Athens morning at end of cruise- 2:00 pm flight- activity

budmeister

• 3 weeks later...

That depends on your travel style.  If you are trying to squeeze out of your trip as much as possible, then yeah, you could spend an hour or two sightseeing Athens.  However, most people would just go to the airport. 

We too had a flight around 14:00, but because we've spent lots of time in Athens prior to the cruise, there was nothing that we really had to see after the cruise, and thus elected to have a big breakfast, leisurely get off the ship, take a bus downtown, and 30 minutes later a bus to the airport.

If you really want to see something of Athens to squeeze the most out of your time in Athens, be one of the first to get off the ship, hire a taxi for the day, have him drive you to the site that you've selected, sightsee while he waits for you with your luggage, then go with him to the airport.

Alternatively, be one of the first to get off the ship, catch a bus to Syntagma Square, store luggage there, sightsee, then catch a bus or a metro to the airport.  Our contingency plans called for doing just this, and here are facilities close to the drop off point on Syntagma square:

- The Lockers Syntagma - Automated Luggage Storage; Kolokotroni 9, Syntagma, Athina, off Stadiou, off Syntagma Square; across from National Historical Museum, 37.9773°N 23.7325°E; +30 693 241 2302

- Lockers4All, 2 Nikis str, Athina 105 57, Greece, +30 694 562 4229; 37.9762°N 23.7334°E

- Luggage storage in Athens, Nikis 17, Athina 105 57, Greece; +30 21 0322 3531; 37.9745°N 23.7331°E

If you do decide to sightsee Athens, using either a taxi or buses, what do you see?  If you plan everything correctly, you could visit the Acropolis; Acropolis opens at 8:00, so if you get there at 7:45, buy your tickets, you could do it.  The entrance is only 1.4 km walking from Syntagma Square, a 15 minute jog. You could do the Acropolis in an hour.  

Good luck!

The most efficient and safest would be a private transfer and tour. You can choose to go the Acropolis or a general city tour and your bags will certainly be safe in the car.  I really would not trust a taxi to do that.

There are a number of reputable companies such as George's Taxi 

taxigreece.com. 

Edited by marazul
  • Thanks 1

On 11/6/2022 at 1:14 PM, pdmlynek said:

leisurely get off the ship, take a bus downtown, and 30 minutes later a bus to the airport.

Can you let me know what bus did you take downtown and then what bus did you take to the airport

Thanks!

As usual, we will agree with Marazul.  If your cruise offers some kind of excursion that lets you do or see something on the way to the airport than that is the best option.  Consider that with a 2pm International Flight one should plan on getting to ATH around 11 (11:30 at the latest).   Even if you cut it close (noon) that is only going to give you no more than 2 hours in Athens.  Personally, we would take our time debarking and go directly to the airport,,,,but we have already visited Athens many times.  Another option would be to hire a car/driver (this should be arranged in advance) and try to cram in a few sites on your own before heading to the airport.  

With luggage you really do not have many other options.

Hank

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

The cruise we are on only had one tour ending in the airport 4:30-12:00. We decided to stay a night in Athens to get the most out of this port with so much to see. Hope to have a tour prior to transfer to the hotel or just go there early and have the hotel help with a tour, looking at both options. This is our first trip to Greece.

22 hours ago, latebloomer56 said:

The cruise we are on only had one tour ending in the airport 4:30-12:00. We decided to stay a night in Athens to get the most out of this port with so much to see. Hope to have a tour prior to transfer to the hotel or just go there early and have the hotel help with a tour, looking at both options. This is our first trip to Greece.

This is the right decision.  It is crazy to take a cruise in or out of Athens and not spend any time there.

I would take a taxi to the hotel and have them hold the bags until check in time.  Then you can DIY your sightseeing or go on a guided tour.  If you want a guide, don't expect the hotel to set it up when you arrive there.  It could take hours to arrange or they will simply hand you a map and point you to the Acropolis.  Arrange for your own tour ahead of time.  They can meet you at the hotel.  Even better, a tour with a company like George's Taxi (taxigreece.com), will pick you up at the port, take you to the hotel to drop the bags and give you a tour.

Whether tour or DIY, go to the Acropolis first. You can get your own tickets ahead of time on their website (search this board) or the tour company can get them for you. DIY in Athens is quite doable , but you need to do some research to plan your day.

If you take a tour, don't include the Acropolis museum in it.  You can go by yourself after the tour or go the next morning if you have an afternoon flight.  For example, look at this tour:

https://www.georgestaxi.com/tour/best-of-athens-in-a-day/  It can pick you up at the port, take you to the Archaeological museum instead of the Acropolis Museum and back to the hotel.

Walk around the Plaka area in the evening and have dinner at one of the many tavernas.

Edited by marazul
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, marazul said:

This is the right decision.  It is crazy to take a cruise in or out of Athens and not spend any time there.

