FLL arrival day before POM cruise - please help

PrincessArlena'sDad

Hello,

We are sailing on the Carnival Horizon out of Miami on Sat July 8, flying into FLL the day before. Our flight arrives around 2:30pm.

It's our first time staying in a suite, and we would like to make maximum use of the priority arrival/boarding perk, which translates to punctual/reliable transport to the port. Easy/non-stress is also a priority.

There are 5 of us, with about 8 bags, so Uber/Lyft isn't an option.

So, should we:

1. Stay in a hotel near FLL with an airport shuttle, and book a shuttle/limo service for the trip from FLL to the port? With a Saturday morning departure, would traffic be an issue getting to the port as early as we'd like?

2. Stay in a hotel near the port, book a shuttle from FLL to the hotel, and either a hotel shuttle or private shuttle to the port?

3. Rent a car at FLL, return it that same day at a return location near the hotel, and then hotel or private shuttle to the port?

4. Is there a rental car company near the port that has a shuttle to the port? If so, then I could rent the car at FLL, and return it there.

Returning home:

Our flight departs FLL around 6pm.  We're thinking of taking the cruise transport with an airboat everglades airboat tour. $294.  Any better ideas on how to spend the day before our flight (including transport to FLL)? Quick google search shows the airboat ride is about $30pp, so Carnival is essentially charging $30pp for transport + convenience.

Don't rent a car for that short period - the hassle of returning the car is not worth the time.

I would stay near FLL and shuttle limo to POM in the morning.  Reach out to SAS (www.ridesas.com) and see about early shuttles that meet your desired arrival time - if you stay at one of the FLL area hotels on their list they will pick you up, saving you a trip back to the airport.  Alternatively, check with Larry's Limos.  Two Ubers (maybe one XL and one X) will also get your party and bags to POM.

Post cruise check www.resortpass.com for large hotels and resorts offering day passes to their beach/pool/spa facilities.  Tip them to story your bags while you swim, relax and grab lunch.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A vehicle may be difficult especially for the size you need for 5 people and 8 suitcases. I would look for a private company with a mini bus or passenger van. You can either make it easy and stay in FLL scheduling the transportation the next morning and taking the airport shuttle to a hotel in FLL. Or, have to deal with planning 2-sets of transportation pre-cruise. Not sure of the check-in time for Suite guests, but if it is 10AM, I would schedule a shuttle at 9AM from FLL. It is only about 30-45 minutes. 

• Thanks 1

Thanks.  I have to confirm the earliest check in time for suite guests, but knowing to give them a pick up time one hour prior is helpful.

Now to pick a FLL hotel with airport shuttle, walking distance restaurants for dinner, breakfast, and walking distance to Publix, etc. for wine. And bonus points for a good view!

3 hours ago, PrincessArlena'sDad said:

Thanks.  I have to confirm the earliest check in time for suite guests, but knowing to give them a pick up time one hour prior is helpful.

Now to pick a FLL hotel with airport shuttle, walking distance restaurants for dinner, breakfast, and walking distance to Publix, etc. for wine. And bonus points for a good view!

The earliest arrival time will be dependent on what time you select but unless your entire group is in suites or are platinum/diamond, they may have a later arrival appointment and boarding group.  

I highly recommend SAS transportation from Ft. Lauderdale hotels to the port of Miami. They have vans that can accommodate your party, and charge $13 pp if you have 5 or more, I believe. We've used them multiple times,  and plan to book them again next June, for our family trip ( also on the Horizon!) 

• Like 1

I echo the recommendations of SAS. I have done it pretty much every way you listed and the most stress free was to get to my hotel near FLL as soon as I land and use SAS the next morning to get to POM.

Look at the list of hotels SAS picks up from on their website. From that list pick a hotel that has an airport shuttle at FLL, is within walking distance to restaurants and stores, and of course is clean and highly recommended. You should also pay attention to the hotel amenities to ensure a comfortable stay. The bonus is these FLL area hotels tend to be cheaper then area beach or Miami hotels. 

They offer 3 pickup options, with 9:30 being the earliest.  We always choose 9:30.  Depending on traffic, we arrive no later than 10:15.  We're Diamond cruisers, now, and generally snag the earliest check-in time available, so it's not a problem.

8 hours ago, pcvtmom said:

They offer 3 pickup options, with 9:30 being the earliest.  We always choose 9:30.  Depending on traffic, we arrive no later than 10:15.  We're Diamond cruisers, now, and generally snag the earliest check-in time available, so it's not a problem.

Thanks. If all is going smoothly, what time does boarding begin? 

So many things can happen to delay boarding.  Best case scenario: You'd go through the check-in process and be on board by 11:00. We've been on the ship among the first before, (sometimes before they even uncover the buffet foods on the Lido)! 😆

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, pcvtmom said:

So many things can happen to delay boarding.  Best case scenario: You'd go through the check-in process and be on board by 11:00. We've been on the ship among the first before, (sometimes before they even uncover the buffet foods on the Lido)! 😆

Great thanks.  It's our first suite and it could be a one time thing for us, and our chance to be amongst the first on board. 

Looks like the 9:30 SAS transport will work for us!  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/17/2022 at 6:09 PM, PrincessArlena'sDad said:

Did you find a hotel? We're sailing out of POM and have a hotel booked up there, but now I'm seeing better flight deals to FLL so it's back to the drawing board. We'll get in late the night before our cruise, so I want to run out in the morning to grab our bottles of wine.

8 hours ago, allesonwonderland said:

Did you find a hotel? We're sailing out of POM and have a hotel booked up there, but now I'm seeing better flight deals to FLL so it's back to the drawing board. We'll get in late the night before our cruise, so I want to run out in the morning to grab our bottles of wine.

Yes, we booked the hyatt place in dania Beach. 91 SW 18th Ave, Dania Beach, FL 33004

There's a sprouts farmers market near by that has a nice selection.  I'd check their hours though if you want to go early morning. 

• Like 1

We fly into FLL and stay in Hollywood at Riptide Oceanfront Hotel. Hotel right on the beach and restaurants in walking distance. It is on the Broadwalk. We use a car service for all our travel needs. We used to use John's Car Service but he is no longer in business but Larry's Limos may be a good option.