Mardi Gras vs. Magic

vaka08

Which trip would you pick and more importantly… why

spring break. Family of 4 (kids are 7 and 9)

experience cruisers but not since covid

magic- 8 day- San Juan, st kitts, st marten, grand turk

mardi Gras- 7 day- San Juan, amber cove, grand turk

We know it’s spring break so it will be crowded but in general does Mardi Gras feel understaffed/over crowded. Is magic any better when it comes to lines/crowds/waits?

Is the entertainment very different between the ships?

Magic is one of our favorites (and the Breeze) and have sailed on her several times, that coupled with the 8 day itinerary would probably sway our decision.  We dont sail on the MG until December this year and although we are excited to experience that ship, the fact that you are talking about a spring break cruise would definitely factor into the decision with the amount of people on the MG. 

I might have a different answer after we sail MG in December but based on what I know right now and the information you gave, I would go with the 8 day cruise.  

It really does vary from cruise to cruise it seems from reading the boards. We sailed the Mardi Gras last October and the Magic in April. I loved the Mardi Gras (many don't) for a lot of the new features, huge number of bars and dining venues and entertainment options. The Magic was okay but as it's an older ship I noticed a lot of areas that needed repairs. I actually got locked out on my balcony due to a broken handle. As far as the run, I prefer the Magic's as I love St. Maarten and St. Kitts. I thought the lines/waits were pretty evenly matched on both my cruises, at some times had considerable waits for drinks, dining, at other times next to no waits, on both ships.

• Like 1

We did this exact cruise last spring break on the Magic and loved it. Didn't feel too crowded at all. This was our 7th cruise and loved the layout of the Magic. We are looking at a cruise for this spring break and have been debating between the same 2 ships but the Magic is much cheaper. And an extra day.

Although I've never been on the Magic, the Breeze (sister ship) is my all-time favorite. I've been on the MG 4 times, my 5th time this upcoming weekend. The MG is beautiful, huge, and I love it. However, I feel it is understaffed for the size and amount of people on the ship. We were on the MG this last Spring Break and I would never do SB on the MG again. The Magic is the right size for an 8-day cruise. Plus, the itinerary is nice.

• Like 2

I loved the MG.  It was under staffed but not that bad. We went in June so prime summer months.  It was packed.  As much as I love the MG, I would go on the Magic.  I love the ports, it is 8 days, and and class is great, IMO.  Good luck!

12 hours ago, vaka08 said:

magic- 8 day- San Juan, st kitts, st marten, grand turk

mardi Gras- 7 day- San Juan, amber cove, grand turk

Is the entertainment very different between the ships?

Ship: Mardi Gras for it's amazing dual-purpose atrium and new "wow" factor

Food: Mardi Gras for the many fantastic new offerings like Shaq's chicken (sure to be a fave with the kids), shawarma, gourmet hot dog stand and much more...

Ports: Magic HANDS DOWN

Good luck deciding!

• Like 1

That's a tough call; we loved the Mardi Gras and we also liked the Magic enough that we sailed her twice in a row.    If the prices are similar I'd opt for the Magic, mostly for the extra day and the excellent itinerary.

1 hour ago, IntrepidFromDC said:

Ship: Mardi Gras for it's amazing dual-purpose atrium and new "wow" factor

Food: Mardi Gras for the many fantastic new offerings like Shaq's chicken (sure to be a fave with the kids), shawarma, gourmet hot dog stand and much more...

Ports: Magic HANDS DOWN

Good luck deciding!

Have to agree with Jeff.  If ports are the top of your decision list, then the Magic wins.  If food or the ship are more important, then Mardi Gras is the pick.  And if entertainment is your top choice, then once again, it's the Mardi Gras.  Multiple comedy outlets with over 40 shows over the course of the week, both family and adult.

• Like 2