First time cruising MSC and wanting to try the World Europa

RBrowny

Hi, I have not long got off our recent cruises around the Greek islands with Norwegian and we couldn't fault it at all. I have seen an itinerary that has caught my eye next year on the brand new World Europa, but I have a few questions as I am a bit unsure what to expect.

• Do we know what food is included with the cruise? I know there are 13 different dining venues, but I am unsure what we would have to pay for and what we don't have to pay for?
  • I noticed all the different activities like the massive slide, the bumper cars, 4D cinema, various shows etc, I was wondering how much these would cost over the course of 7 days.
  • What are the inside cabins like? Our last cruise was a balcony and it made all the difference, but I want to know if these are quite spacious or are they really small, compared to some of the smaller ships like the NCL Gem we was on not long ago.
  • With a drinks package, would these be included everywhere, like the Gin club, the Pub, and all bars around the ship? I am unsure if some places don't allow it, and you have to pay a premium?
  • Dress code? NCL was quite relaxed, and I enjoyed wearing a polo shirt and jeans for evening meals, is this acceptable on MSC or is it stricter for the main dining rooms?
  • What are the differences between a smaller ship and a large one like this? Are there long queues for drinks/food and activities or is it quite simple processes

I apologise for the questions, but like everyone, you want to be sure that the cruise you pick is right for you, and ultimately be one of the best holidays you want to go on. Hopefully someone out there can help me, and maybe any curious viewers might find some useful information from it

I appreciate any and all help with making a decision on this, and maybe we might see you on these ships

• Do we know what food is included with the cruise? I know there are 13 different dining venues, but I am unsure what we would have to pay for and what we don't have to pay for?

All normal dining options are included, the so called speciality restaurants not. Same like all other MSC ships. We never used a "speciality restaurant" so far, I guess 95% of the guests never used. 

• I noticed all the different activities like the massive slide, the bumper cars, 4D cinema, various shows etc, I was wondering how much these would cost over the course of 7 days.

Shows and slides should be included, for the other stuff the prices are not too much, especially when using the entertainment pass. Nothing to worry about. 

• What are the inside cabins like? Our last cruise was a balcony and it made all the difference, but I want to know if these are quite spacious or are they really small, compared to some of the smaller ships like the NCL Gem we was on not long ago.

Insides usually have no sofa, but some do. And some inside cabins are bigger, some smaller. For me Insides are OK, not spacious, not really small. But I have no idea about the layout on the Europa of cause. 

• With a drinks package, would these be included everywhere, like the Gin club, the Pub, and all bars around the ship? I am unsure if some places don't allow it, and you have to pay a premium?

Basically the package is included everywhere, the few exceptions are clearly mentioned. 

• Dress code? NCL was quite relaxed, and I enjoyed wearing a polo shirt and jeans for evening meals, is this acceptable on MSC or is it stricter for the main dining rooms?

You will not be turned away from the MDR with this. 

• What are the differences between a smaller ship and a large one like this? Are there long queues for drinks/food and activities or is it quite simple processes

Simple.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, perakcruiser said:
  • Do we know what food is included with the cruise? I know there are 13 different dining venues, but I am unsure what we would have to pay for and what we don't have to pay for?

All normal dining options are included, the so called speciality restaurants not. Same like all other MSC ships. We never used a "speciality restaurant" so far, I guess 95% of the guests never used. 

Hi, what is included in the 'normal dining options' as when we was on NCL, O'sheenan's was included which was like a British/Irish pub food place, I'm assuming similar, you pay for on MSC.

Thank you for your reply, it means a lot and has definitely helped me towards what I want to do from my next cruise

Edited by RBrowny
added extra comment

9 hours ago, RBrowny said:

Hi, what is included in the 'normal dining options' as when we was on NCL, O'sheenan's was included which was like a British/Irish pub food place, I'm assuming similar, you pay for on MSC.

I have been in the British pub on some MSC ships, but I really don´t remember if there was food available. I only went there for a Newcastle Brown Ale from tap 🙂What I know is that they started to have some food options (free or not) in the sports bar, because of the high demand for this from US pax who - please don´t read, American friends - seem to need food all the time during the cruise😉

That is why your question "Is food included in the bars" is difficult. Yes, I remember some small selection of pastries in some bars or other very small snacks in other bars at special times, but also tea time and breakfast is really happening at the buffet. You definitely will not have lunch or dinner in any of the pubs, bars and cafes, so you don´t need to think if included or not. None of the places has anything more than small snacks, but most have no food at all. 

