Sailing on the Eurodam in 2023. Advice for excursions, please

cruisintwinsmom

We are having some difficulty deciding on an excursion for Gatun Lake.  

1. Is it worth taking a cruise through the portion that goes to the Pacific? This would be similar to a complete canal cruise?

2. What about a walking tour through Panama City (Old and New)? To see something more than just the canal? Is it safe?

3. Just stay on the ship?

I realize that part of it is what we would enjoy more, but I would hate to go all that way for what might be a once-in-a-lifetime trip and miss something that would make it a more well-rounded experience. 

Thanks in advance for your help!

I can only speak for myself, but I would not stay on the ship. 

As for the other two options — what would be most meaningful to *you*? Since you are speaking about this as a possibly once in a lifetime trip, do you value experiencing more of the Canal than anything else?  You’d be in a smaller vessel, which itself would give you a different experience than you’ll have going through the Gatun Locks on a big ship. 

Enjoy whatever you decide. 

While staying on the ship is not a waste of your time, it is a repeat of what you saw that morning.  You will have seen about 8 miles of a Canal, twice!😁.  If at all possible, a shore excursion at this stop is a good move.

I think the excursion that takes you through Gaillard Cut and the Pacific Locks is well worth it as it will afford you an opportunity to see a large portion of the Canal. Seeing the Canal from the two different vessels gives you a different perspective of the Canal as Turtles pointed out.  To me there is much more visual interest in the Pacific/Cut portion of the Canal as opposed the Atlantic side.  Not only will you see more of the Canal, you'll get to see more of the country.

The walk around the old and new sections are fine.  They don't just turn you loose and leave you to your own devices, you are in a chaperoned group during the walk .  The old section has had a very nice restoration over the years and there is ample protection in the area as the Presidential Palace is within the old section. 

Forgot to reply to the second part of the first question... It does provide some of the elements of a full transit cruise, but to me there is a certain "completeness" in going through the Canal on a full transit.  If I were to choose between a full and partial transit I would opt for the full transit.  If that is not feasible at this time the partial is still a great choice.  I have done multiple cruise of both, all excellent.

Edited by BillB48

8 hours ago, Turtles06 said:

I can only speak for myself, but I would not stay on the ship....

2 hours ago, BillB48 said:

While staying on the ship is not a waste of your time, it is a repeat of what you saw that morning.  You will have seen about 8 miles of a Canal, twice!😁.  If at all possible, a shore excursion at this stop is a good move....

Thank you both for your prompt responses! Your insights are much appreciated. I'll have check out the locks options.

Smooth sailing!

7 hours ago, BillB48 said:

f I were to choose between a full and partial transit I would opt for the full transit.  If that is not feasible at this time the partial is still a great choice.  I have done multiple cruise of both, all excellent.

I have done both and agree with this gentleman and a full transit is the best option.  Have done the small boat excursion through the rest of the Canal, but, he is correct that one's perspectives will be different and, maybe, more significant than remaining on the Eurodam the entire time.  Old and new Panama City tour?  It is worthwhile to do; I enjoyed it.  But, it was not a walking tour.  There is a lot to be seen and I wonder how much one would really see in a talking tour.  

Whatever you decide, please read The Path Between the Seas  before you leave for your cruise.  The book will provide information that I think will better help you appreciate your Canal experience.

Whatever you decide, it's a pleasant, and fun, decision!  The Eurodam is a lovely ship as well.  

25 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

Whatever you decide, please read The Path Between the Seas  before you leave for your cruise.  The book will provide information that I think will better help you appreciate your Canal experience.

I strongly agree!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1