Breakfast of Champion Cruisers... what are your favorite breakfast options on Viking Cruise?

Liz Masterson

9 hours ago, Liz Masterson said:

There are so many options for breakfast on the Viking Ocean vessels! What are your favorite splurge breakfasts? What are the quickest options? Do you have any special breakfast memories from your cruise? Best healthy options? Sea Day vs Port Day preferences? Is there anything you avoid? 

Breakfast in the room: coffee, juice, smoothies, granola, berries; or, in The Restaurant, salmon Benedict. 

• Like 1

Made to order benny with extra hollandaise or made to order omelette with hollandaise, crisp bacon, and a warm croissant with butter! Maybe some fresh fruit too! I'm getting hungry just thinking about it. Looking forward to our next cruise on the Polaris but don't know if their options are the same as on the larger ocean ships. I'm not sure if they serve breakfast and lunch in the dining room. There is no Chef's Table, but they do have Manfredi's and Mamsen's.

Edited by Insanityx4
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, CCWineLover said:

And you have to often ask, but each morning they make delicious smoothies with different fruits.  Sometimes they will walk them around but not often.   You can also order the smoothies for room service!

I never saw any smoothies.  Where do you get them from????  Would love to get them on my February cruise on Viking Mars

• Like 1

If you don’t see servers walking around with them, you can ask a server, or go to the fruit section in the WC and the prep person there will pour you one. I don’t know if you can order one up in the Restaurant because we’ve never eaten there for breakfast. We love the WC for brekkie.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jim Avery said:

Yes, eggs bennie.  Now Andy, whatever happened to Haggis and a beer??🤢

That reminds me of SS Oriana, when I met Judi. At breakfast, she managed to have a mug of tea, while I tucked into a plate full of bacon & eggs, and all the trimmings, washed down with a pint of "Heavy". Great days & great memories.

Mind you I was 4-8 watch, so had already worked 1/2 day by 08:00.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Selion said:

Medium-rare lamb chops & eggs in The Restaurant.

This is my husband's go-to breakfast any time we have the time to eat in the Restaurant for breakfast.  We love room service for early port days - we've found that they don't limit us to the room service breakfast menu.  We usually write in whatever we want, and at least pre-Covid, everything always came on time and piping hot.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

My favorite breakfast option on a Viking cruise... breakfast on the Aquavit Terrace overlooking the port of the day.

image.png.bba1a77d3bf0324732bafeecd71a91c7.png

This particular photo was in the Cabo San Lucas, Mexico... our first port of call after leaving Los Angeles on the 21/22 World Cruise.  The breakfast itself consisted of a waffle with some side dishes of bacon, sausage and some potato wedges accompanied by fresh orange juice.  Not necessarily anything special compared to other breakfasts I enjoyed during the trip, but it was the ambiance and atmosphere that made it so memorable.   Maybe I'll post some of my breakfast food photos to whet our appetites. 

• Like 5

4 hours ago, keokukjoe said:

I understand that the room service breakfast menu doesn't have certain items that we would like (eg eggs benedict, lamb chops). Is it possible to "write in" these items and get them for room service? 

Maybe?? But I feel like that is asking A LOT. Since they are serving so many room service breakfasts at once. Espcially on busy port days with lots of early excursions. 

• Like 3

I've always liked the cinnamon rolls in the WC, so ooey goey.  But on our recent Alaska cruise they were "different" and not nearly as good as usual.  Their croissants are good and I like the pistachio bun from the Viking Bar (deck 1).  The Lyonnaise potatoes in the WC are good but the hash browns are tooth-breakingly hard - no tender middle at all.  The best location for breakfast...the Aquavit Terrace.

• Like 1

I’m usually an eggs Benedict girl, with a side of hash browns and sautéed mushrooms.  But then I had the Creole Omelet in The Restaurant for breakfast one day and it was so yummy.  It’s served with a tomatillo type verde sauce and plantain chips.  I had to add that one to the daily rotation!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, LisaDee said:

I’m usually an eggs Benedict girl, with a side of hash browns and sautéed mushrooms.  But then I had the Creole Omelet in The Restaurant for breakfast one day and it was so yummy.  It’s served with a tomatillo type verde sauce and plantain chips.  I had to add that one to the daily rotation!

Some of your favs in different combination are some of my Viking World Cafe breakfast go-to's

image.png.094a5a9edc024112d03d6adfa485ccf5.png

image.png.a59157f58a43a9d4accae47d3cba35ed.png

image.png.7f2074a515ef1b23e75d30af758e3a0d.png

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Sunflower & The Scientist said:

CCWineLover....have you found smoked herring at Mansons? I have only seen it on Octantis in WC and I'd love to know I can find it at Mansons, I hadn't looked there.  

We also travel with a good supply of all sizes of ziplocks. 

There are usually 3 different herrings in Mamsen's on Ocean but i have never tasted a smoked.  White wine, red wine, sour cream...

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Liz Masterson said:

Maybe?? But I feel like that is asking A LOT. Since they are serving so many room service breakfasts at once. Espcially on busy port days with lots of early excursions. 

I agree.  We do write in things like cream for the coffee or Earl Grey for the tea.  If i was getting room service breakfast during a later time frame when the WC or restaurant was already open, i might try it.  But we usually have breakfast delivered really early when the WC isn't even making the eggs benedict yet.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TayanaLorna said:

There are usually 3 different herrings in Mamsen's on Ocean but i have never tasted a smoked.  White wine, red wine, sour cream...

Lorna - that is what we found also at Mamsen's.  No Smoked herring.

Still great!   Making me anxious to get back on board!  You too?

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Liz Masterson said:

this is pre-Covid, but we wrote in items we wanted every time we ordered room service breakfast and they were always accommodated.  That said, we never ordered anything complicated like Eggs Benedict or the lamb chops...didn't want to push our luck or cause them aggravation.  I don't think boiled eggs, for example, were on the standard room service card, but I generally got two hard-boiled eggs as part of the order in the morning.  

4 hours ago, Liz Masterson said:

I poked around the internet and found this page on Mamsen's. Including the menu. https://mamsens.com/welcome

I have tried all of the cold sandwiches but have never seen the warm ones listed on the menu.They serve a lobster and shrimp stew/soup which I have only found once and it was amazing. The best berries on the ship are usually served in the morning to go with the waffles. I have never tried the waffle but the berries are so good.

Edited by Insanityx4
  • Like 1

On 10/24/2022 at 8:06 PM, UWDawg said:

My favorite breakfast option on a Viking cruise... breakfast on the Aquavit Terrace overlooking the port of the day.

image.png.bba1a77d3bf0324732bafeecd71a91c7.png

This particular photo was in the Cabo San Lucas, Mexico... our first port of call after leaving Los Angeles on the 21/22 World Cruise.  The breakfast itself consisted of a waffle with some side dishes of bacon, sausage and some potato wedges accompanied by fresh orange juice.  Not necessarily anything special compared to other breakfasts I enjoyed during the trip, but it was the ambiance and atmosphere that made it so memorable.   Maybe I'll post some of my breakfast food photos to whet our appetites. 

Yes please…

• Like 1