Grand Princess vs Sapphire Princess

Sugar&Buddy

27 minutes ago, Sugar&Buddy said:

Looking for feedback these 2 ships itinerary same which is best?

It will help if you gave your destination.

my personal chose would be Sapphire as both vessels are similar but Sapphire has Skywalker for viewing if going to Alaska 

Edited by wineforhealth

I would say Sapphire but would sail either.

Sapphire has Skywalkers and a wider promenade deck. I was on the Grand in December and the Sapphire in 2018 last. I have been on the Sapphire more than any other Princess ships and she is one of my favorites. Though - I had a great time on the Grand over Christmas.

They both have Alfredos and International Cafe. They both have a covered pool for Alaska. 

Edited by Coral

was on the Grand in January (Hawai'i) & the Sapphire in the past month (Mexico)--I would consider them currently pretty comparable in terms of maintenance/condition.

We were on the Sapphire for her return to service sailing & we had a really good experience but some on our cruise & her current Hawai'i sailing are having problems with AC &/or plumbing & are extremely unhappy. If you are going soon, I felt the Sapphire's captain (Paolo Ravera) was the best I have sailed with in terms of keeping passengers updated on what was happening. 

I would consider them pretty comparable but would maybe lean more toward the Sapphire all other things being comparable, she has some unique features (5 MDRs, lovely promenade, front area you can go out on under the bridge) & her crew were universally delightful. I would probably compare prices, availability of rooms, dates to make a choice.

If you have specific questions about either, let me know. I did lives on both cruises.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, AZjohn said:

Out of curiosity, why did Grand need to remove sky walkers and Sapphire didn’t?

Thanks!

The ship designers underestimated the effect of the weight of the steel Skywalkers on the stern of the ship. It made the Grand go bow up into the waves, giving an uncomfortable ride.

The Skywalkers on later ships was constructed of lighter materials like aluminium, which did not affect the trim of the ship.

Edited by SinbadThePorter
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1