No more staff masks required!

Wonky

20 hours ago, FangedRose said:

PCR testing before my cruise in July didn't stop some 300 passengers being isolated in their cabins. And those who were the ones who admitted to having symptoms,  and submitted to testing. Total numbers were probably double that. Testing was a waste of time and money, and added stress. 

That is really worrying and I expect you're right that many people choose to stay quiet rather than miss their holiday regardless of the affect it might have on others

Sadly I think we'll be staying away for quite some time

We disembarked Ventura on the 18th 0October and actually it was the comedian who informed us that staff masks were being abandoned.  Surprisingly, the next day there were  a lot of staff without the masks, but also a lot still wearing them.  Pity some of the passengers weren't wearing them, the coughing & sneezing that was taking place.  Some passengers could only be described as selfish.  We wore them for the whole 10 days and hopefully so far, so good.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, yoj13 said:

We disembarked Ventura on the 18th 0October and actually it was the comedian who informed us that staff masks were being abandoned.  Surprisingly, the next day there were  a lot of staff without the masks, but also a lot still wearing them.  Pity some of the passengers weren't wearing them, the coughing & sneezing that was taking place.  Some passengers could only be described as selfish.  We wore them for the whole 10 days and hopefully so far, so good.

(Normal, cloth, blue) Masks protect others not you. Unless you were wearing medical grade masks you were lucky, or were infected but not show symptoms.

Edited by FangedRose
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, FangedRose said:

(Normal, cloth, blue) Masks protect others not you. Unless you were wearing medical grade masks you were lucky, or were infected but not show symptoms.

Yes, wearing medical quality masks the whole 10 days on board.  Wanted to do our best for both ourselves and other people.  A great pity other passengers weren't in the same mind frame.  H onestly, if I could have changed my husband's mind about going, I would have done.   Anyhow, it's over now and it would appear safe thus far.

11 minutes ago, yoj13 said:

Yes, wearing medical quality masks the whole 10 days on board.  Wanted to do our best for both ourselves and other people.  A great pity other passengers weren't in the same mind frame.  H onestly, if I could have changed my husband's mind about going, I would have done.   Anyhow, it's over now and it would appear safe thus far.

You were lucky. We followed all rules  for two years+ when we went on Britannia in Sept. No-one wearing masks except us and crew. Caught it and spent 6 days in cabin missing all the ports we wanted to visit. We were honest when I went down with it, as was my wife but many others were not as ther coughing and spluttering was all over. We were assured there was no outbreak....until the captain and then both the medical dept and Carnival themselves admitted there was and we all had to wear masks!. We are now pursuing this via P&O, probably ABTA and legal advice.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Yorkypete said:

You were lucky. We followed all rules  for two years+ when we went on Britannia in Sept. No-one wearing masks except us and crew. Caught it and spent 6 days in cabin missing all the ports we wanted to visit. We were honest when I went down with it, as was my wife but many others were not as ther coughing and spluttering was all over. We were assured there was no outbreak....until the captain and then both the medical dept and Carnival themselves admitted there was and we all had to wear masks!. We are now pursuing this via P&O, probably ABTA and legal advice.

I feel for you honestly.  The coughing, sneezing etc that was going on was truly un-believable. No handkerchiefs, no hand over mouths etc., etc  I truly had my eyes opened at some passengers behaviour.  The cruise before ours,Ventura was wick with covid, in fact to the point I had to stop reading about it.  All I can say, is good luck with your endeavours in pe rsuing P& O and whoever else may help you.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Yorkypete said:

Not sure you have any recourse.  Masks can help, but are of limited assistance. 

What exactly did P&O do wrong, and can you prove that P&O actually caused you to get Covid ?

Good luck,  but from your previous posts,  I think you are flogging a dead horse. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Not sure you have any recourse.  Masks can help, but are of limited assistance. 

What exactly did P&O do wrong, and can you prove that P&O actually caused you to get Covid ?

Good luck,  but from your previous posts,  I think you are flogging a dead horse. 

Several things involved . Firstly we booked when FCC were still being used and we have never been notified they were ending. Secondly,P&O were lax in their behaviour with covid.  They knew people were coughing and spluttering around the ship but did nothing until they were forced to by complaints.They denied covid was on the ship but were forced to admit it half way through the cruise. Masks became compulsory but this was not enforced by the cruiseline. Incidentally masks are very effective if worn by everybody. We were kept in our cabin for six days  and they refused to re-test us despite we were feeling better. There was a lack of medicine on board to help with covid. I doubt we caught it on the ship but am cetain we caught it on the coach going down which, despite their T&Cs did not make people wear masks. People on the coach definately had it. The coach is provided and paid for by P&O. As to recourse, all we are after is some amount of FCCs. We are awaiting a reply re investigations by P&O and will then possibly contact ABTA, the press and our solicitors. If we don't succeed then we at least will have tried and warned people about P&O.

