Hosted Tables

kmkord

The hosted tables can be a blessing or a curse.  I have had some of the most amazing experiences and conversations at some (mostly Captain’s table) and some of the most boring with boorish tablemates and could not wait to leave with others.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

We saw a few tables on the 9/22-10/4 Quest cruise  that looked like they could have been hosted (based on who was sitting there, e.g., both staff and pax), but I did not specifically check (maybe they just knew each other or informally got together).

However, every SB cruise we had been on pre-Covid we had received several invitations even though we had not solicited them , and that did not happen this cruise (we would not have gone anyway, to limit the intensity of potential Covid exposure).  We assumed it was, like on other lines that all but eliminated hosted tables for many months after resumption of cruising, , due to Covid precautions.

As you will be solo on a long cruise, in addition to going to the solo gathering, let the maitre d' know early in the cruise that you are interested in hosted tables, if there are any.

But if Son of Omicron is on the rise in December, they may not offer them, at least not formally.  

I noticed that our next door neighbor had an invitation to a hosted dinner hosted by one of the speakers last night on the Quest.  I don't know if they went. If I see the speaker I'll ask him about it as we discovered on the first day that we live in the same small city.

49 minutes ago, kjbacon said:

We attended two different hosted tables on Quest in August. One was a fantastic time for all and one was a desperate bore.

That happens.  I find it is usually worth taking a chance.  We've had all kinds of experiences.  

• Like 4

7 hours ago, kjbacon said:

We attended two different hosted tables on Quest in August. One was a fantastic time for all and one was a desperate bore.

Interesting, on the cruise following yours there were no hosted tables. Perhaps because no staff wanted to listen to service concerns throughout dinner. 

Just now, labonnevie said:

Interesting, on the cruise following yours there were no hosted tables. Perhaps because no staff wanted to listen to service concerns throughout dinner. 

Or because the Covid outbreak amongst crew was in a crescendo phase

9 hours ago, labonnevie said:

Or maybe you just weren’t invited.