Haven’t even sailed yet, silversea already struggling

Millennialcruiser24

I’m a first time Silversea cruiser, not a first time overall cruiser. That being said - back in 2020 I booked an Antarctica cruise. It naturally has been delayed and I’m finally departing Feb 2023, no issues with that.

but I haven’t even sailed yet and have had a few issues: 

1. Silversea booked atrocious flight options across 3 airlines, 2 of which are NOT partner / team airlines (meaning domestic terminal changes on layovers, not to mention what is necessary for international), for my flights. I found a single-airline option for the same price, so I had them refund the $1500 and booked my own. Not ideal for a “luxury all inclusive” cruise but we got it sorted.

2. Transfer fees - I arranged the refund with my SS agent to still cover airport to hotel transfers. SS agent quoted me one rate for this via email, charged me another on the receipt. Despite quoting me Rate A in writing via email, is refusing to honor that rate and quite literally said “well you can book your own.” The SS agent has spent a 22 email thread going back and forth on this instead of honoring what he quoted.

3. I have dietary restrictions and had asked for a list of what beverage options might be available to choose for our minibar once onboard. SS agent has danced around this question / can’t give me a straight answer, not even “will there be sugar free beverage options”. 

is this indicative of what I can expect onboard too? I’ve had less issues than this cruising with Royal Caribbean for naturally significantly less cost. 😅

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Millennialcruiser24 said:

I’m a first time Silversea cruiser, not a first time overall cruiser. That being said - back in 2020 I booked an Antarctica cruise. It naturally has been delayed and I’m finally departing Feb 2023, no issues with that.

but I haven’t even sailed yet and have had a few issues: 

1. Silversea booked atrocious flight options across 3 airlines, 2 of which are NOT partner / team airlines (meaning domestic terminal changes on layovers, not to mention what is necessary for international), for my flights. I found a single-airline option for the same price, so I had them refund the $1500 and booked my own. Not ideal for a “luxury all inclusive” cruise but we got it sorted.

2. Transfer fees - I arranged the refund with my SS agent to still cover airport to hotel transfers. SS agent quoted me one rate for this via email, charged me another on the receipt. Despite quoting me Rate A in writing via email, is refusing to honor that rate and quite literally said “well you can book your own.” The SS agent has spent a 22 email thread going back and forth on this instead of honoring what he quoted.

3. I have dietary restrictions and had asked for a list of what beverage options might be available to choose for our minibar once onboard. SS agent has danced around this question / can’t give me a straight answer, not even “will there be sugar free beverage options”. 

is this indicative of what I can expect onboard too? I’ve had less issues than this cruising with Royal Caribbean for naturally significantly less cost. 😅

This sounds too familiar.

1.  Going forward, almost always book your own air, hotels, and transfers (sometimes that is near impossible, sadly). YOU are in control that way (though might pay more, not always).

But have good travel insurance in case of sudden "Covid" cancellations or delays.

2.  There will almost certainly be sugar free beverages (coke, sprite or 7-up in diet form, or similar), though maybe not your brand of choice (e.g., maybe diet pepsi instead of diet coke).  And there is always club soda, in a pinch, or iced tea. Don't worry about stocking your fridge until on board, get it from your room steward/butler.

But DO bring your favorite sweetener of choice in little baggies, just in case the one there is not to your liking. 

With almost all luxury lines, service on board is better than the admin before

Edited by Catlover54
Typo
  • Like 4

Ok first thank you, good to know service is better onboard. Thank you as well for the info on sugar free - one tiny answer has righted so much of the stress! I appreciate you. 💛

just heard back from my SS agent - after 24 back and forth emails he made the executive decision to UNDO my cruise-only (no flights) and put the $1500 charge back without my consent, so now we’re arguing over transfer cost AND the fact that there are two sets of flights booked (mine and silversea’s). 

He’s very clearly stressed out in the email thread,  communication is degrading by the minute and now this “snap decision” when re-adding the Silversea flights has never been on the table. 

I’m just going to call silversea directly on Monday and see if I can get it sorted. 

I'm in a somewhat similar situation, booked in 2019 for a 2021 Japan cruise, that was cancelled and rebooked for an early 2022 Japan cruise, that was cancelled (at the very last minute, even though it was obvious it wasn't going to go) and rebooked via email to a Caribbean cruise.  I thought it was all settled, but just today I received a surprise notice to pay an extra $2k+ with a backdated payment due date in September and no indication of what the extra money is supposed to be for. 

I've never been able to get ahold of anyone on the phone, so I sent an email and left a message, and hopefully this will get worked out.  This could turn out to be the best cruise ever and I don't think I'm going to want to deal with Silversea ever again :(

Just a suggestion but booking through a good travel agent instead of directly can alleviate so many of these stressful situations.  It doesn't cost more & most will  arrange an onboard credit in addition to running interference for you when situations like these arise.

Yes, the service will be so much better on board & these annoying things will disappear with the first glass of welcome champagne.🍾

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

SS first booked me on flights I didn't like, so had my TA contact them and ask for options.  Was able to change my flights with no extra costs, and you probably can too so long as not ticketed yet 

We did Antarctica on Cloud in Dec 2019.  WONDERFUL trip.  

Diet Coke or Coke Zero/Light available.  I drank iced tea at meals 

Definitely call and talk to someone directly.  Good luck getting everything resolved to your satisfaction.

• 3 months later...

I am struggling to believe that we are here again. 

So awhile back I posted about my issues with my flights. Thankfully those have been resolved. Couple new issues that I am hoping for sage advice from this group on. 

