Laundry package

BuckGood

The laundry bag holds a surprising amount (ask any seasoned SB cruiser) and I have always had excellent service from it, though I have over the years read just one or two complaints from others.  Our things arrive back pressed and on hangers, or if nightwear or similar nicely folded in a basket.  If you roll everything up, you will be amazed at how many shirts, blouses, dresses etc. you can get into the bag. Make  sure your list is absolutely correct.

• Like 1

@BuckGood Just to clarify: you can send out items to the laundry "a la carte"; you don't have to fill the $50 bag. The bag generally is cheaper than a la carte if you have small/lightweight items (underwear, socks) and things you can roll/fold tightly (t-shirts). For dress shirts, pants, heavier dresses, etc. you might prefer to do them a la carte rather than trying to squish them into the bag. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, cruiseej said:

@BuckGood Just to clarify: you can send out items to the laundry "a la carte"; you don't have to fill the $50 bag. The bag generally is cheaper than a la carte if you have small/lightweight items (underwear, socks) and things you can roll/fold tightly (t-shirts). For dress shirts, pants, heavier dresses, etc. you might prefer to do them a la carte rather than trying to squish them into the bag. 

Correct!

A couple more useful bits:

1.  There is a free self-service laundry (not sure what ship you will be sailing on, was deck 5 on the little type, e.g., Quest).

Some people prefer to do their own delicate or finicky pieces there (or if they are in a hurry), to avoid destruction, shrinkage, etc.

DH and I have mostly easy care stuff on cruises so we'd rather spend the time lounging instead of washing 🙂

2.  The $50 bag charge (or a la carte charges)  is for next day service (e.g., if you get it in my 9am on Monday, you will get it back the next day before dinner).  For express (same day) you pay 50% more.

Pressing and dry cleaning have different charges. 

There are times ("Covid" and all that) where you may not get it back the next day before dinner, but usually you do. On cruises that are not busy, you may even get it back same day, without paying extra!

3.  I suggest taking an iphone picture of your top laundry submission sheet (it's a triplicate) as the copy you keep from the bottom is very dim .  Also maybe write down a little information too, e.g., "black "  shirt, or "grey" pants. This is so you know what is out and what is back (especially on a longer cruise), and check off items as they come back in batches.

That way if some laundry pieces do not come back the next day, or the day after that, or only a few come back, and you call and staff initially say all has been returned to you, you have evidence with which you can start the hunt for your missing items.

On my cruise a few weeks ago two pairs of expensive slacks had disappeared (all from the same batch). Fortunately we had 1) a picture of the submission slip, and 2) a proactive Seabourn Square staff person to helped successfully have the  laundry people track them down.

18 hours ago, Catlover54 said:

Correct!

A couple more useful bits:

1.  There is a free self-service laundry (not sure what ship you will be sailing on, was deck 5 on the little type, e.g., Quest).

Some people prefer to do their own delicate or finicky pieces there (or if they are in a hurry), to avoid destruction, shrinkage, etc.

DH and I have mostly easy care stuff on cruises so we'd rather spend the time lounging instead of washing 🙂

2.  The $50 bag charge (or a la carte charges)  is for next day service (e.g., if you get it in my 9am on Monday, you will get it back the next day before dinner).  For express (same day) you pay 50% more.

Pressing and dry cleaning have different charges. 

There are times ("Covid" and all that) where you may not get it back the next day before dinner, but usually you do. On cruises that are not busy, you may even get it back same day, without paying extra!

3.  I suggest taking an iphone picture of your top laundry submission sheet (it's a triplicate) as the copy you keep from the bottom is very dim .  Also maybe write down a little information too, e.g., "black "  shirt, or "grey" pants. This is so you know what is out and what is back (especially on a longer cruise), and check off items as they come back in batches.

That way if some laundry pieces do not come back the next day, or the day after that, or only a few come back, and you call and staff initially say all has been returned to you, you have evidence with which you can start the hunt for your missing items.

On my cruise a few weeks ago two pairs of expensive slacks had disappeared (all from the same batch). Fortunately we had 1) a picture of the submission slip, and 2) a proactive Seabourn Square staff person to helped successfully have the  laundry people track them down.

Will be boarding the Sojourn next Sunday!

4 hours ago, BuckGood said:

Thanks all, we have been on Seabourn before but did our own laundry just thought they might have offered a weekly/full cruise package like some other cruise lines do.

Once you get status, you can choose (among other benefit choices) to get 1 bag of "free" laundry per person per 7 days.  Your partner/spouse may also choose to get similar free laundry if she is of the same status. So a suite can then get 2 bags free per week.  

The higher the status, the more other benefits you can choose (if you don't sweat a lot, or prefer to just do your own laundry, you then can get other benefits).

The benefits options for status may not be of interest to you right now if you have none, but if you like SB, and decide to rebook (with an on board booking discount) , you can study what they are on the SB website (or, SB square personnel can go over them with you).  For some other benefits (like discounts on shore excursions), only one person need have the status to have it apply to both.  These can add up if you do both shore excursions via SB and also order premium wine (where a higher status can get you 25% off the stated, quite inflated price).

