Ocean to Ocean...Same thing???

CABCruiser

Many of you on the cruise of the Panama Canal mention the shore excursion, "Ocean to Ocean." I can not find this listed on the Princess site for excursions.

I can only find something called, "The Panama Canal Experience By Boat." It lasts 6-8 hours, costs $169, and is described as Boat Ride:Bus Ride. Is this the same thing?????

Compare what you read/see in this link with the description Princess gives in its shore excursion blurb on the Ocean to Ocean excursion. It may be the same, it may be different.

The one I see here is a trip to Panama City by bus, stopping at the Miraflores locks, with lunch in a good restaurant, the new and old sections of Panama City.

Colon2000.com

These are the tours that some cruise ships use out of Colon, Panama. You can view photos, videos, an itinerary showing the time frame etc.

Hope that helps.

• 1 month later...

Marilyn,

Was this an air conditioned excursion? I am concerned with the heat and humidity and am looking for some excursions in any of the ports that I can do where we could have air conditioning. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

sasha'smom

The Panama Canal by Ferry is NOT an air conditioned excursion. The ferry is open air. If you stay in the shade it isn't as hot but it is still hot and humid. They do provide all the water and sodas you can drink though. While it is a great excursion, if you have problems with the heat I don't recommend it. On ours, we had one person with diabetes who didn't pay attention. She stayed out in the sun instead of in the shade and didn't drink enough water even though they kept reminding us to. She collapsed while we were in the last set of locks. We had to wait until we were through before they could evacuate her from the ferry.

Thank you for letting me know. The last thing I want to do is risk fainting (which I have been having problems with in the heat). Do you know of any excursions that were air conditioned that you could recommend? Thanks.

sasha'smom

• 2 weeks later...

Sasha'smom,

I replied in another thread, but our ferry had the a/c on in the enclosed deck area. It was a big area with tables and chairs and was very comfortable. We went in and out as needed and just kept drinking. Also the front of the outdoor part of the ferry where we spent most of our time had a wonderful breeze and was partially shaded.

We were on an a/c bus for approximately 2 - 2 1/2 hours in total at the beginning and end of our tour getting to the ferry and then back to our ship. While it was comfortable and the tour guide was terrific, it was a long day. I wouldn't do it again but I would not have missed doing it once. It was an amazing day! Next time I'd like to do a full transit right on my big ship!!!

• 1 month later...

we are doing a full transit from San Diego to Florida in Dec.

Will we see enough of the canal by staying on board?

It would certainly save us some money. Otherwise we're thinking of the train trip.

If you want to see the canal, stay on board. Doing a full transit is the best way to see the canal. If your ship stops in Ft. Amador and tours to Miraflores Locks are offered, that would be a plus. You will see very little of the canal itself from the train. Some nice countryside and more remote areas of Gatun Lake can be seen from the train. The train trip is worth while after you have had a complete transit.

BB

Archived