1. I booked my 2023 (Feb 25) Antarctica cruise originally in 2020 (cancelled due to covid) then rebooked in January 2021. I booked under a promotion where if you paid for the cruise in full (PIF) within 30 days from booking, you would receive a discount, great and wonderful. Apparently this discount no longer exists (no big deal). 

2. We're obviously 19 days out from embarkation, I have heard nothing on Blacklane and transfers yet. I called this morning, was told I should have received an email, they resent me the info. Went to book my transfers, I have no "transfer credits" available. Apparently Blacklane only launched in Summer 2022 and before that the home-to-airport transfers were not complimentary (not how I was sold on the trip, but I digress) and the discount I received for PIF precludes me from included transfers. They've only just now discovered this and informed me, 19 days from embarkation, despite all along being told these were included and providing me the information just this morning on how to use my "included transfers." 

On top of all of the other issues I've had before I even get on board, the mind is boggled at how this all is considered a luxury cruising experience. Not to mention, I have had serious issues with my Cruise Consultant and have requested a new one, yet keep getting sent to the original one. 

51 minutes ago, Millennialcruiser24 said:

I am struggling to believe that we are here again. 

So awhile back I posted about my issues with my flights. Thankfully those have been resolved. Couple new issues that I am hoping for sage advice from this group on. 

1. I booked my 2023 (Feb 25) Antarctica cruise originally in 2020 (cancelled due to covid) then rebooked in January 2021. I booked under a promotion where if you paid for the cruise in full (PIF) within 30 days from booking, you would receive a discount, great and wonderful. Apparently this discount no longer exists (no big deal). 

2. We're obviously 19 days out from embarkation, I have heard nothing on Blacklane and transfers yet. I called this morning, was told I should have received an email, they resent me the info. Went to book my transfers, I have no "transfer credits" available. Apparently Blacklane only launched in Summer 2022 and before that the home-to-airport transfers were not complimentary (not how I was sold on the trip, but I digress) and the discount I received for PIF precludes me from included transfers. They've only just now discovered this and informed me, 19 days from embarkation, despite all along being told these were included and providing me the information just this morning on how to use my "included transfers." 

On top of all of the other issues I've had before I even get on board, the mind is boggled at how this all is considered a luxury cruising experience. Not to mention, I have had serious issues with my Cruise Consultant and have requested a new one, yet keep getting sent to the original one. 

Hmm. That's worrying. My Muse Japan cruise at the time of booking (Jan 2022 I think and in similar circumstances to yours) certainly showed home to airport transfers included and it 100% showed those transfers at the time in my.silversea and indeed still does. Funnily because I'd recently changed the booking to include an extra in Osaka pre-cruise. My.silversea home to airport transfer dates were also updated accordingly to reflect that detail. I did ask my TA about blacklane and she said she thought SS contacted about that about a month before departure. Unfunnily - Ive noticed that my home transfer return is booked for the flight departure date without taking into account that the flight lands the next day.

I trust this isn't about to play out for me as well as I wont be too happy. I just attempted to check out the price of parking for these dates needed and with it getting nearer to departure they have inflated massively on top of a large chunk of inflation no doubt.

I just hope this isn't yet another battle - which is getting tiresome.

image.thumb.png.091e29fa79159cfa95d4318d7bad6853.png

Hopefully I've not misread that and it is as I've said. As you can see on the bottom - there is an error since on the 11th we have a post hotel booked. They have the hotel to airport transfer correct on the right day, but home transfer is showing as the same day and like I said, is an overnighter so should be the 13th.

Does it read as I've suggested or am I going bonkers?

image.png.0ae20dc6fc9a96138364c311692b0686.png

This was the updated invoice I was sent after added the extra day in Osaka. (I've crossed out some of the detail since what I paid and discounts applied are not relevant.) As you can see, it shows "Private executive transfer" - "included" - which I assume means home transfer. It wasn't mentioned on my booking for next months cruise and that was booked prior to home transfers added. As I said, this was booked via a FCC transfer in Jan 2022 - way before the Summer 2022 suggested that it was introduced. I think they got their facts wrong there.

A friend of mine actually got a quote from SS for the same cruise a couple of weeks ago and their details on their invoice is the same as mine. Strangely on both, the transfers are only post flight out and pre flight home - but guess that's because SS has already booked these and the Blacklane is booked by the guest. I would still have thought it would be mentioned. It's not on either quote / invoice.

My booking for next month, which was before the "limo transfers from home" was introduced, does not mention executive transfers, nor is it shown in my.silversea, so understandably about a year ago we booked a pre flight hotel and parking, which had it not been included in April on this booking, we would have done the same for half the price now quoted. Silversea certainly did add excursions included prior to adding home transfers as well. No idea of the date though - but it was definitely before Jan 2022.

Having dug this out, I'm feeling a little more confident about this.

OP - does it show "Private Executive Transfer" on the invoice as shown above? Hope this has been helpful.

I have been back from my SS Antarctic cruise about two weeks.  This will be far from your last frustrating experience with the SS experience before boarding.  Please be prepared for a total lack of proper or complete communication from the contractors they use in Chile.  Good news, once I was on the ship, all was perfect.  

We had very few problems Jan 2023 cruise.  Dining on the ship does need a little work, some restaurants more than others.  A little mix-up on something we order thur guest services- actually they didn’t even look at the request.  After checking around, other lines are having the same problem.  We’ll be on another Silversea cruise in December.