Renewed daily shipboard testing?

Edmond33

Cruise lines have been sailing in Aust since mid year and requirement as per the Eastern Seaboard Protocols allow for self administered RAT [antigen] test 24 hours prior to boarding.  MVJ indicates the same protocols for sailings from Aust.  I know that the cruise that left Hawaii and headed to Aust are requiring test every morning.  It appears Viking have instigated these protocols themselves as they are definitely not a requirement of the Aust Government. 

cheers Vicki 

• Like 1

Some may feel that it is time to move on.   Some may be inconvenienced by testing and others not.

The fact is that Covid is still with us globally and different countries are still going to impose different rules and requirements as we go.

Viking is not the villain here, the governments of countries that Viking is visiting are...

Viking has PCR labs on their ships.  They did this for us - their loyal base - to help protect us.  No other cruise line went to the extent that Viking did.  Also during the height of the pandemic when cruising resumed, if you followed the outbreaks on ships, Viking was not prominent on that list.

I personally did not feel that spitting into a tube was an inconvenience.  I would gladly do it again to travel.  It never occurred to me that a travel companion would spit on behalf of someone else because they felt they were exposed, but that kind of behaviour only shows the selfishness of some people.

Covid ain't disappearing for some time yet.  I personally feel that if you are not comfortable with return of testing, masking, and potential quarantine, then just don't travel.  This is just how it is today.

• Like 13

Along the lines of testing, what about showing your proof of vaccination? We are 14 days away from our Mediterranean Odyssey I am pretty sure I read on here that we get a list of specific instructions at this time but haven't received anything on my email or on MVJ yet.   

Do we just show our National Vaccination document that I have saved to my phone (and printed) on embarkation day?

12 hours ago, SJD117 said:

Stress? What stress? We tested every day on our March cruise from San Juan to Barcelona. No problem at all. 

I agree - what stress?  Tested daily for 2 cruises.  No big deal.  Masked and wore a contact tracer too.  Did not have a single Covid case on board.  Stress that you might test positive and be quarantined?  Yes, but wouldn't you quarantine anyway if you got Covid?  Delighted that we will have testing on our Caribbean and Amazon Adventure (Brazil).  

• Like 5

1 hour ago, junnipper said:

Along the lines of testing, what about showing your proof of vaccination? We are 14 days away from our Mediterranean Odyssey I am pretty sure I read on here that we get a list of specific instructions at this time but haven't received anything on my email or on MVJ yet.   

Do we just show our National Vaccination document that I have saved to my phone (and printed) on embarkation day?

When we traveled with Viking we were required to show our ORIGINAL vaccination card not a photocopy or on a phone app.  We kept it in our room safe just like we would our passports.

1 hour ago, junnipper said:

Just returned from Med Odyssey. The one time I had to show my vaccination card was at our home airport (Tampa) when we checked our bag. Not once during the almost three weeks we were away did anyone ask for it again. There were no masking requirements anywhere except for in the cabs in Barcelona.  

1 hour ago, TayanaLorna said:

When we traveled with Viking we were required to show our ORIGINAL vaccination card not a photocopy or on a phone app.  We kept it in our room safe just like we would our passports.

When we traveled in March on Viking Sea we uploaded a photo of our vaccine cards to Verifly, & our laminated copies were accepted at check in. I think copies are readily accepted.

12 hours ago, katlew said:

Yeah, I noticed it wasn’t online either, but thought I was missing something too. Apparently from what others have said in other threads, it’s actually a deal the cruise industry made with Australia, because Australia wasn’t going to allow cruises yet. So, I guess the NSW thing wasn’t correct. Either way, we’re just gonna roll with whatever is required & enjoy our cruise. 

If you have time, could you advise or direct which other threads talk about Australia wanting cruise pax to get tested every day on a cruise heading into Australia?

6 hours ago, junnipper said:

It is our experience that this information is not ALWAYS on MVJ.

To find your specific requirements, the most up to date is always on the main Viking Ocean Cruises site.  Find your Mediterranean Odyssey cruise - like you were looking for availability - and then one of the tabs is titled "Resources" and then you are looking for "Pre-Cruise Requirements".

This link is for the Canadian site, so if it does take you there, ensure that you are redirected to the appropriate site for your booking country as the requirements may be different.

https://www.vikingcruisescanada.com/oceans/cruise-destinations/western-mediterranean/mediterranean-odyssey/resources.html

This is always your best and most up to date resource.  The resource is dated also, so you can check back and see by a date change is there is a change to the content.