12 minutes ago, Yorkypete said:

Several things involved . Firstly we booked when FCC were still being used and we have never been notified they were ending. Secondly,P&O were lax in their behaviour with covid.  They knew people were coughing and spluttering around the ship but did nothing until they were forced to by complaints.They denied covid was on the ship but were forced to admit it half way through the cruise. Masks became compulsory but this was not enforced by the cruiseline. Incidentally masks are very effective if worn by everybody. We were kept in our cabin for six days  and they refused to re-test us despite we were feeling better. There was a lack of medicine on board to help with covid. I doubt we caught it on the ship but am cetain we caught it on the coach going down which, despite their T&Cs did not make people wear masks. People on the coach definately had it. The coach is provided and paid for by P&O. As to recourse, all we are after is some amount of FCCs. We are awaiting a reply re investigations by P&O and will then possibly contact ABTA, the press and our solicitors. If we don't succeed then we at least will have tried and warned people about P&O.

If that is your "evidence" , Good Luck  !

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Yorkypete said:

Thank you. We do have written evidence that they knew covid was rife on the ship but lied. That is for the legal people re negligence.

If the national statistic is for say 1 in 50 people have covid then there is a good chance that a similar percentage will board a ship so in my opinion it is obvious each ship will have covid onboard, even when people had observed tests before boarding some ships were still rife with covid after a few days. Most of us know and understand how colds and norovirus can spread when lots of people are closely confined, and not just on ships. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, yorkshirephil said:

If the national statistic is for say 1 in 50 people have covid then there is a good chance that a similar percentage will board a ship so in my opinion it is obvious each ship will have covid onboard, even when people had observed tests before boarding some ships were still rife with covid after a few days. Most of us know and understand how colds and norovirus can spread when lots of people are closely confined, and not just on ships. 

Totally agree with that.  Problem is that the cruise lines are treating or being forced to treat covid in a totally different way to the other illnesses which in turn leads to the passenger being treated differently.

There doesn't seem to be any joined up thinking and everything is being stacked against the passenger.  Examples are everywhere: answer our questionnaire but it's not interested in anything other than covid now, buy insurance to protect your money but it won't in most cases cover you in the scenarios we are actually creating by following out of date rules, don't wear a mask there's no risk but just in case we'll direct you to wear one when we say, don't tell anyone if the inevitable covid cases onboard are large in number  just ignore them then wonder why several hundred are suddenly struck down,  everything's back to normal because we want you to believe it - but just in case we'll keep the right to treat a covid case different to any other illness so that your rather unclear insurance we've told you to buy won't pay out.  The list goes on and on. 

The simple solution is for the ridiculous special conditions where covid occurs to be done away with and for insurers to stop having special covid cover regulations and revert to travel policies which actually cover every scenario rather than offering loopholes for cover to be denied.

Will anyone do it?  How long is that piece of string ...

Edited by Megabear2

31 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

Totally agree with that.  Problem is that the cruise lines are treating or being forced to treat covid in a totally different way to the other illnesses which in turn leads to the passenger being treated differently.

There doesn't seem to be any joined up thinking and everything is being stacked against the passenger.  Examples are everywhere: answer our questionnaire but it's not interested in anything other than covid now, buy insurance to protect your money but it won't in most cases cover you in the scenarios we are actually creating by following out of date rules, don't wear a mask there's no risk but just in case we'll direct you to wear one when we say, don't tell anyone if the inevitable covid cases onboard are large in number  just ignore them then wonder why several hundred are suddenly struck down,  everything's back to normal because we want you to believe it - but just in case we'll keep the right to treat a covid case different to any other illness so that your rather unclear insurance we've told you to buy won't pay out.  The list goes on and on. 

The simple solution is for the ridiculous special conditions where covid occurs to be done away with and for insurers to stop having special covid cover regulations and revert to travel policies which actually cover every scenario rather than offering loopholes for cover to be denied.

Will anyone do it?  How long is that piece of string ...

It is a difficult situation, I always try and see both sides of the coin but with some things don't always have the knowledge of skills to fully understand all aspects of an issue. I have constantly pushed back cruises with P&O since covid began because basically I don't trust them, I don't care for the way they do things and constantly try and take the high ground. They may be no better or worse than some other lines but I see what I see and having taken three cruises this year with no real issues I am not really looking forward to my upcoming cruise with P&O in the way I should be, that is because I can't even guess what they will do next. In all honesty if I could get out of the cruise without risking loosing several thousand pounds I would, I would then book with someone else. Hopefully once we have been tested, another change that P&O made after the balance was paid all will be OK and we will enjoy the cruise.