I would take a taxi to the hotel and have them hold the bags until check in time.  Then you can DIY your sightseeing or go on a guided tour.  If you want a guide, don't expect the hotel to set it up when you arrive there.  It could take hours to arrange or they will simply hand you a map and point you to the Acropolis.  Arrange for your own tour ahead of time.  They can meet you at the hotel.  Even better, a tour with a company like George's Taxi (taxigreece.com), will pick you up at the port, take you to the hotel to drop the bags and give you a tour.

Whether tour or DIY, go to the Acropolis first. You can get your own tickets ahead of time on their website (search this board) or the tour company can get them for you. DIY in Athens is quite doable , but you need to do some research to plan your day.

If you take a tour, don't include the Acropolis museum in it.  You can go by yourself after the tour or go the next morning if you have an afternoon flight.  For example, look at this tour:

https://www.georgestaxi.com/tour/best-of-athens-in-a-day/  It can pick you up at the port, take you to the Archaeological museum instead of the Acropolis Museum and back to the hotel.

Walk around the Plaka area in the evening and have dinner at one of the many tavernas.

Thanks Princess is taking us to the hotel. Didn't think about no tours from there we have done this in a few other countries, so good to know. Will check out George's Taxi as a tour have them pick us up at hotel and later return us there or the Acropolis. Hotel claims it is close to popular areas so maybe venture out for diner. Have flight through EZair the following day but not the time showing yet TA just booked nonstop for us to NY.

23 minutes ago, latebloomer56 said:

Thanks Princess is taking us to the hotel. Didn't think about no tours from there we have done this in a few other countries, so good to know. Will check out George's Taxi as a tour have them pick us up at hotel and later return us there or the Acropolis. Hotel claims it is close to popular areas so maybe venture out for diner. Have flight through EZair the following day but not the time showing yet TA just booked nonstop for us to NY.

Which hotel?

15 minutes ago, latebloomer56 said:

We are booked at the Intercontinental Athens. 

Close, but not that central.  It is about a 15 minute walk to Plaka.  Walking in Athens is safe.  Taxis are cheap.. Don't miss walking around and having dinner in Plaka in the evening.

2 minutes ago, marazul said:

Close, but not that central.  It is about a 15 minute walk to Plaka.  Walking in Athens is safe.  Taxis are cheap.. Don't miss walking around and having dinner in Plaka in the evening.

Thanks we will check this out, I have added this to my list 😁.

I love my lists.

• Like 1

On 11/27/2022 at 1:51 PM, latebloomer56 said:

So many choices in this area for dinner. Do you know of any one in particular?

We have long had a favorite Plaka area dinner restaurant which is called Daphnes.  We think it has some of the best seafood in Athens and is well known (your concierge can get you reservations.  The one downside is that if you want a rooftop restaurant with a view of the Acropolis...this is not for you,  Daphnes is simply about good food.

Daphne's Restaurant – Daphne's is a classic in every sense of the word located in Plaka (daphnesrestaurant.gr)

1 hour ago, Hlitner said:

We have long had a favorite Plaka area dinner restaurant which is called Daphnes.  We think it has some of the best seafood in Athens and is well known (your concierge can get you reservations.  The one downside is that if you want a rooftop restaurant with a view of the Acropolis...this is not for you,  Daphnes is simply about good food.

Daphne's Restaurant – Daphne's is a classic in every sense of the word located in Plaka (daphnesrestaurant.gr)

I'm all about the food, thanks.

On 11/7/2022 at 1:58 PM, gdynkin said:

Can you let me know what bus did you take downtown and then what bus did you take to the airport

Thanks!

Sorry that I did not get to reply to you until now.  I am not a frequent reader of cruise critic. 😞 

Just like in any major European city, between the airport and downtown there is public transport in form of a public bus and metro.  You can do regular city buses or metro between downtown and the airport in Athens as well.  But that type of transport is not what we are discussing.

There are special Express "X" buses that go between the airport, downtown and the port.  
X80: Piraeus <--> downtown Athens

X95: downtown Athens <--> airport

X96: Piraeus <--> Airport

When we disembarked in Piraeus, we found buses to downtown and the airport waiting for passengers, and the passangers were also waiting for them.  

Good luck!

• 5 weeks later...

Since you fly out the day of your cruise, I assume you have an EU passport? I’m American and when I travel home from Europe, I make sure to arrive at the airport 4 hours early, for peace of mind. 

If you do plan a morning tour, be wary of the weather and the heat. I wouldn’t want to be sweaty and sticky on an overnight flight. That sounds miserable. 

My cruise planning motto is to let some things go. It’s easy to want to see everything at every stop, but it’s not possible or sane. It would be a shame to miss Athens, but I suspect you will see some  spectacular sights on your cruise and you won’t be disappointed. 

So I suggest you come up with a flexible plan that you can change last minute if it doesn’t work out.