Time to disembark in ports?

buzzro

I will be sailing on the Getaway Nov 28th and it's stopping at Nassau, Ocho Rios, Oranjestad, Willemstad, and Puerto Plata. I'm trying to plan diving in all the ports and the ship is not offering any diving except on Nassau. What time can I except to be able to get off the ship? The posted arrivals are 7:00 and 8:00am. All the dive shops typically leave around 9:00am.

Thanks

• Like 1

I'm sure others have far more experience than me, but if the ship docks at 8 you may be pushing it for a private tour at 9.  If ship docks at 7 you should be fine.  If it's one thing I've noticed NCL weren't great at on my last half full cruise it was efficiently opening the gangways upon arrivals, in fact it was a point of frustration for me.  They blamed port authorities and otherwise, but I've been on enough cruises to know it isn't the norm.

Typically if your ship is in port from lets say 8am-5pm it docks about 7:30 and passengers start getting off at 8am. If you are staying in the Haven you can be one of the first off. If not your just going to have to get in line. I don't see any problem getting off by 8:30 if you indeed get in line at a decent time. However you never know, port workers, customs to clear the ship can be slow

Edited by Laszlo

7 hours ago, buzzro said:

I will be sailing on the Getaway Nov 28th and it's stopping at Nassau, Ocho Rios, Oranjestad, Willemstad, and Puerto Plata. I'm trying to plan diving in all the ports and the ship is not offering any diving except on Nassau. What time can I except to be able to get off the ship? The posted arrivals are 7:00 and 8:00am. All the dive shops typically leave around 9:00am.

Thanks

The dive shops all know the ship’s schedule and when it is reasonable to book clients. They also know if a ship is going to be late. 

• Like 1

Bird beat me to it, but it seems to me you should be talking to the dive shops.  Regardless of when the ship docks and when you can get off is the matter of how far from the port the dive shops are.  

I've never dived but I have to assume dive shops are just like any other private excursions - they know the ships schedule and they will accommodate.  

Also I suggest checking each ports specific port of call forum here on CC.  Lots of good information there typically.

The arrival times for the various ports that are listed on the itinerary, are the times that the cruise line expects to be ready to start letting people off the ship. They usually arrive at the port before the scheduled time. Of course unexpected delays may happen, but if the ship has a scheduled arrival at 08.00 AM and it is not a tender port, then I would count on being off the ship by "08.15-ish".