FYI: recent passport renewal turnaround with expedited processing

Sea Hag

People ask about this from time to time, so I thought I would share my experience.  I sent off the renewal for expedited processing on Thursday, 9/15/22, USPS priority 2 to 3 days. They received it on Monday, 9/19/22. I got a notification on Tuesday of this week that it had been approved and was being printed. I had it in the mail today. I paid for priority mail return. Happy camper here.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, beg3yrs said:

It's possible coo359a2 needs to use it between now and 5 Dec...

Good guess😁. We leave 26 October and return 2 December. Passport doesn’t expire until 23 November 2023 but need it renewed before our June/July  cruise to meet the “good for  6 months after end of cruise” requirement. Up till this post, heard about the long time for processing renewals so had planned On expediting the renewal .  Might rethink that if processing time  gets better. 

8 hours ago, Sea Hag said:

People ask about this from time to time, so I thought I would share my experience.  I sent off the renewal for expedited processing on Thursday, 9/15/22, USPS priority 2 to 3 days. They received it on Monday, 9/19/22. I got a notification on Tuesday of this week that it had been approved and was being printed. I had it in the mail today. I paid for priority mail return. Happy camper here.

Appreciate the heads up!  Hopefully, we will be able to renew electronically instead of paper mail in 2023. 
We’ll see.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, PacnGoNow said:

Appreciate the heads up!  Hopefully, we will be able to renew electronically instead of paper mail in 2023. 
We’ll see.

You should be able to do it online. They ran a pilot program that ended a couple of weeks before I needed to get moving on things. I dithered around a bit on whether to hold off, since they said it would be back sometime this Fall. Decided it was safer to just get things rolling. Then they opened online renewals again a couple of weeks after I sent mine in. 

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Sea Hag said:

You should be able to do it online. They ran a pilot program that ended a couple of weeks before I needed to get moving on things. I dithered around a bit on whether to hold off, since they said it would be back sometime this Fall. Decided it was safer to just get things rolling. Then they opened online renewals again a couple of weeks after I sent mine in. 

It is still a pilot program for the month of Oct.  Don't know what it will be for Dec.  When I was checking out the rules for  online processing, it said that the  processing time was going to be the same as if you were  processing through the mail.  Course there would not be postage if doing it online.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just did mine - expedited. Took a little less than three weeks. Meant to write - I just did my 13-year-old daughter's. Had to appear, send in the paperwork, etc., and it only took three weeks before she received her new one.

Edited by ChutChut
  • Like 2