, (average beverage  bill $40) . 

2 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

Well they try to charge everyone with their all inclusive pricing. I always try to find a way to book without all inclusive pricing  because I don't drink much, (average beverage  bill $40) . 

Maybe it’s new but now they have cruise only.  I’m sure you know about it.

This is like going to a car dealer and saying “your price is too high and you don’t include lifetime car washes and free Sirius XM.  Also, I want to pay for a car without seats.”

By all means, give Lisa feedback.  I just think we have to be understanding that the tech isn’t perfect yet.

16 minutes ago, zitsky said:

This is like going to a car dealer and saying “your price is too high and you don’t include lifetime car washes and free Sirius XM.  Also, I want to pay for a car without seats.”

By all means, give Lisa feedback.  I just think we have to be understanding that the tech isn’t perfect yet.

I don't expect to pay high prices for trash. I don't know if it is trash as I have not experienced the Starlink service but the old service was overpriced for what we got. Since they have a monopoly on the service if we want internet we have to pay.  Compare that $35 a day service to the 1 gigabyte service I get at home which costs me $49 a month. or my mobile service which is unlimited 5G speeds which is under $100 a month. And as I mentioned they have charged $80 a week on RCCL versus $240 on Celebrity. 

30 minutes ago, zitsky said:

What’s wrong with negotiating a better deal from any supplier? The comparison to car dealer is just silly, especially the comment about the seats.

I agree, tech isn’t perfect but the price they are charging now says they think it is, and that’s per computer, tablet, or whatever you use. 
Currently, at home I pay $2.33 per day for 600 mbs. This includes all taxes, router and modem rental. We have two laptops, four iPads, two tvs for streaming movies, and four Amazon Echo products hooked up to it with 0 problems of any kind.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, grandgeezer said:

What’s wrong with negotiating a better deal from any supplier? The comparison to car dealer is just silly, especially the comment about the seats.

I thought everyone negotiated with car dealers. At least before covid anyway. I made them remove stuff I did not want. It had a roof rack for example. A few other things they had added I did not need. They knocked the price of that stuff off. They didn't actually remove them as they wanted to move the car on their lot but they took the invoice price off for those options. I sure did not pay sticker price. 

Edited by Charles4515

11 hours ago, zitsky said:

Does X publish anywhere what the speed will be?  I lived at home with 6 Mbps for years and I could send emails.  And watch video.  But I wasn’t sharing that connection with 2,000 people.

If a 5 year old is screaming about slow internet, what else does he scream about?

Zitsky, every now and again I totally agree with you!!  🙂

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, zitsky said:

Probably a good idea, if sending Lisa a piece of one's mind, that her last name be spelled correctly:  Lutoff-Perlo.  🙂

19 minutes ago, SusieAV8R said:

Probably a good idea, if sending Lisa a piece of one's mind, that her last name be spelled correctly:  Lutoff-Perlo.  🙂

Have to get the spelling in email address correct.

Starlink charges something like 140 a month plus you pay for the equipment. motor homes, trucks it's probably worth it.

we do not stream much when we are on ship but when we want to we do not want buffering and I do not like downloading a 1 hour program that takes 2 hours to download if it completes. Showed that problem of not completlng to the guys in ilounge on Eclipse 3 years ago.

on a longer cruise where entertainmnet is repetitive, we might  "order in" dinner and watch a show -in late 2019 we binge watched the Jack Ryan Amazon series by downloading before the cruise. Just needed a change of pace. This cruise intended to watch new season of Yellowstone--too busy on cruise.

Nice thing is everybody is different, eg chocolate, vanilla and strawberry and 31 flavors.

3 minutes ago, HMR74 said:

Have to get the spelling in email address correct.

Starlink charges something like 140 a month plus you pay for the equipment. motor homes, trucks it's probably worth it.

we do not stream much when we are on ship but when we want to we do not want buffering and I do not like downloading a 1 hour program that takes 2 hours to download if it completes. Showed that problem of not completlng to the guys in ilounge on Eclipse 3 years ago.

on a longer cruise where entertainmnet is repetitive, we might  "order in" dinner and watch a show -in late 2019 we binge watched the Jack Ryan Amazon series by downloading before the cruise. Just needed a change of pace. This cruise intended to watch new season of Yellowstone--too busy on cruise.

Nice thing is everybody is different, eg chocolate, vanilla and strawberry and 31 flavors.

There is no fibre optic connecting ship to shore.  Folks expecting to enjoy the same connectivity on a ship as one experiences at home is unrealistic. Marine Starlink is 350 Mbs according to the internet.  Our home fiber optic connectivity is 1 Gbs over fiber optic cable:  3X as much. You might also want to remember Starlink is still deploying and has been seriously stressed by providing FREE internet connectivity to the Ukraine.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

I don't expect to pay high prices for trash. I don't know if it is trash as I have not experienced the Starlink service but the old service was overpriced for what we got. Since they have a monopoly on the service if we want internet we have to pay.  Compare that $35 a day service to the 1 gigabyte service I get at home which costs me $49 a month. or my mobile service which is unlimited 5G speeds which is under $100 a month. And as I mentioned they have charged $80 a week on RCCL versus $240 on Celebrity. 

“If we want internet we have to pay.”

And it should be super fast and $1 per day!

1 hour ago, zitsky said:

“If we want internet we have to pay.”

And it should be super fast and $1 per day!

Only you should have to pay since you seem to be willing to accept and pay for any crap that the cruise lines shovel at you. When I have had crappy internet onboard I have negotiated the charges down or removed.  

7 hours ago, SusieAV8R said:

There is no fibre optic connecting ship to shore.  Folks expecting to enjoy the same connectivity on a ship as one experiences at home is unrealistic. Marine Starlink is 350 Mbs according to the internet.  Our home fiber optic connectivity is 1 Gbs over fiber optic cable:  3X as much. You might also want to remember Starlink is still deploying and has been seriously stressed by providing FREE internet connectivity to the Ukraine.

Duh. Of course it’s not like land.

what I am saying is rck corporate sells a surf and stream package and streaming is iffy. I actually recorded a live segment with all the buffering.

9 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

Only you should have to pay since you seem to be willing to accept and pay for any crap that the cruise lines shovel at you. When I have had crappy internet onboard I have negotiated the charges down or removed.  

So there was a problem and you received a discount?  

I just don’t expect any technology to be perfect.  

On 10/3/2022 at 5:24 PM, sptrout said:

As has been reported the past couple weeks, Starlink is having capacity problems even for land customers. They need a lot more satellites to correct capacity problems. Until they increase the number of satellites they will continue to have problems. I am surprised that RCG did not check these kinds of possible problems out before jumping in to a company wide change. It could be a long time before Starlink can correct capacity problems. I hope that RCG waits before converting anymore ships.

RCCL has said all the ships will be converted by the end of the first quarter 2023 which coincides with the planned deployment of thousands more Starlink satellites to improve the coverage and fill in the wide gaps in their coverage right now.

https://paxex.aero/starlink-inter-satellite-links/

I know in Europe their coverage is not as good as the Caribbean yet..  It's interesting to hear Celebrity is offering Basic and Premium internet options. On our Symphony of the Seas sailing in a few weeks, there's only one option, Voom + Surf. They've eliminated the 'basic' option and the price of the Voom+Surf has not changed. 

• Like 1