Here is the link to the PDF, but again, this is from the Canadian site.

https://docs.vikingcruises.com/pdf/14-PreCruiseRequirement-All-US_CAN_UK_AU_NZ.pdf

but from this link it looks like it covers most countries of origin.

Edited by CDNPolar

8 minutes ago, Catlover54 said:

If you have time, could you advise or direct which other threads talk about Australia wanting cruise pax to get tested every day on a cruise heading into Australia?

Our travel requirements for NZ/Australia on MVJ do not say we will have daily testing, but that there will be frequent testing, if that makes any difference. 

Anyway, there is some discussion of it here. There was another thread, but I can't find it now. I did find the Eastern Seaboard and Western Australian Cruise Protocals on the NSW government site. It does call for testing before boarding. "6.2 Passengers must have a PCR test within 48 hours before boarding, or a self-administered RAT within 24 hours before boarding. Cruise lines will advise passengers embarking in Australia that pre-embarkation PCR testing must be done at a private laboratory." It also calls for testing of anymore with symptoms while on board, "6.6 Passengers who have symptoms of COVID-19 must be tested, including ahead of shore excursions, and are encouraged to wear masks while symptomatic." I can see Viking being careful and having everyone test from time to time rather than just trying to catch those with symptoms. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, LindaS272 said:

When we traveled in March on Viking Sea we uploaded a photo of our vaccine cards to Verifly, & our laminated copies were accepted at check in. I think copies are readily accepted.

Good to know.  Haven't cruised since Dec ' 21.

13 hours ago, TayanaLorna said:

This is THE reason why every time I have received a booster,

I asked really nicely if the technician would re-write all the info from my original card onto a new card in addition to the new the booster info.  

I simply explained that I was certain I would lose one at some point or have my purse stolen, and I travel places where originals are required.

Now I have 3 different 100% authentic vaccination cards.

1 for my purse

1 in my home gun safe

1 in my suitcase

Edited by SempreMare
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

18 hours ago, CDNPolar said:

Some may feel that it is time to move on.   Some may be inconvenienced by testing and others not.

The fact is that Covid is still with us globally and different countries are still going to impose different rules and requirements as we go.

Viking is not the villain here, the governments of countries that Viking is visiting are...

Viking has PCR labs on their ships.  They did this for us - their loyal base - to help protect us.  No other cruise line went to the extent that Viking did.  Also during the height of the pandemic when cruising resumed, if you followed the outbreaks on ships, Viking was not prominent on that list.

I personally did not feel that spitting into a tube was an inconvenience.  I would gladly do it again to travel.  It never occurred to me that a travel companion would spit on behalf of someone else because they felt they were exposed, but that kind of behaviour only shows the selfishness of some people.

Covid ain't disappearing for some time yet.  I personally feel that if you are not comfortable with return of testing, masking, and potential quarantine, then just don't travel.  This is just how it is today.

CDNPolar - very well stated!  (Obviously I agree with all you say).

• Like 2

We just got back from Fiji a few weeks ago.  We had to show our vaccine card several times, once to get onto the flight, to go through immigrations in Fiji and the dive resort we were in requested a copy.  In addition, we had to show proof of medical coverage, especially if infected with Covid. 

On 10/21/2022 at 12:59 PM, tocruiseguy said:

NSW doesn't seem to require a covid test on their website, unless I missed something?

https://www.nsw.gov.au/covid-19/travel/international-arrivals

It is only for cruise passengers and because so many passengers (660) on Ruby Princess became infected with Covid and 28 passengers died. This was Australia's first introduction to Covid in March 2020 and unfortunately cruise passengers continue to be under significant scrutiny. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, TayanaLorna said:

Australians don't get a vaccination card and they are certainly travelling on Viking. We only have digital certificates. 

7 hours ago, powderhorn said:

I think 6 sea days in a row may be an opportune time for Viking (and other cruise lines) to reset the ship and attempt to rid it of Covid....be interesting if they impose testing or restrictions on our TA in December..... 

You’d think, but last year we had 9 sea days in a row where we were tested daily (no positives).  We got into Uruguay and were  tested twice again before 9 am.  Argentina STILL would not allow us to dock for 14 days.  Countries still make the rules, and Viking still has to comply.

• Like 1

On 10/21/2022 at 6:40 AM, junnipper said:

Just returned from Med Odyssey cruise. Only asked for vaccination card when we checked our bag before our initial flight. No one ever asked to see it again during our three week trip.  

• Like 1