Table for 2 at dinner?

bbtablet

I have read the Ambassador Brochure as carefully as I can and as far as I have been able to find out, you cannot request a table for 2 at dinner sitting.

This is what is putting me off booking with Ambassador because we always have been able to ask for and get a table for 2 at dining with our P&O cruises.

Can anyone confirm either way please?

• 8 months later...

They do have tables for two (on Ambience anyway). To get a 'guaranteed' sitting (1st or 2nd) you need to book the fare with the drinks/gratuities package included. It is not 100% clear whether you will also get preference for numbers of seats at the table.

We recently sailed on Ambition.

We booked a very late cheap fare and had the option to request the dining arrangements but tables for two were not given as an option, maybe because we did not pay a premium fare (?).

We requested a table for 6, first sitting and were put on a table for 4, second sitting.

We didn't bother asking if we could change.

There were certainly some tables for two but we were probably way down the pecking order!

• 1 month later...

I booked online last week for 2nd Sept UK cruise.

Selected Expedition drinks package, cabn number with no upgrades, and as we normally dine early (wife is type 1 diabetic and Coeliac), I chose Ist sitting, but could no choose table for 2.

'My Ambassador sailing' confirms cabin number and embarkation time, but dining tme and table size  not guaranteed.

Tried via telephone and email to ask about gluten frre food and dining times/table size. I even tried call back (should be 2hrs, but 5 days later receive auto email - apologies and suggests - try phoning early or later in day). Communication sadly lacking so far.

I now wish I had booked via telephone, so that numerous queries could be dealt with at that time.

9 hours ago, howmuch! said:

I booked online last week for 2nd Sept UK cruise.

Selected Expedition drinks package, cabn number with no upgrades, and as we normally dine early (wife is type 1 diabetic and Coeliac), I chose Ist sitting, but could no choose table for 2.

'My Ambassador sailing' confirms cabin number and embarkation time, but dining tme and table size  not guaranteed.

Tried via telephone and email to ask about gluten frre food and dining times/table size. I even tried call back (should be 2hrs, but 5 days later receive auto email - apologies and suggests - try phoning early or later in day). Communication sadly lacking so far.

I now wish I had booked via telephone, so that numerous queries could be dealt with at that time.

We are just back from Ambience.  

Yes the pre-cruise communication is lacking and it's hard to get through and answers on the phone (and on the ship too!)

However to reassure you a bit on the points you raise, firstly there is a meeting on-board for all passengers with special dietary requirements on the day after boarding, so I would imagine you can go to that and explain your wife's needs and they can then accommodate you.

The buffet has a section of GF as well as vegan and also everything on the menus is clearly marked as to what dietary restrictions is satisfies.

In the main restaurant tables are held for 30 minutes after which they are allocated to anyone who shows up.  So if you don't get your table for 2, you might be lucky to go 30 minutes after the start of 1st sitting and then be allocated one.

There are actually quite a lot of tables for 2.

All the best with it!

• 2 weeks later...

does any cruise line guarantee you your choice of dining time/table

surely they all have to operate a "first come first served" system (by which I mean allocating something from what's left at time of booking, not by arrivals on the day) 

what really annoys me is cruise line who give priority in selection of dining to passengers who have paid for the drinks package.  Just why should people who have no interest in "drinking the night away" get treated as second class citizens for this particular service

• Like 2

8 hours ago, tim_london0 said:

what really annoys me is cruise line who give priority in selection of dining to passengers who have paid for the drinks package.  Just why should people who have no interest in "drinking the night away" get treated as second class citizens for this particular service

Which cruise lines do that?