We don't pick our cruises based on the few hundred dollars we can get in benefits, including laundry,  due to status (we mix and match), but if you love the line and that's all you will cruise, when you compare its price with that of other lines, per diem, of course take the benefits into account. 

I wish you a wonderful cruise!

• Like 1

We managed to fit nearly a weeks worth of laundry in the bag and put the remaining (socks, underwear, workout gear, etc…) in the self-serve on the way to dinner, put it in the dryer between dinner & showtime and collected it on our way back to stateroom before nightcaps.  $50 was covered by onboard credit.

To clarify, for the Silver level of Seabourn points, you can elect one bag of laundry per CRUISE.  Above that it's one bag per week, until you get to Diamond when it's unlimited.  We can put almost a week's worth in a bag....I added up the per item cost on one of my bags on our last cruise and got $97.  On our south American/Amazon trip when we were sweaty, sometimes a bit muddy and had ample mosquito repellant on our clothes, we did quite a bit of self serve.  I've never had an issue with the laundry.  Love finding the little tags months later at home.  

• Like 1

On 10/22/2022 at 8:05 PM, Catlover54 said:

3.  I suggest taking an iphone picture of your top laundry submission sheet

Bummer...I don't have an IPhone.  My husband, who works for Apple, would divorce me if I bought one.  Sad for me. ☹️

1 hour ago, scamper said:

I don't have an IPhone.  My husband, who works for Apple, would divorce me if I bought one.

If your husband works for Apple, he can get an iPhone at a discount... why wouldn't you have one? Why would he divorce you if you got one??

34 minutes ago, cruiseej said:

If your husband works for Apple, he can get an iPhone at a discount... why wouldn't you have one? Why would he divorce you if you got one??

Because, according to him, they are overpriced crap.  Since he works for Apple, I believe him.

• Like 1

Just now, scamper said:

Because, according to him, they are overpriced crap.  Since he works for Apple, I believe him.

Oh, and PS, Apple employees get little to no discount on their products.  In fairness, however, he works for Apple in Ireland.  What they may or may not give in the US is another matter.

On 10/22/2022 at 4:17 PM, lincslady said:

The laundry bag holds a surprising amount (ask any seasoned SB cruiser) and I have always had excellent service from it, though I have over the years read just one or two complaints from others.  Our things arrive back pressed and on hangers, or if nightwear or similar nicely folded in a basket.  If you roll everything up, you will be amazed at how many shirts, blouses, dresses etc. you can get into the bag. Make  sure your list is absolutely correct.

agreed!.. My wife is an expert at stuffing the bag  (There are youtube videos with tips).  I actually added up what the cost would be if we paid per item and it was over $125 worth of clothes. $50 was a bargain - and the "free bag as a perk for silver member - made it even better.  

• Like 1

On 10/28/2022 at 4:42 PM, scamper said:

Overpriced? Absolutely. Crap? I'd argue that one. (That's not saying a different brand of phone might not be better, but it's a far cry from the Apple phones being "crap".)

On 10/28/2022 at 4:44 PM, scamper said:

Oh, and PS, Apple employees get little to no discount on their products.

In the US, Apple employees do get discounts on Apple products. I believe the amount varies; it's more on a Mac than on an iPhone. It's not a massive discount, but on products which are rarely discounted at all, something > nothing. 😉

On 10/28/2022 at 3:42 PM, scamper said:

It's a shame your husband is not proud of the company he works for.  I'm sure if they knew his true feelings, he would be encouraged to work elsewhere.  And, as someone else said, some of the products may be overpriced (what isn't these days?), but they work quite well.  I'm happy with my Apple products starting with my laptop, my Ipad, and my Iphone.  Just a suggestion,  don't make this kind of comment unless you are truly sure you are  anonymous.  

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/31/2022 at 3:40 PM, SLSD said:

It's a shame your husband is not proud of the company he works for.  I'm sure if they knew his true feelings, he would be encouraged to work elsewhere.  And, as someone else said, some of the products may be overpriced (what isn't these days?), but they work quite well.  I'm happy with my Apple products starting with my laptop, my Ipad, and my Iphone.  Just a suggestion,  don't make this kind of comment unless you are truly sure you are  anonymous.  

Trust me...a departure is happily in the works.

On 10/31/2022 at 3:36 PM, cruiseej said:

Overpriced? Absolutely. Crap? I'd argue that one. (That's not saying a different brand of phone might not be better, but it's a far cry from the Apple phones being "crap".)

In the US, Apple employees do get discounts on Apple products. I believe the amount varies; it's more on a Mac than on an iPhone. It's not a massive discount, but on products which are rarely discounted at all, something > nothing. 😉

To each, his own. ☺️ Employees are offered nothing (or very little) in the way of discounts in Ireland.  Regardless of our relationship, I feel confident he knows what he's talking about.  I am very happy you're pleased with your products.

• 2 weeks later...