Viking Cruise December 2022

susieaf47

We are going on a Viking cruise to South America and the Chilean Fjords in December 2022.  Is there any information on excursions to see the penguins for that particular cruise?  Does anyone have any information on any excursions?

7 hours ago, susieaf47 said:

We are going on a Viking cruise to South America and the Chilean Fjords in December 2022.  Is there any information on excursions to see the penguins for that particular cruise?  Does anyone have any information on any excursions?

Check your cruise at Vikingcruises.com. It will have the penguin excursions listed under various places.

We did this itinerary in Jan 2020 just before Covid shut down travel.  The absolute highlight of our cruise was a private excursion we booked in the Falklands with Patrick Watts that went to Volunteer Point to see penguins.  It is a long, very bumpy off road drive but that was part of the adventure and we lucked out with a great driver who had served in the war.  It was pretty pricey even then and I assume even more now, but I would recommend it in a heartbeat.  I do not know what excursions Viking now offers that may be comparable to consider.  https://adventurefalklands.com/

Edited by GoNavyFamily
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, GoNavyFamily said:

We did this itinerary in Jan 2020 just before Covid shut down travel.  The absolute highlight of our cruise was a private excursion we booked in the Falklands with Patrick Watts that went to Volunteer Point to see penguins.  It is a long, very bumpy off road drive but that was part of the adventure and we lucked out with a great driver who had served in the war.  It was pretty pricey even then and I assume even more now, but I would recommend it in a heartbeat.  I do not know what excursions Viking now offers that may be comparable to consider.  https://adventurefalklands.com/

Check the website!

https://www.vikingcruises.com/oceans/cruise-destinations/caribbean-americas/south-america-chilean-fjords/index.html#modal/10414099999/itineraryday/8
The comparable excursion is the same trip to Volunteer Point, just not Patrick Watts.

22 hours ago, susieaf47 said:

Is there any information on excursions to see the penguins for that particular cruise?  Does anyone have any information on any excursions?

Shore excursion Information for your specific cruise is found on the Viking guest interface "My Viking Journey" under the Shore Excursion tab. This is for the Viking sponsored cruises and this is also where you sign up for the Viking included tours (because while they are included in your cruise fare, you do have to reserve your seats).

For information on independently booked tours, check both Trip Advisor and the "Ports of Call/South America" section of these Cruise Critic boards.

As for Patrick Watts, we toured with Patrick 12 years ago (not with Viking). We were lucky enough to be in Patrick's truck; he was running the local radio station when Argentina invaded the island and his story is fascinating. This tour and our private penguin tour at Punta Tombo were among the highlights of the cruise. (Punta Tombo guide has retired).

9 hours ago, GoNavyFamily said:

I concur!  We did this Dec 31, 2019 (Falklands with Patrick Watts) and highly recommend it!!!