Get your name fully right when making reservation - or else.

JDBRANDT17042

12 minutes ago, workingmom200112 said:

So making sure names are correct maybe only half the battle.  I looked up on the TSA website, and found that "jr" is an acceptable deviation in name & ID - so hopefully no problems.  We will find out in 28 days.  Wish me luck all!  

As I stated in my recent post, I have that problem with my double first name showing up as a first name, middle name on boarding passes (correctly entered when making the reservation and the way it shows up if the reservation is pulled up). TSA never made an issue of it when they were  checking boarding passes at the entrance to security. They acknowledged it was an IT programing error for the boarding pass on the airline's end.

My picture ID (driver's license or passport) is correct.

• Like 1

On 10/10/2022 at 12:34 AM, julig22 said:

First of all, quite a bit has changed in 3 decades.  Per what I have read, TSA requires information from the airline (circa 2009) that matches your official id. You may not have to "use" your middle name to make a reservation and it doesn't have to appear on your ticket but that doesn't mean that the airline doesn't have the information available to provide to TSA. 

You said in your earlier post " the information given to the airline MUST match your travel documents".  That is untrue.  We have never "given" the airline anything other than our first and last names.  That has been true for the entire 3+ decades we have been flying.  In thsi post you are changing your story... 🙂

4 minutes ago, MoCruiseFan said:

You said in your earlier post " the information given to the airline MUST match your travel documents".  That is untrue.  We have never "given" the airline anything other than our first and last names.  That has been true for the entire 3+ decades we have been flying.  In thsi post you are changing your story... 🙂

If you've ever traveled internationally then the TSA has your info, whether or not you think you've never given it to them.  Did not change my story, I unfortunately used language from another source.  Please move on.

• 7 months later...

I have a question here.  While booking NCL never asked for my friend’s middle name so his travel document has the middle name but it’s not on the boarding docs.  Do I need to call and make this change? 

2 hours ago, SEKH92 said:

I have a question here.  While booking NCL never asked for my friend’s middle name so his travel document has the middle name but it’s not on the boarding docs.  Do I need to call and make this change? 

Yes, although it might be your friend who has to be the one to call to do it. But it has to be called in to be changed.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Ellis1138 said:

Yes, although it might be your friend who has to be the one to call to do it. But it has to be called in to be changed.

Yeah, that's a(nother) strange thing.  NCL doesn't have a field in your profile UI, but they do within their system.  It was a phone agent who asked for my middle name, and it now (correctly) shows up on all invoices, eDocs, check-in screens, etc.  Since this thread started, I've learned that Southwest Airlines is the same way.  I can input my middle name when making a new reservation, but I can't add it online to my profile.  I can however message them and have them add it so it shows up by default for all future activities.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

Yeah, that's a(nother) strange thing.  NCL doesn't have a field in your profile UI, but they do within their system.  It was a phone agent who asked for my middle name, and it now (correctly) shows up on all invoices, eDocs, check-in screens, etc.  Since this thread started, I've learned that Southwest Airlines is the same way.  I can input my middle name when making a new reservation, but I can't add it online to my profile.  I can however message them and have them add it so it shows up by default for all future activities.

Yup!! Just glad I noticed before our trip 

On 10/9/2022 at 11:57 PM, CruizinSusan70 said:

If you have a passport and a Global Entry card, isn't a Real ID an unnecessary luxury?

If you can find it in your backpack/purse quickly enough as you approach TSA.  Had that happen where I couldn't find the passport when I was in that  line (I had used the passport at the airline counter, and couldn't remember which pocket of the backpack I'd put it in).  Rather that totally panic, I just whipped out the REAL ID compliant drivers license and went through without causing problems.

Then again, I'm one of those semi-Luddites that prints out a paper boarding pass to go along with the version on the cellphone.

• Like 1

So, if one is booking a cruise on NCL without using NCL air then the middle name doesn’t matter if I understand correctly.

I just booked a cruise with a travel agent who claimed the middle name was not necessary. This goes against everything I have been told in the past.

26 minutes ago, SEKH92 said:

I figured it just wasn’t worth the hassle and changed the name.  Better safe than sorry I figured 

That's what I finally did.  I've flown and sailed for decades with middle initial, or nothing, without any issues.  All domestic.  Since I now have Passport, enhanced drivers license and TSA precheck with my complete name, I worked with NCL and Southwest Airlines to ensure that everything matched.  When I need to fly another airline or sail another cruiseline, I'll do the same.

My husband has a middle name that (thanks to immigrant parents) is 12 letters long and unpronounceable to most people.  Airlines generally cut off the last few letters even though I input them correctly.  His  passport, global entry and enhanced drivers license include the full spelling.  My impression is that this is only an issue on international flights but we have been all over with the "chopped off" middle name without an issue.

On 10/12/2022 at 3:00 AM, MoCruiseFan said:

I take it you have not flown into Australia or China (and a few other countries) in the last few years.   I work for an international airline.  When we transmit APD before flight departure these countries refuse admittance if the passport name doesn't exactly match the ticket.  The passport name is captured automatically on swiping at check in.  At one point it was so bad I stationed an agent at entrance to our check in to double check and if necessary sent them to the ticket desk for a reissue which prevented bottle necks at check in with incorrect documentation. 

On 10/10/2022 at 9:57 AM, Homosassa said:

On the other hand, I just made a round trip on Southwest this past weekend. 

I correctly put my name in the system (double first name, no middle name).  My boarding passes were incorrect as they split my name into first and middle names.

Sigh. I didn't make an issue of it at the Southwest counter.

As a fellow two-word first name, no middle, I have been fighting the fight for 70+ years. I’ve had problems with passports, social security, etc. mothers, don’t do that to your babies. LOL

19 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

My husband was smart. When he took my last name, he dropped his very long foreign middle name. It makes life, for him, much easier! I still have the very long, common American middle name that is chopped off. 

My last name is only two letters but people always insist on adding more letters to the name.

• Haha 1

When i got my first passport years ago i didn't know what to use as a middle name - my birth certificate middle name or my maiden name that is on other documents like my drivers license. I sent the application without filling in a middle name and my passport was issued with first and last name only. Its  made life a lot simpler to just consistently use those two names.

• Like 1