Honolulu Pre-Cruise

ULCajunCruiser

We will be on POA next October and will be arriving in Honolulu 2 days before we embark (arriving Thursday, embarking Saturday.  Kinda think Thursday is only a travel day, but we should have half a day on Saturday).   I have done a little research and know we are interested in visiting Pearl Harbor, Diamond Head and a Pineapple Plantation.  We will also be doing a Luau on Friday night.

My question, will it be possible to see all this??  If so in what order would you do it??  Any recommendations on tours and/or transfers??  Am I missing something that I need to squeeze in???

TIA

4 hours ago, ULCajunCruiser said:

I have done a little research and know we are interested in visiting Pearl Harbor, Diamond Head and a Pineapple Plantation.  We will also be doing a Luau on Friday night.

My question, will it be possible to see all this??  If so in what order would you do it??  Any recommendations on tours and/or transfers??

I mean you could do all that but you have a lot on your plate. Where did you book the luau? That might help us in terms of figuring out order. Also the area where you are staying might be helpful. 

Diamond Head you will need a reservation to go to so make sure you do that. The hike takes between 1.5-2 hours round trip (assuming you go right up and right down). 

You can make a day of Pearl Harbor and visit the USS Missouri/Bowfin and assorted museums or you can do the essentials like the USS Arizona Memorial. If you've toured one of the other Iowa Class battleships before you can skip the Missouri and save time. Reservations are essential for the USS Arizona Memorial as the boats that take you there are Navy run. You'll get a timed entry time. 

Frankly I would skip the pineapple plantation unless you really are passionate about pineapples. It's very touristy and consists mainly of a miniature train and some gardens. The plantation is about a 45 minute ride out of Honolulu (without traffic) each way. You would most likely just have to rent a car for this. 

In terms of transfers we just use Uber or Lyft in Honolulu like you would in any major city-- super easy and generally cost effective to alternatives. Renting a car can get pricey as parking, especially in Waikiki, is very expensive and there is a ton of traffic. 

4 hours ago, ULCajunCruiser said:

Am I missing something that I need to squeeze in???

You're not missing anything but I fear you are trying to do too much in a short period of time. There's also a bunch of great dining in Honolulu you should check out to see if anything is of interest (luau's are not generally known for their food quality).

But just take some time to just relax, sit on the beach, grab a Mai Tai, and embrace the aloha spirit! 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, princeton123211 said:

I mean you could do all that but you have a lot on your plate. Where did you book the luau? That might help us in terms of figuring out order. Also the area where you are staying might be helpful. 

Diamond Head you will need a reservation to go to so make sure you do that. The hike takes between 1.5-2 hours round trip (assuming you go right up and right down). 

You can make a day of Pearl Harbor and visit the USS Missouri/Bowfin and assorted museums or you can do the essentials like the USS Arizona Memorial. If you've toured one of the other Iowa Class battleships before you can skip the Missouri and save time. Reservations are essential for the USS Arizona Memorial as the boats that take you there are Navy run. You'll get a timed entry time. 

Frankly I would skip the pineapple plantation unless you really are passionate about pineapples. It's very touristy and consists mainly of a miniature train and some gardens. The plantation is about a 45 minute ride out of Honolulu (without traffic) each way. You would most likely just have to rent a car for this. 

In terms of transfers we just use Uber or Lyft in Honolulu like you would in any major city-- super easy and generally cost effective to alternatives. Renting a car can get pricey as parking, especially in Waikiki, is very expensive and there is a ton of traffic. 

You're not missing anything but I fear you are trying to do too much in a short period of time. There's also a bunch of great dining in Honolulu you should check out to see if anything is of interest (luau's are not generally known for their food quality).

But just take some time to just relax, sit on the beach, grab a Mai Tai, and embrace the aloha spirit! 

Thank you very much, I appreciate your feedback.   I was really concerned about trying to do too much!!.   We are 8 people, so Uber and Lyft are tough??

We are staying at the Princess Waikiki.   We have not booked the Luau yet, but are leaning towards Ka Moana Luau.  

18 minutes ago, ULCajunCruiser said:

We are 8 people, so Uber and Lyft are tough??

For Pearl Harbor just get two of them. They will also have traditional cabs in front of most major hotels. But coming back from Pearl Uber/Lyft will get you a ride faster. 

19 minutes ago, ULCajunCruiser said:

We are staying at the Princess Waikiki.   We have not booked the Luau yet, but are leaning towards Ka Moana Luau.

That's another half hour each way in the other direction of the pineapple plantation. If you did one or both of those things you'll be best off renting a car.

I don't do many luaus (mainly just on Maui when we have family visiting) so I cant speak specifically to Oahu ones but there are a bunch that are in Honolulu proper and that would be my recommendation to make sure you get the most out of your short time there and not just spend the whole time in the car. 

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
8 hours ago, CaribbeanBound said:

Actually you can easily do the Diamond Head hike in under an hour, especially if you arrive when they open (which I highly recommend).  Of course roundtrip transport needs to be factored into your plans. Here's highly detailed info on the Diamond Head Hike

The OP has 8 people in their party. I think two healthy Gen Z - Gen Y maybe could do it in an hour; my nephew's cross country team (Iolani) could do it in an hour, but a party of 8, I'd plan on the 90-120 minute range.

I do agree on doing it as early as possible. We usually plan 20 minutes after opening to let the crowd get out of the way.

And a point worth noting again, Diamond Head Hike now requires a reservation.

https://dlnr.hawaii.gov/dsp/parks/oahu/diamond-head-state-monument/

• Like 1

Thank you both CaribbeanBound  & scottca075.   Appreciate the information.   Our party has grown to 10, so I'm really going to have to study transportation options.   Scottca075, you make a very valid point, we are all mid 60's, and while thankfully still in great health, several of us may be packing a few extra lbs, so I think 2 hours is probably a more realistic expectation.