Edited by perakcruiser
  • Like 1

On 10/20/2022 at 1:26 AM, RBrowny said:

Hi, I have not long got off our recent cruises around the Greek islands with Norwegian and we couldn't fault it at all. I have seen an itinerary that has caught my eye next year on the brand new World Europa, but I have a few questions as I am a bit unsure what to expect.

• Do we know what food is included with the cruise? I know there are 13 different dining venues, but I am unsure what we would have to pay for and what we don't have to pay for? - At least the MDR's and the Buffet will be included. I hope they have a few more included areas due to the ship size. Parakruiser explains the cultural barrier exceptionally well.
  • I noticed all the different activities like the massive slide, the bumper cars, 4D cinema, various shows etc, I was wondering how much these would cost over the course of 7 days. - Some free, some as a pay for, but prices are usually nominal, with a possible well priced entertainment pass.
  • What are the inside cabins like? Our last cruise was a balcony and it made all the difference, but I want to know if these are quite spacious or are they really small, compared to some of the smaller ships like the NCL Gem we was on not long ago. - Bear in mind this particular ship is under building right now. The so called "Premium" insides are larger than the normal ones. If you purchase a "Bella" experience, you'll end up most likely on the smaller ones.
  • With a drinks package, would these be included everywhere, like the Gin club, the Pub, and all bars around the ship? I am unsure if some places don't allow it, and you have to pay a premium? - The main exception is the coffee and chocolate 3rd party vendor, in Europa's case, Jean Phillipe, where all packages are not valid. Other exceptions may apply, and they'll to be shown directly on the place. The baseline Easy package may have some specific to its T&Cs place limitations.
  • Dress code? NCL was quite relaxed, and I enjoyed wearing a polo shirt and jeans for evening meals, is this acceptable on MSC or is it stricter for the main dining rooms? - No worries, go as you are!... Do note though that by the norm, Europeans are usually a little bit dressier than their US peers, so, by the norm, at dinner time the ambiance will most likely to be like going on an slightly upscale restaurant in town.
  • What are the differences between a smaller ship and a large one like this? Are there long queues for drinks/food and activities or is it quite simple processes - That's easy; isn't it?!...

I apologise for the questions, but like everyone, you want to be sure that the cruise you pick is right for you, and ultimately be one of the best holidays you want to go on. Hopefully someone out there can help me, and maybe any curious viewers might find some useful information from it - Bear in mind the ship is under building now. Bear also in mind it is the first in class and they'll need some time to work out the bugs.

I appreciate any and all help with making a decision on this, and maybe we might see you on these ships - You're welcome! We're here just to help. Don't mind to ask again and have a nice day!...

Edited by Nunagoras

5 hours ago, perakcruiser said:

I have been in the British pub on some MSC ships, but I really don´t remember if there was food available. I only went there for a Newcastle Brown Ale from tap 🙂What I know is that they started to have some food options (free or not) in the sports bar, because of the high demand for this from US pax who - please don´t read, American friends - seem to need food all the time during the cruise😉

That is why your question "Is food included in the bars" is difficult. Yes, I remember some small selection of pastries in some bars or other very small snacks in other bars at special times, but also tea time and breakfast is really happening at the buffet. You definitely will not have lunch or dinner in any of the pubs, bars and cafes, so you don´t need to think if included or not. None of the places has anything more than small snacks, but most have no food at all. 

3 hours ago, Nunagoras said:

Thanks both for the responses. I was referring to the NCL having some sort of food available 24/7, that was all. But that makes perfect sense, and something that we are now looking forward to after booking.

@Nunagoras- We have booked inside on the experience above the first one (can't remember it's name). With a premium drinks package. We've got our room number mid ship too, so we're happy with this. 

Really looking forward to it, but yeah, just not sure if there will be more queues then smaller ships or not, because it's all spread out with more things to do.

Hopefully jeans and polo/t-shirt in MDR will go down fine, unless we have the gala/dress up night, then I will adjust more appropriately. 

Thanks again, to you both, definitely helped make the booking easier