Do the "premium" wines suck in Yacht Club?...

Stockjock

On 10/22/2022 at 12:28 PM, lcpagejr said:

Very crowded...people bumping in to you...Dare I say a "Carnival" feel. Gorgeouus ship....poor organization...different answers from different crew.....I've cruised 20+ times, on numerous cruise lines, from interiors and up to Yacht Club.... Once you do it..there is no turning back (atleast on MSC)

That’s interesting. 
Our first MSC cruise we purchased aft facing Fantastica and were given an upgrade to YC for free the day before departure. 

We had a great time however we’ve been on 2

cruises since and did not book YC. 
We also have an upcoming 14 day in December and didn’t book YC.
We love aft facing balconies and the aft balconies on Divina are as large as our patio at home. The balcony in YC was small to average at best. 

All in we’re paying. $4k for our upcoming 14 day cruise with airfare, drinks and WiFi. 
YC for the same cruise is about $6k a person without airfare ($12k total yikes!)

Personally our YC experience was not worth us paying an additional $8k. 
We’ve been cruising for 40 yrs and have been blown away by some cruises but YC was not one of them. 

Out last Divina cruise had 490 passengers. That was a once in a lifetime experience that blew the YC cruise away times 10. 

I’d much rather spend $12k on another exclusive river cruise but that’s just us. 

33 minutes ago, styles27 said:

All in we’re paying. $4k for our upcoming 14 day cruise with airfare, drinks and WiFi. 
YC for the same cruise is about $6k a person without airfare ($12k total yikes!)

To clarify $4k total for the two of us. Aft facing deck 10
1/3 of what YC is for the same cruise.

19 hours ago, Hlitner said:

So we could have fun talking about Opus One.

Or other wines?  

16 hours ago, no1talks said:

if it is known to be Opus? "What the hell is this?!? I can't believe they bothered to even bottle this!!"

That has been my reaction when I have drank it.  For me, I expect a Red to have more 'body" than it did.  It tasted "thin" to me.  

To me that leaves Opus One as a novelty.  If somebody wants to buy me a glass (or bottle) I will be very happy, but you will not see me buying Opus One.

I won't drink Sutter Home White Zin with a $100 steak dinner, but I'll happily drink it if that is what my friend is serving at his burgers & brats cookout.

Someone else is buying, I will be drinking whatever it may be.  (I can't believe that I once liked White Zin.  Those were the days when I was drinking Paul Masson's Rose as my everyday wine and liked it.)  

5 hours ago, styles27 said:

We also did some vineyard tours in Italy, Spain and France and didn’t think anything we tasted was any better than what we get here in the states. 

Taste is subjective. 🤷🏻‍♀️

Subjective taste?  For certain.  Some of the wines of Chile and Argentina are overlooked.  I have drank some Malbecs that I enjoyed; others, not so much.  New Zealand's Pinot Noir is also overlooked, I think.  Their Pinot Noir industry remains in the developing stages, I think.  But, I have tasted some that I thought was good.  

• Like 2

So we could have fun talking about Opus One.

Or other wines?  

17 hours ago, no1talks said:

if it is known to be Opus? "What the hell is this?!? I can't believe they bothered to even bottle this!!"

That has been my reaction when I have drank it.  For me, I expect a Red to have more 'body" than it did.  It tasted "thin" to me.  

To me that leaves Opus One as a novelty.  If somebody wants to buy me a glass (or bottle) I will be very happy, but you will not see me buying Opus One.

I won't drink Sutter Home White Zin with a $100 steak dinner, but I'll happily drink it if that is what my friend is serving at his burgers & brats cookout.

Someone else is buying, I will be drinking whatever it may be.  (I can't believe that I once liked White Zin.  Those were the days when I was drinking Paul Masson's Rose as my everyday wine and liked it.)  

5 hours ago, styles27 said:

We also did some vineyard tours in Italy, Spain and France and didn’t think anything we tasted was any better than what we get here in the states. 

Taste is subjective. 🤷🏻‍♀️

Subjective taste?  For certain.  Some of the wines of Chile and Argentina are overlooked.  I have drank some Malbecs that I enjoyed; others, not so much.  New Zealand's Pinot Noir is also overlooked, I think.  Their Pinot Noir industry remains in the developing stages, I think.  But, I have tasted some that I thought was good.  

• Like 1

White Zin?  ARGH!  Is that even wine? :).  There is quite a history surrounding Zinfandel and I imagine some white zin drinkers think it is a pink grape  :LOL.   But we do send our thanks to the west coast vintners who bothered with the Zinfandel grape and eventually developed some excellent red wines.  Zinfandel is a welcome varietal in our home as a terrific change of pace from the usual Cabs and Pinots.

Hank

2 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

It is a "light tasting" wine.  

Ahhhh, I love wine talk :).  We have found some Zins to be surprisingly medium to medium full bodied with a distinct peppery taste.  I think it is a wine that has yet to gain a huge fan base, but if somebody makes a "Sideways" movie that features "Zin" it would likely soar.  We live in a country where fads are more important than reality.  Do you remember "pet rocks and Lava lamps?"

Hank

• Like 1