What to do in Buenos Aires after disembarking if you have a very late flight?

MisterBill99

We are on Celebrity Infinity to Antarctica next February and our flight home from Buenos Aires is not until 10:45pm. Is there a good tour that we can do that will pick us up at the cruise terminal and then drop us off at the BA airport at around 7-8pm? If someone has a suggestion for a tour and guide, that would be great. Some friends who are going to be on the same cruise are doing the Celebrity excursion that takes you to lunch and a tango show, but they end up at the airport in the late afternoon, which is WAY too much time at the airport for me (even though I have Priority Pass lounge access, but they might throw me out after a few hours).

In 2020 we used Elizabet Jeckel through Tours By Locals.  We found out that she has her own company and runs it with her daughter.  She is excellent.  She uses a driver so she can focus on the guiding.  That was really nice as we would get dropped off right at the particular sight without having to find a parking space.  Her company is Iconic Buenos Aires.  She has  facebook page and a website.  www.visitarbuenosaires.com or iconicbuenosaires.com

• Like 1

Tan

2 hours ago, TayanaLorna said:

In 2020 we used Elizabet Jeckel through Tours By Locals.  We found out that she has her own company and runs it with her daughter.  She is excellent.  She uses a driver so she can focus on the guiding.  That was really nice as we would get dropped off right at the particular sight without having to find a parking space.  Her company is Iconic Buenos Aires.  She has  facebook page and a website.  www.visitarbuenosaires.com or iconicbuenosaires.com

Thanks, I sent her an email. There has to be something better than the Celebrity tour that does a tour, lunch and a tango show and dumps you at the airport at 5pm.

• Like 1

On 10/21/2022 at 11:23 AM, MisterBill99 said:

Tan

Thanks, I sent her an email. There has to be something better than the Celebrity tour that does a tour, lunch and a tango show and dumps you at the airport at 5pm.

A tour that I took was called Spirit of Buenos Aires Waterways and Airport Transfer that I enjoyed, but, it lasted about 6 hours and we arrived at the airport in the middle of the afternoon.

A word about the airport when I was there.  I was flying on Delta in Business Class.  Delta uses the Aerolineas Argentinas Terminal and expected to use their Business Class Lounge after checking in.  Delta's check-in did not begin until late afternoon.  Could not get to the Lounge until I was checked in.  Seating was not plentiful.  Many people were sitting on the floor.  Then, when check-in did begin, long lines naturally formed.  I did make it to the Lounge and enjoyed it; my flight was also a late night flight, so I had a few hours to use the Lounge and it was comparable to the Sky Clubs in the United States.  Maybe the situation has improved since I was there in 2018.  

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

A tour that I took was called Spirit of Buenos Aires Waterways and Airport Transfer that I enjoyed, but, it lasted about 6 hours and we arrived at the airport in the middle of the afternoon.

A word about the airport when I was there.  I was flying on Delta in Business Class.  Delta uses the Aerolineas Argentinas Terminal and expected to use their Business Class Lounge after checking in.  Delta's check-in did not begin until late afternoon.  Could not get to the Lounge until I was checked in.  Seating was not plentiful.  Many people were sitting on the floor.  Then, when check-in did begin, long lines naturally formed.  I did make it to the Lounge and enjoyed it; my flight was also a late night flight, so I had a few hours to use the Lounge and it was comparable to the Sky Clubs in the United States.  Maybe the situation has improved since I was there in 2018.  

Thanks. That is why I am looking for something longer. I heard back from the person was recommended, and she suggested a tour of A DAY IN THE LAND OF THE GAUCHOS. San Antonio de Areco+Estancia and it would drop me off at the airport at around 6-7pm. That is much better than a short tour. Will look at other tour providers who can do something similar.

17 hours ago, MisterBill99 said:

A DAY IN THE LAND OF THE GAUCHOS.

I knew of that tour, but, it was not offered as a shore excursion by HAL.  A luncheon that included entrees of Argentinean Beef was part of the experience.  I decided against that and felt, for me, sticking with a HAL shore excursion was my better choice.  Why?  My interactions with Argentinean citizens when I was in their country, the inability to obtain any of their currency prior to departure, and the crime in Buenos Aires about which I learned before I left home.  I was, and am, comfortable with my decision.  

2 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

I knew of that tour, but, it was not offered as a shore excursion by HAL.  A luncheon that included entrees of Argentinean Beef was part of the experience.  I decided against that and felt, for me, sticking with a HAL shore excursion was my better choice.  Why?  My interactions with Argentinean citizens when I was in their country, the inability to obtain any of their currency prior to departure, and the crime in Buenos Aires about which I learned before I left home.  I was, and am, comfortable with my decision.  

To each their own. This tour takes you out of Buenos Aires, so the crime (or not) is a non-issue, at least for me. We're actually going to be there for a few days before the cruse touring on our own, so hopefully it isn't that bad. And the tour guide told me that she wants payment in US dollars, so local currency is a non-issue. Also this tour includes a lunch including beef, although we are doing a dinner before the cruise that also includes it.

The tour you described sounds like what Celebrity offers. Not a surprise, since they all buy them from a third party. 

Edited by MisterBill99
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, MisterBill99 said:

so local currency is a non-issue.

This was for me.  I wanted to make a small purchase.  I wanted to buy some postage stamps.  Could not do so because I did not have local currency.  

What I saw of Argentina, it is a beautiful country.  It was not, for this American tourist, a country that I desire another visit.  

On 10/23/2022 at 8:29 PM, rkacruiser said:

This was for me.  I wanted to make a small purchase.  I wanted to buy some postage stamps.  Could not do so because I did not have local currency.  

What I saw of Argentina, it is a beautiful country.  It was not, for this American tourist, a country that I desire another visit.  

We all have our own travel hang ups, but you may be limiting yourself based on American biases. According to the UN National Statistics on Crime and Criminal Justice, the US and Argentina have similar homicide rates, the US has a tremendously higher rate of assault and major assault versus Argentina, and the US has a much higher rate of rape than Argentina. Argentina does have a higher incidence of robberies, but things can be replaced. Humans cannot.

To each his or her own, of course. But it always pays to do a bit of research on the places we are visiting. 

Edited by GeorgiaCruisePeaches
fixed typo (big to bit)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/22/2022 at 12:44 PM, rkacruiser said:

Do you recall how many hours in advance was check-in allowed?